Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous News and Discussion Thread

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!

After more than 20 years of failed animated concepts based on the ultra big property, an animated series is finally in production via DreamWorks Animation Television.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
So today we got two announcements about an upcoming camp-themed children's show based on existing properties. That's a first in cartoon history, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, hope this series is a lot of fun.

Frontier

Staff member
Fulfilling the need for popular 90's franchises to have cartoon spinoffs :p.

It'll be interesting to see how the franchise adapts to cartoon form. Also looks like an equal gender ratio if that's a girl between the two guys on the left.

The Overlord

Can’t be any worse than the movies they’re putting out.

True. I feel like that this franchise gets massive plot holes in it past the first film (why did they make another theme park in the 2015 movie and that evil auction in the last film makes no sense). Kids may not notice any plot holes if you have enough wonderment in this cartoon or maybe Dream Works can tell a more solid story then what the films have been doing.

Darkdawn

I Am Here
True. I feel like that this franchise gets massive plot holes in it past the first film (why did they make another theme park in the 2015 movie and that evil auction in the last film makes no sense). Kids may not notice any plot holes if you have enough wonderment in this cartoon or maybe Dream Works can tell a more solid story then what the films have been doing.

I accept that the Jurassic World movies have been really stupid and flawed overall (still have fun with them, though)... but unfortunately, I don't think it's too detached from reality for corporate hubris to knowingly and repeatedly devalue human lives in pursuit of maximum profit. I feel that's been a key theme of the whole franchise and especially in Trevorrow's films... it's just that he's not skilled enough as a writer to coherently execute such themes.

Anyhoo, as a lifelong Jurassic fan, I'm rooting for this show. It would be nice if it became the most acclaimed thing in the franchise's history since the 1993 film.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!

A sneak peek trailer on how the show looks like. Surprised that we've gotten a peak of the animation for this and not the Fast and Furious show yet.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Interesting since DreamWorks was tapped to produced an Lost World adaption some odd years ago (with Spielberg's involvement), which would have involved -get this- hybrids:

19MagiswordLane

It's coming out in August. Here's first look at characters, plot details and toyline:

19MagiswordLane

First look:
EYlMP2cWAAYo8cS.jpg

SweetShop209

The show comes out September 18. We also have the voice cast:

"The eight-episode CG animated series features a dynamic cast of campers, including Paul-Mikél Williams (Westworld) as resident dinosaur expert Darius; Jenna Ortega (You) as social media sensation Brooklynn; Ryan Potter (Big Hero 6: The Series) as self-appointed VIP Kenji; Raini Rodriguez (Bunk’d) as gregarious and enthusiastic Sammy; Sean Giambrone (The Goldbergs) as sensitive and bookish Ben; and Kausar Mohammed (Silicon Valley) as world-class athlete Yaz. Jameela Jamil (Legendary) and Glen Powell (Top Gun: Maverick) recur as camp counselors Roxie and Dave."

"The series is executive produced by Scott Kreamer (Cleopatra in Space) and Aaron Hammersley (Star vs. the Forces of Evil) who serve as showrunners. Steven Spielberg, Colin Trevorrow, Frank Marshall and Lane Lueras (Kung Fu Panda: The Paws of Destiny) serve as executive producers. The series was developed by Zack Stentz, who also serves as consulting producer."

Frontier

Staff member

The show comes out September 18. We also have the voice cast:

"The eight-episode CG animated series features a dynamic cast of campers, including Paul-Mikél Williams (Westworld) as resident dinosaur expert Darius; Jenna Ortega (You) as social media sensation Brooklynn; Ryan Potter (Big Hero 6: The Series) as self-appointed VIP Kenji; Raini Rodriguez (Bunk’d) as gregarious and enthusiastic Sammy; Sean Giambrone (The Goldbergs) as sensitive and bookish Ben; and Kausar Mohammed (Silicon Valley) as world-class athlete Yaz. Jameela Jamil (Legendary) and Glen Powell (Top Gun: Maverick) recur as camp counselors Roxie and Dave."

"The series is executive produced by Scott Kreamer (Cleopatra in Space) and Aaron Hammersley (Star vs. the Forces of Evil) who serve as showrunners. Steven Spielberg, Colin Trevorrow, Frank Marshall and Lane Lueras (Kung Fu Panda: The Paws of Destiny) serve as executive producers. The series was developed by Zack Stentz, who also serves as consulting producer."
Sounds like a pretty diverse cast and and some experienced members of the crew :).

SweetShop209

M. Willis is writing for the series.

Screenshot_20200728-135632.png

Lindsay Kerns is also writing here.

Screenshot_20200728-165311.png

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts