Marvel Animation at the San Diego Comic-Con 2019

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
We're roughly a month away from this year's big San Diego Comic-Con, so I figured I might as well start this thread now. No details have surfaced yet, in regards to what Marvel might be highlighting or announcing this summer.

I presume a description for the Marvel Animation panel(s) will be released within the next couple of weeks, and this post will be updated with any necessary info, but until then, feel free to use this thread to discuss, add your hopes or predictions about what might be announced.

EDIT 7/1:

Here's a list of Marvel Animation related panels featured this year at SDCC. Work still in progress, will be updated on a regular basis as more info is available.

Friday, July 19th

MARVEL ANIMATION CELEBRATES MARVEL'S 80TH ANNIVERSARY

When
: Between 3:30 – 4:30 PM
Where: Room 6A
Who: Cort Lane, Kalia Ramirez, writers Mark Hoffmeier and Marty Isenberg, voice actors Josh Keaton and Jennifer Hale
What: Behind the scenes look at the making of classic cartoons, rundown of Spider-Man's animated series, a 10th Anniversary retrospective of Marvel's Animation Division, tribute to Stan Lee's cameos in animation

Source: Marvel.com, Comic-Con Friday Schedule

Saturday, July 20th

NEW LEGO CONTENT RELEASES

When
: Between 11:15AM - 12:15PM
Where: Room 6A
Who: Jason Cosler, Robert May
What: New LEGO animated content and Q&A session

Source: Comic-Con Saturday Schedule

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I think the main draws will be for Marvel's Spiderman and anything related to Marvel Rising.

Frontier

Staff member
I think the main draws will be for Marvel's Spiderman and anything related to Marvel Rising.
Well, those are basically the only things they have left to talk about since Avengers and Guardians both seem over :sweat:.

I guess this would probably be the time for them to finally start announcing new shows or talk about stuff that we know about (What If, Moon Girl, Hulu, etc.) but I'm not sure if they'll cover any of that :(.

I wonder if it's too early for them to talk about Maximum Venom or if they'll strictly talk about the rest of season 2 for Marvel's Spider-Man :confused:?

Could be they'll wait until D23, but it would be nice if they announced something. Although considering for a while now we've been engendered not to expect much from Marvel Animation panels, I hope if there is something the panels have people to cover it :ack:.

Roxas_Sora

I wish they will make an announcement about the new episodes of "Marvel's Spider-Man" and not waiting until NYCC like other years. (They own us this for making us waiting more than a year in hiatus, don't you think?).

The idea of Fox/Disney continuing the 90s X-Men's animated series would be interesting, as there were quite a lot of cliffhangers to solve; but after so many years, I don't know if it could work to bring the series back. I would have the same feeling about bringing back 90s Spider-Man's animated series, because as much as I would love the series back and solve the cliffhanger of Mary Jane's rescue, I don't know if the extention of the series could work nowadays after so many years.

I would LOVE to see these series again, but I'm afraid they start something that once started, they decide to cancel it abruptally.

Frontier

Staff member
I wish they will make an announcement about the new episodes of "Marvel's Spider-Man" and not waiting until NYCC like other years. (They own us this for making us waiting more than a year in hiatus, don't you think?).
I mean, it's all they really have to talk about other then Marvel Rising, so pretty safe to assume it'll get a mention ;).
The idea of Fox/Disney continuing the 90s X-Men's animated series would be interesting, as there were quite a lot of cliffhangers to solve; but after so many years, I don't know if it could work to bring the series back. I would have the same feeling about bringing back 90s Spider-Man's animated series, because as much as I would love the series back and solve the cliffhanger of Mary Jane's rescue, I don't know if the extention of the series could work nowadays after so many years.

I would LOVE to see these series again, but I'm afraid they start something that once started, they decide to cancel it abruptally.
I don't think DisMarvel is in the market for any kind of revivals, to be honest. They're not really like Warner/DC in that regard.

Roxas_Sora

I mean, it's all they really have to talk about other then Marvel Rising, so pretty safe to assume it'll get a mention ;).

I hope so, pal.

I don't think DisMarvel is in the market for any kind of revivals, to be honest. They're not really like Warner/DC in that regard.

Usually, no; but you know how they tend to copy each other continuosly.

bigdaddy313

This is what I want to hear from Marvel animations,

1, Marvel animation studio is eighter co producing with other animation studios or they have now become independent capitalised by Disney animation Television to produce moderate to big budget shows.

2, Marvel is producing original animation content, not cash grabbing from the movies while taking impsiration from the comics, but creating their own take and designs just like how the movies and the video games are doing the same.

3, The new shows are exclusive to Disney+ which highly likely means great budget and that they are family friendly but close to a mature in terms of tone like Spectacular Spider-Man and DC animated shows like Justice League animated series.

I have not being happy with Marvel animation for the past 7 years and now with streaming service making animations more lucrative than ever with companies like Netflix spending billions on original content, it's time for Marvel TV to step up their game.

Yes we got shows that were fine sometimes and I am grateful but nothing to wright home about and excited for, but if we get this three things, then I will be very happy and I don't think I am the only one.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I'm just wondering, with Marvel's Spider-Man entering it's third season, when we'll enter a proper "transitional" period for Marvel Animation.

Roxas_Sora

I hope they give us lot of stuff, and juicy stuff, for Marvel Animation's panel. After more than a year without a trace, it's the least they can do.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Looks like there will only be an animation retrospective panel this year.
FRIDAY, JULY 19th
Marvel Animation Celebrates Marvel’s 80th Anniversary
3:30 – 4:30 PM, Room 6A
Join Cort Lane (SVP, Animation and Family Entertainment), Kalia Ramirez (Director, Family Entertainment – Development & Partnerships), writers Mark Hoffmeier (Spider-Man: The Animated Series) and Marty Isenberg (X-Men: The Animated Series), and fan-favorite voice actors Josh Keaton (Spectacular Spider-Man, Marvel’s Avengers Assemble) and Jennifer Hale (Wolverine & the X-Men, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy) as they take a journey through highlights of over five decades of Marvel cartoons. Including behind-the-scenes dish on the making of classic shows, a run-down of all ten of Spider-Man’s series, and a 10th anniversary retrospective of Marvel’s Animation division, this is a panel you don’t want to miss! Plus a special in-memoriam look at Stan Lee’s greatest animation moments.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I guess they're saving everything for the D23 Expo in August...

This panel is a nice idea but I was expecting them to at least premiere the next Marvel Rising special at SDCC.

Frontier

Staff member
I guess they're saving everything for the D23 Expo in August...

This panel is a nice idea but I was expecting them to at least premiere the next Marvel Rising special at SDCC.
Or at least have a Marvel Rising thread to talk about the next set of specials, maybe with some premier dates :confused:.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Maybe since 3 specials were teased during the Wonder Con trailer, all 3 will be released on the same day much later in the year, like fall.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I really don't see the point for all the Marvel Rising to be released on the same day, especially if they intend on having them debut on YouTube first. But I guess we'll see.

I think "Chasing Ghosts" and "Heart of Iron" were also announced at the same time, but premiered a couple of months apart.

Frontier

Staff member
I really don't see the point for all the Marvel Rising to be released on the same day, especially if they intend on having them debut on YouTube first. But I guess we'll see.

I think "Chasing Ghosts" and "Heart of Iron" were also announced at the same time, but premiered a couple of months apart.
Yeah, they seem to space out the specials pretty far along so I'd be surprised if they released them all at once or close together.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
This retrospective is pretty surprising. Marvel has never seemed too nostalgic when it came to animation before. I didn't realize it was 80th anniversary time. It seems like it was just the 75th. Hale and Keaton were nice choices for the panel, especially with past and current roles under their belts. Nice that X-Men and Spider-Man are getting some love.

It's really disappointing that there's no panel for new and current projects. I need to stop expecting much from them at SDCC. The really cool panels from about 10 years ago spoiled me.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Maybe they're taking a page from Marvel Studios and saving the best for the Disney convention...although ironically Marvel Studios will be at SDCC :p.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts