"Young Justice: Outsiders" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this season

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Feeling the aster

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I wonder, if in the event he forms his own team, if they might use BB's house like the old Titans clubhouse the Fab Five used to live out of. Probably more practical then Titans Tower :sweat:.
Love it.

I did find it interesting they mentioned all the bureaucracy that's preventhing them from doing something with the Hall of Justice remains. I mean, not that there's much of a point to rebuilding the Hall of Justice, but it makes you wonder what they might do with it :confused:.
It would be pretty hilarious if the JL built a secret base under the Hall of Justice site.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Edit: Oh yeah. Apparently we have our first curse word, so... that's something.
The phrase "going through hell" is not a curse. Xanatos used it on the kiddie cartoon Gargoyles. The word hell can be also used as a curse but that's a legitimate allegory.

Unless you're referring to what Guy said. But that was cut off.

Young Justice: Outsiders “Influence”

What was up with the sounds of peeing and flushing in the end credits?

The climax was exciting but the rest of the episode was too talky. And Godfrey is still super annoying. He sure likes stirring the pot.

Guy Gardner is pretty great though. Animation has done right by him since Green Lantern: The Animated Series. He’s stopped being merely the annoying Lantern. He’s also now the funny one.

I liked the last five minutes more than the first 20. ***1/2.

Young Justice: Outsiders “Leverage”

Ed is annoying. Plus his voice sounds middle-aged instead of the teenager he is supposed to be.

Speaking of wrong sounding voices, the baby being voiced by an adult woman made me cringe. That is something to used to be a problem 20 years ago, but modern projects have mostly been actually using little kids. A voice actress playing a baby sounds incredibly fake and always has.

I think this is the first time Rocket Red has been seen in animation since JLU. Unlike JLU, he actually got an origin story here. I like the JLU version’s design better though. This one looks too much like Iron Man.

Amanda Waller is JUST learning about The Team? She is really bad at her job. You might think the same about the League, but it’s clear Task Force X was recently established. The Team has been a thing for years.

For the record, The Team is just about the worst and most generic name any organization could bestow a covert ops mission. I don’t care whatever excuse Weisman uses for it on Ask Greg, it’s an incredibly dumb, implausible idea.

Didn’t much like this episode. **1/2.

Young Justice: Outsiders “Illusion Of Control”

I’m really disappointed in the voice acting on this show. It’s gotten shrill and stilted, and they have too many of the same actors voicing different characters. The show does not actually suck, and is the best written Weisman thing in a good long while. But the performances make everything seem all that less convincing. I have heard people note that the animation quality has dipped on DC Universe, but that hasn’t been enough for me to either notice, or enjoy the show less. It’s just the performances have been phoned in this year. Completely.

It was good to get updates on Jaime and Virgil. I was wondering what they had gotten up to.

Not great. **1/2.

Batboy84

The phrase "going through hell" is not a curse. Xanatos used it on the kiddie cartoon Gargoyles. The word hell can be also used as a curse but that's a legitimate allegory.

Unless you're referring to what Guy said. But that was cut off.
I was referring to the former. And yeah, I completely agree that it's a perfect metaphor for what those kids went through (hence my relative lack of a reaction towards it), but there are people out there who consider it a curse word even given that context, myself included.

And I didn't even get what Guy was going to say until I checked this thread. lol (edit: On second thought, I think I found out elsewhere. Everything's blurring together. lol)

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I was referring to the former. And yeah, I completely agree that it's a perfect metaphor for what those kids went through (hence my relative lack of a reaction towards it), but there are people out there who consider it a curse word even given that context, myself included.

And I didn't even get what Guy was going to say until I checked this thread. lol
I definitely consider hell a curse sometimes. But it's also a legit word. I think the way the episode used it was legit. If the episode had a character say "What the hell?" or "a hell of a thing" I think that would be cursing. This is using the word as the proper allegory.

Batboy84

I definitely consider hell a curse sometimes. But it's also a legit word. I think the way the episode used it was legit. If the episode had a character say "What the hell?" or "a hell of a thing" I think that would be cursing. This is using the word as the proper allegory.
[That's] Fair enough.

Mod Note: A post must be at least a 3 word sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Fair enough.
I'm not arguing that the word is never a curse or that people who don't use it are square. I think it's a swear too. But whether or not it's a swear depends entirely on the context it's used, which is not true of say the s word or the f word. Sunday school teachers talking about Hell are not actually swearing at little kids.

Batboy84

I'm not arguing that the word is never a curse or that people who don't use it are square. I think it's a swear too. But whether or not it's a swear depends entirely on the context it's used, which is not true of say the s word or the f word. Sunday school teachers talking about Hell are not actually swearing at little kids.
Oh believe me I get that. I'm just built in a way where I'm only really comfortable when using it to refer to the actual place (and even then, I'd never tell someone to go there for example).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Oh believe me I get that. I'm just built in a way where I'm only really comfortable when using it to refer to the actual place (and even then, I'd never tell someone to go there for example).
I think "Go to hell" is definitely a curse. You are literally cursing somebody to go there. But what I like about what Young Justice did here is that they used a word that adults don't like to hear kids use, and used it in the proper manner so it's consistent with the inoffensive language that has come before. I actually thought it was quite brilliant, and a way to "Be adult" without actually being offensive.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Whelp I just watched the three episodes and here are my thoughts

Good
For the short amount of time we had with Guy he left with a good impression and him having his bubble stick its tongue out was a nice touch
Like the little callbacks to previous seasons with "Whelmed" and "Crash" coming back also I actually laughed at the "Sugar,Spice and Everything Nice" comment
I also like the personal relationships between the characters I know I complained about the overuse of named characters but the scenes like Artemis and her mother talking is when the show is at its top form.
Speaking of complaining how is it that a 15 minute appearance of Suicide Squad is better than the high budget liveaction movie.

Bad-
The CGI spaceships looked AWFUL, I know the budget is nowhere near as it was in the previous seasons but my god was hideous looking.
Gar you were on an espionage team for at least a year you would think that the last instinct you have is to tell the woman who got you in a legal contract off.
The wind girl, I'm not going to call her by her name because I just don't care anymore she's just another "Oooo I know her from comics" type of character.

Marvelman02

Whelp I just watched the three episodes and here are my thoughts

Bad-

The wind girl, I'm not going to call her by her name because I just don't care anymore she's just another "Oooo I know her from comics" type of character.

Actually, I always liked Windfall in the comics. She was a sweetie-pie and deserved a better fate than the one John Ostrander gave her in Suicide Squad.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Ed is annoying. Plus his voice sounds middle-aged instead of the teenager he is supposed to be.

Speaking of wrong sounding voices, the baby being voiced by an adult woman made me cringe. That is something to used to be a problem 20 years ago, but modern projects have mostly been actually using little kids. A voice actress playing a baby sounds incredibly fake and always has.

I’m really disappointed in the voice acting on this show. It’s gotten shrill and stilted, and they have too many of the same actors voicing different characters.

The voice stuff was getting to me in these return episodes. Ed definitely sounded off. Lian's adorable scenes were not so adorable when it sounded like an adult VA doing a baby voice. It very much reminded me of when little Amistad spoke earlier in the season and kind of shocked me out of the moment. Lex and G Gordon's voices were both pretty obnoxious and having to hear them converse was driving me nuts.

I've never really had anything bad to say about the voicework before. Other than thinking some of the accented voices would sound a bit goofy for this somewhat serious show, I'd always thought that the VA casting and voicework was great.

It's a personal peeve but the Will/Artemis thing really weirds me out. I'd probably be open to seeing her attempt to move on with someone else but not her brother in law. It's so messy. Thinking back to Season 1, when they were both teenagers, the pairing might not have felt so bad but at this point, he's been married to her sister, had a child with her, and looks and feels so much older while she still feels like a college girl. It just feels like a daytime talk show episode in the making. I'm kind of surprised that the mom would push for the pairing.

I used to hope that a brighter, friendlier team could have been a thing in a potential Season 3 so it was kind of amusing to see Beast Boy setting the wheels in motion. I still hope that the show has something more to offer with Terra than just making her Slade's twisted and conditioned spy like we always see.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
What was up with the sounds of peeing and flushing in the end credits?
Yeah, like...what was even the point of that? And why was it so loud? Do Conner and M'Gann have an outhouse or something :confused:?
Guy Gardner is pretty great though. Animation has done right by him since Green Lantern: The Animated Series. He’s stopped being merely the annoying Lantern. He’s also now the funny one.
Don't forget about Guy in Brave and the Bold :cool:.
I really liked his voice but he does sound a little older then a teenager :sweat:.
Glad I'm not the only one who was taken out of it with Lian's voice. Definitely not a very convincing baby voice, which got in the way of the utter adorableness that was Lian :(.
I think this is the first time Rocket Red has been seen in animation since JLU. Unlike JLU, he actually got an origin story here. I like the JLU version’s design better though. This one looks too much like Iron Man.
He was in Brave and the Bold for that JLI/JSA episode :).

I think if anything they look, fittingly, more like Crimson Dynamo then Iron Man.
For the record, The Team is just about the worst and most generic name any organization could bestow a covert ops mission. I don’t care whatever excuse Weisman uses for it on Ask Greg, it’s an incredibly dumb, implausible idea.
It's so generic that it's unintentionally covert? Maybe :p?
I’m really disappointed in the voice acting on this show. It’s gotten shrill and stilted, and they have too many of the same actors voicing different characters. The show does not actually suck, and is the best written Weisman thing in a good long while. But the performances make everything seem all that less convincing. I have heard people note that the animation quality has dipped on DC Universe, but that hasn’t been enough for me to either notice, or enjoy the show less. It’s just the performances have been phoned in this year. Completely.
I think it's definitely become more and more clear how much this show stretches it's limited voice cast per episode, for better or worse :(.
I actually laughed at the "Sugar,Spice and Everything Nice" comment
In retrospect that made it much clearer that was Devastation given it felt more like something a female character would say and considering Devastation's origin.
I used to hope that a brighter, friendlier team could have been a thing in a potential Season 3 so it was kind of amusing to see Beast Boy setting the wheels in motion. I still hope that the show has something more to offer with Terra than just making her Slade's twisted and conditioned spy like we always see.
I'm honestly surprised she hasn't had any lines or actual characterization since the reveal. You'd think they'd have focused more on her interaction with Brion and set up what's going on with her :shrug:.

Last edited:

Lonewolf36

The addition of Olga to the Rocket Red Brigade was an interesting update of the team. I believe in the comics, women weren't allowed to participate in the program. Can't say I can place her in the comics, might be a new character made for the show.
The only female Rocket Red i recall in comics was called Ivana from Superman #689 who went out on a date with Mon-El.

Nygma

Fone Bone, where was it established the public knew JL had a covert ops team? Yes, Godfrey mentioned it in season 2, but he's a pundit who couldn't prove his words on that end. A U.S. government agent like Waller trusting the words of a pundit as fact without proof would be ridiculous.

Batboy84

Fone Bone, where was it established the public knew JL had a covert ops team? Yes, Godfrey mentioned it in season 2, but he's a pundit who couldn't prove his words on that end. A U.S. government agent like Waller trusting the words of a pundit as fact without proof would be ridiculous.
I said it, and since they skipped ahead a week in time between Cornered when the Watchtower was outed and True Colors when he said he proved the existence of the Team a week prior, I just assumed there was something shown during that week that we didn't see, such as the Reach outing its existence in a similar way to the Watchtower. Either way, that line is frustrating.

Last edited:

Nygma

Batboy, Fone Bone mentioned it here.

Amanda Waller is JUST learning about The Team? She is really bad at her job. You might think the same about the League, but it’s clear Task Force X was recently established. The Team has been a thing for years.

The team has been a thing, but it hasn't been proven to the public.
No Godfrey's line in True Colors is not categorical proof that someone like Amanda Waller should be treating as credible enough.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
My point is that if Waller is in the secrets and lies business she should know about the covert ops team, whether it's public or not. It's her freaking job to know things.

Frontier

Staff member
To be honest, you'd think by now there would probably be rumbling of a secret Superhero team of teen heroes given the amount of time Supervillains have dealt with them by this point.

I would have to imagine it's something that makes the rounds for the amount of times the Team has been active, if not in public but against multiple villains.

Nygma

My point is that if Waller is in the secrets and lies business she should know about the covert ops team, whether it's public or not. It's her freaking job to know things.

So you're expecting characters to be all knowing and infallible about these things?

What information was there to suggest Godfrey's words weren't hot air?

Also her job is to use the suicide squad in the ways her superiors demand it. Her job is not to find out if any superstitions have validity, unless they get in the way.
Also how do you know how much Waller was up to between seasons 1-3 to know for sure that she should've known about JL's covert ops team?

Marvelman02

I need a little more convincing that the Will/Artemis attraction (Wartemis?) is anything more than two hot young people living together. What is it exactly about each other that they like? I could write an essay about why Wally and Artemis were attracted to each other in season one. In Outsiders, all we are given is that scene where Lian and Will are being gross at the table and Artemis stops to give us a "that is so cute" look. Is that the basis of the relationship? Are we really supposed to believe that these two people are in love? Or, is this ship just intended to mislead the viewers before Wally's return?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts