Now that Disney is absorbing Fox Studios, when will they make another X-Men cartoon and what should it be about?

Frontier

Staff member
I have never been as frustrated week after week watching Ultimate Spider-Man as I have the new show. The new show is dreary and boring. Even when Ultimate Spider-Man was busy sucking up the joint it held my attention.
I guess we both had vastly different experiences watching the two shows. I had the complete opposite reaction, especially with early USM :p.

Hopefully whatever new X-Men cartoon we get is a step up from both shows (and Assemble).

RoryWilliams

Go all meta and have the plot be about the X-Men returning after several years of having been exiled to another dimension by a rat-eared overlord.

The Overlord

Here is an interesting rumor:

I am not sure how a continuation of the 90s era X-Men would work, would they use the same animation style, the same group of voice actors from Toronto (I do not think Lenore Zann does much voice acting nowadays, she seems to be successfully Canadian politician), pick up where the animated series left off? This seems an odd choice, but hey we have had some Timm style cartoons lately, so 90s nostalgia is a thing now.

Hulkwummy

I hope they add more members in the main cast, like Colossus, Iceman, Psylocke, Angel, and more.

Frontier

Staff member
Here is an interesting rumor:

I am not sure how a continuation of the 90s era X-Men would work, would they use the same animation style, the same group of voice actors from Toronto (I do not think Lenore Zann does much voice acting nowadays, she seems to be successfully Canadian politician), pick up where the animated series left off? This seems an odd choice, but hey we have had some Timm style cartoons lately, so 90s nostalgia is a thing now.
I mean, I wish them the best of luck even if I don't think it has much of a chance of happening.

If they barely seem interested in acknowledging or representing Earth's Mightiest Heroes, I don't think they're going to be much more interested in reviving an X-Men show from back in the 90's.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
When Earth's Mightiest Heroes was on, I kind of pictured that a possible crossover might not even be with the WATX team, but with the 90s team. It was for no other reason than seeing the two shows back to back on Saturday nights, when Disney XD had that late night Marvel block, and realizing how much the two shows evoked the same emotions out of me. They both did such a good job at introducing the teams, and what they were about, to young viewers while also adapting classic stories for modern television in a very entertaining way. I just love both series immensely.

I don't think my nostalgia for the 90s show will ever go away, and I do hope that Marvel Entertainment is actually open to referencing it or honoring it now. I just don't think we've seen any behavior from them that would suggest that they'd ever be open to restarting that old series. I do think that it would be pretty damned cool if they greenlit a movie, with a nice little budget, that brought back old crew members to tell a story that could stand on its own while also hitting those nostalgia feels. I would be so open to that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's funny, but out of the past X-Men animated series, I think TAS had the most proper conclusion, so I don't really see why they would continue things from where it left off. Of course, I would still watch a revival or continuation if it's produced, but I doubt much if anything will come out of this. Would be interesting if they kept the same aesthetic from the show, probably more people would complain about the quality of Marvel animation. Could be nice if they kept the re-designs from the last few episodes of the show. But, I think I'm getting a bit carried away, since as I said I don't think this will lead to anything.

(If nothing else, we might have more to talk about in the Rejected Show Pitches thread, providing more details about this leak online. :p)

Freddy

X-Men TAS is easily the best X-Men cartoon to date and one of the best Marvel cartoons period (and I'm saying this as someone who didn't grow-up with it), and it had couple of unresolved plot-threads (the resurrection of Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister and Magneto's army, just to name a few), but I'm not sure that it's screaming for a revival.

dmxx116

I’m all in for a reveal for X-Men:The Animated Series as a Series of movies or a new season.

Last edited:

JaredCap43™

I'm the Mighty Pocoyo, no CEO can defeat me!

Marvel has made an X-Men calendar for 2020 with artwork resembling the designs from the 90's cartoon.

This probably means at least one of the following.
  1. Marvel is making a revival or reboot of the 90's cartoon.
  2. Marvel made the calendar for nostalgia purposes or took advantage of Disney's purchase of Fox.
  3. Marvel is ashamed of Wolverine and the X-Men and wants to pull an infinity gauntlet on it.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
You're joking, right? Wolverine and the X-Men is literally the best Marvel animated series. Why would Marvel be ashamed of it?

Frontier

Staff member
You're joking, right? Wolverine and the X-Men is literally the best Marvel animated series. Why would Marvel be ashamed of it?
Yeah, I don't think they're ashamed of WatXM anymore then they're ashamed of EMH. They're just older shows that aren't really relevant to what they're doing now.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
" data-source="post: 87236091" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">

Marvel has made an X-Men calendar for 2020 with artwork resembling the designs from the 90's cartoon.

This probably means at least one of the following.
  1. Marvel is making a revival or reboot of the 90's cartoon.
  2. Marvel made the calendar for nostalgia purposes or took advantage of Disney's purchase of Fox.
  3. Marvel is ashamed of Wolverine and the X-Men and wants to pull an infinity gauntlet on it.
I think they've definitely been trying to use the nostalgia of past X-Men glory to their advantage as they're starting this rebuilding stage.

Usually the Marvel merch I notice in stores is retro or MCU based, so they'll fall back on retro for now to at least get the attention of past fans.

Frontier

Staff member
I think they've definitely been trying to use the nostalgia of past X-Men glory to their advantage as they're starting this rebuilding stage.

Usually the Marvel merch I notice in stores is retro or MCU based, so they'll fall back on retro for now to at least get the attention of past fans.

Makes you kind of wondre what era or design style they'd base a modern X-Men cartoon off of...I guess the same could probably be said for the FF :ack:.

JaredCap43™

I'm the Mighty Pocoyo, no CEO can defeat me!
Well, the original X-Men cartoon has the advantage of being the first of the three cartoons, has spawned memes such as the one where Wolverine punches Cyclops, and the scene where Storm shouts “I SHALL MEET YOU AT THE MONORAIL!!!”, and even a few YouTube Poops while Wolverine and the X-Men is considered to be forgettable and boring due to it's slow pacing and boring nature, and I couldn’t see a single YouTube Poop of it, though from what I’ve heard, the second season would’ve been better.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts