"Marvel's Avengers Assemble" News & Discussion Thread, Part 10 (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
I just realized something did War Machine ever appear or even get mentioned on this show?
The War Machine armor cameoed in the 1st episode, when JARVIS offered it to Sam before he went with the Falcon suit, but that's it.

I think Wacker said he'd show up in Avengers: Secret Wars but that never happened.

It's the oddest thing since he was probably the only major movie Avenger they never used on this show, and he didn't have rights issues like Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver did.

RoryWilliams

There are a couple of omissions like that which are really odd. I'm still floored that Pepper Potts never made an appearance at any point in 5 seasons worth of episodes. Maria Hill never had a speaking role either, did she?

Roxas_Sora

The marketing firm that writes the marvel shows probably thinks that love interests would lower toy sales.
That's absurd. Even if the shows are directed to kids, all kids end up experiencing the effect of hormones, so if they start to feel puberty's effects, there's no reason to avoid such topic to appear in the series. Especially if the main characters are teenagers (like Ultimate Spider-Man).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
The marketing firm that writes the marvel shows probably thinks that love interests would lower toy sales.
The whole "boys think girls and romance are icky" thing had bugged me since Ultimate Spider-Man, especially after considering how essential relationships were in Marvel comics and cartoons prior to USM.

With Assemble, the lack of relationships (platonic, friendly or romantic) or any type of life for the characters outside of their Avengers roles was a problem. It lacked a very essential part of "Marvel DNA" when it cut out aspects that help make the characters feel life-like to the fans. Black Widow, Falcon, Hulk, Captain Marvel, Hawkeye, Iron Man, etc, might as well have been generic action figures with one or two personality traits.

I'm not even trying to be down on the series right now, as though I don't think they ever got anything right, but I think kids of all ages can tell when the program they're watching comes across as a bit hollow. Would it have hurt for Scott to mention Cassie (probably the most important person that's part of his hero journey) even once, regardless of whether it made him seem like an old dad to kids? Is there anything more to Hawkeye, Hulk or Captain Marvel than being bull-headed? It's funny that the goal was to make these characters as recognizable as possible to kids that are hooked in due to the movies without letting the characters be recognizable in any way that isn't the character model.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Then I guess one would wonder if this sets up the precedent for future Avengers shows since this is not only the longest running Avengers cartoon, it's also the longest running Marvel cartoon. It would make executives think, "This is what people want out of their Marvel cartoons."

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I feel like this series will not be looked back to fondly in the future especially since with five seasons on its belt it's now the Marvel equivalent of the Justice League cartoon. However, there is a complete lack of understanding of how to make interesting storylines and characters it's not just that they're bad at following comic book storylines they've just been bad storytellers, to begin with.

Frontier

Staff member
The whole "boys think girls and romance are icky" thing had bugged me since Ultimate Spider-Man, especially after considering how essential relationships were in Marvel comics and cartoons prior to USM.

With Assemble, the lack of relationships (platonic, friendly or romantic) or any type of life for the characters outside of their Avengers roles was a problem. It lacked a very essential part of "Marvel DNA" when it cut out aspects that help make the characters feel life-like to the fans. Black Widow, Falcon, Hulk, Captain Marvel, Hawkeye, Iron Man, etc, might as well have been generic action figures with one or two personality traits.

I'm not even trying to be down on the series right now, as though I don't think they ever got anything right, but I think kids of all ages can tell when the program they're watching comes across as a bit hollow. Would it have hurt for Scott to mention Cassie (probably the most important person that's part of his hero journey) even once, regardless of whether it made him seem like an old dad to kids? Is there anything more to Hawkeye, Hulk or Captain Marvel than being bull-headed? It's funny that the goal was to make these characters as recognizable as possible to kids that are hooked in due to the movies without letting the characters be recognizable in any way that isn't the character model.

That "action figure" comment I feel is especially true for Wasp, who besides that episode where she teamed-up with Carol never really felt like a real defined character beyond her status as "movie Wasp."

I still don't know whether it's funny or kind of ridiculous that Ant-Man and Wasp were introduced as these close partners but only seemed to talk to one another 3-4 times across an entire 26-episode season :sweat:.

Dudley

Staff member
Marvel HQ is running a livestream of the first three seasons of the show.
I feel that season 3 is a turn for the better, but the show still fails in comparison to EMH. Regardless of its many faults, I’m still enjoying this.

Also, it seems they really didn’t bother explaining how Klaw came back after being destroyed when he merged with vibranium. Black Panther was even curious about it.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I don't think the show ever hit the highs of EMH, and there are only 2-3 characters who I'd say their portrayal was on par with their EMH incarnations (Black Panther, Zemo, and Captain America to some degree), but I think Assemble was ultimately a pretty solid and enjoyable Avengers cartoon as it went along (especially near the end of season 2 and onwards) even if it might never be the "best" Avengers show :).

(Although seriously, why haven't they released EMH on Marvel HQ yet? They release Super Hero Squad, but not EMH :confused:?).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
(Although seriously, why haven't they released EMH on Marvel HQ yet? They release Super Hero Squad, but not EMH :confused:?).

No need to upload EMH when there is so much Assemble. Marvel HQ may move mysteriously but they'll probably touch every series eventually. The uploads don't stay up permanently either. I think some of the earlier seasons they uploaded before have come down. The Fantastic Four and Panther's Quest episodes they uploaded in February were taken down pretty quickly after.

Right now, Ultimate Spider-Man is the older series they're sharing.

Frontier

Staff member
No need to upload EMH when there is so much Assemble. Marvel HQ may move mysteriously but they'll probably touch every series eventually. The uploads don't stay up permanently either. I think some of the earlier seasons they uploaded before have come down. The Fantastic Four and Panther's Quest episodes they uploaded in February were taken down pretty quickly after.

Right now, Ultimate Spider-Man is the older series they're sharing.

Reminds me of DC Universe :p.

Maybe they want to be selective in what they have on there in case it goes to Disney+ :confused:?

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I think they would do this with or without Disney+ being a factor. All of these particular shows remain available for purchase in other places, including YouTube itself, though that would be pretty expensive overall. It would be nice if they're all eventually available on Disney+ though we know only USM and GOTG will be initially. There hasn't been a permanent streaming home since Netflix first lost the Marvel cartoons.

GM_Comand

I’ve been thinking about the fourth season of Avengers Assemble, and maybe it would have been better if they saved rescuing Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow and Hawkeye for the end of the season. That way more development could be given to the new Avengers, an example of what I mean the episode where Hope teamed up with Carol, it felt like they were building some kind of dynamic (friendship maybe, also Vision never did get a chance to play ping pong, did he? ) between the two but then it was just dropped.

Jane Foster could have gotten her powers earlier too and joined the team or at least teamed up with them a couple of times. It just seemed that once the original Avengers were back it there were too many characters and the New Avengers kind of got shoved to the side a little.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.

Featured Posts