Marvel Animation at the San Diego Comic-Con 2019

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I would expect Marvel Studios to save What If? and the other TV stuff for D23 or something else as well.

Thinking about the nostalgia panel has me wondering if there really might be something to them revisiting old shows in some way. It still feels weird seeing them acknowledge everything so much this year, before the purchase even finalized, after the past 7 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
I would expect Marvel Studios to save What If? and the other TV stuff for D23 or something else as well.

Thinking about the nostalgia panel has me wondering if there really might be something to them revisiting old shows in some way. It still feels weird seeing them acknowledge everything so much this year, before the purchase even finalized, after the past 7 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Especially in light of the fact that the writers for X-Men: TAS approached Disney about a revival.

Doesn't actually have to mean anything, but the timing is somewhat coincidental...

TheLemsterPju

Especially in light of the fact that the writers for X-Men: TAS approached Disney about a revival.

Doesn't actually have to mean anything, but the timing is somewhat coincidental...

If Marvel's plan is to bring back old stuff, well, they lost.

TBH many of those campaigning for that haven't been the most respectful folks on the Internet, to put it nicely.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It was said that Lego Spiderman would premiere in June. At this point, they have to discuss it.

Roxas_Sora

I know I already said this before, but whatever they are going to show in the panel, they better include info, spoilers and details for the upcoming episode and season of "Marvel's Spider-Man". After waiting for more than a year, I'm not willing to wait until NYCC for news about Spidey.

Frontier

Staff member
I know I already said this before, but whatever they are going to show in the panel, they better include info, spoilers and details for the upcoming episode and season of "Marvel's Spider-Man". After waiting for more than a year, I'm not willing to wait until NYCC for news about Spidey.
If not at SDCC, they might mention more at D23.

Although, actually, aside from the big Marvel's Spider-Man reveal that was there originally, I'm not quite sure how much of a presence the Marvel cartoons usually have at D23.

That being said, Cort Lane said we'd be getting announcements over the Summer so one way or another I think we'll have stuff to talk about...

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I don't recall Marvel's Spiderman ever being represented at D23, or any other Marvel animated project. I think Phineas And Ferb Mission Marvel had it in 2013, but that was primarily promoting Phineas And Ferb.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't recall Marvel's Spiderman ever being represented at D23, or any other Marvel animated project. I think Phineas And Ferb Mission Marvel had it in 2013, but that was primarily promoting Phineas And Ferb.
There was one Marvel Animation panel that had a big announcement of stuff for Marvel's Spider-Man before it premiered, but that's about it.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
D23 is every two years, so there was really only one chance for Marvel's Spider-Man to be present there. Here's the thread from 2017.

Also worth noting in 2017 D23 took place earlier, and before SDCC. Comparing the two events, Comic-Con had considerably less info back then (here's the thread), though they also screened the first two episodes for Spider-Man. I believe at past cons at that point they only showed clips from it.

Anyway, back on topic, I doubt they would talk much or at all about the show this year at SDCC. Given the panel announced so far is only a retrospective, I would think the best case scenario is just a quick mention of what the show featured so far. But I guess we'll see. (D23 in late August would probably be a better place to talk about Spidey's show considering it's supposed to return in September. The next Comic-Con in New York is in October, I think, and that will probably feature the show as well, but it's too early to start speculating on all that).

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
D23 is every two years, so there was really only one chance for Marvel's Spider-Man to be present there. Here's the thread from 2017.

Also worth noting in 2017 D23 took place earlier, and before SDCC. Comparing the two events, Comic-Con had considerably less info back then (here's the thread), though they also screened the first two episodes for Spider-Man. I believe at past cons at that point they only showed clips from it.

Anyway, back on topic, I doubt they would talk much or at all about the show this year at SDCC. Given the panel announced so far is only a retrospective, I would think the best case scenario is just a quick mention of what the show featured so far. But I guess we'll see. (D23 in late August would probably be a better place to talk about Spidey's show considering it's supposed to return in September. The next Comic-Con in New York is in October, I think, and that will probably feature the show as well, but it's too early to start speculating on all that).
Josh Keaton will be at the retrospective panel. I could see him mentioning voicing Norman/The Green Goblin in the current Spidey stuff, which is about as much I see them touching on that stuff :sweat:.

TheLemsterPju

Giving into the demands of people who have complained for almost a decade, harassed fans, writers and showrunners of the current stuff is not a win in my book.

Trust me, even if that's not all of the 'detractors', it's still appealing to the bad ones.

Marvel should move forward with new and different animated projects, not backwards by returning to old projects. If people still have an issue with that, that's their problem.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I don't even know if Marvel could really pull off proper revivals to be honest.

Like, for one, they would need to make the effort to get back all the original staff because the revival probably wouldn't feel right otherwise but that would also probably require a lot of effort.

And then there's the question of whether the production values of modern Marvel Animation could even pull off capturing the look and feel of older cartoons, especially when looked at side-by-side it seems like Marvel's downgraded rather then improved on that front.

In all honestly I have as much confidence in Marvel being able to do a proper revival and return of an old series as I do of them making a show that truly feels on par with one of their older shows.

Roxas_Sora

Revivals might not be a good way to make money, but that's the problem with cliffhangers; people won't be happy until they see a proper end to a story they liked and followed.

This happened with Sherlock Homes' books of Arthur Conan Doyle. Sick of his own character, Doyle killed Holmes in their final confrontation with Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls. However, after being pressured by their editors and readers, he was forced to resurrect Holmes and continue his books.

RoryWilliams

Giving into the demands of people who have complained for almost a decade, harassed fans, writers and showrunners of the current stuff is not a win in my book.

Trust me, even if that's not all of the 'detractors', it's still appealing to the bad ones.

Not doing something people want just because it might also appeal to bad eggs is a pretty bad precedent for running a business.

Marvel should move forward with new and different animated projects, not backwards by returning to old projects. If people still have an issue with that, that's their problem.

Conversely, if people have problems with the possibility of revisiting old projects, that's on them. But with the advent of streaming and increased nostalgia, it's only a matter of time at this point.

TheLemsterPju

It really depends on the product especially, but also how vocal the bad eggs are, what they're saying and the size of their viewership/following. Honestly, I'd prefer if shows like Spectacular Spider-Man or Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes are never brought back because of the storm of toxicity that would erupt from both sides; fans of old and new.

The 90s X-Men cartoon I wouldn't care too much about, since that had an ending and has already been brought back in comic form. Just being real here, but I don't see any bigger picture beyond a revival of that show, if even that or say Wolverine and the X-Men somehow (which wouldn't bother me too much since there hasn't been an X-Men cartoon after that), if that's what some are hoping for.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts