"Star vs. the Forces of Evil" Series Talkback Thread (SPOILERS)

doomrider7

That One Guy
For the longest time I've been getting a "going through the motions" vibe from the show runners ever since Amphibia and Owl House started REALLY taking off in production with damn near EVERYONE seemingly being pulled off this show and put to work on those two. That might be the reason for the mixed quality and rushed feeling.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I do think Giancarlo Volpe leaving the series to work on The Dragon Prince caused the quality to drop off quite a bit. He has extensive work in shows with serialized storytelling, being a director for Avatar The Last Airbender and Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and being one of the 3 showrunners for Green Lantern The Animated Series. The last episodes he directed for the series were for the Battle For Mewni movie , which is often seen as the highlight of the series , before later episodes became increasingly more divisive.

doomrider7

That One Guy
I do think Giancarlo Volpe leaving the series to work on The Dragon Prince caused the quality to drop off quite a bit. He has extensive work in shows with serialized storytelling, being a director for Avatar The Last Airbender and Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and being one of the 3 showrunners for Green Lantern The Animated Series. The last episodes he directed for the series were for the Battle For Mewni movie , which is often seen as the highlight of the series , before later episodes became increasingly more divisive.

Oh Damn. Yeah that's gonna leave a HUGE mark. Pretty much EVERYTHING he's worked on has been STELLAR and GLTS was one of the best animated shows I'd ever seen. It was REALLY good and CN giving it the shaft was one of the biggest Rage Triggers for the fandom. I can see losing someone like him being a changing factor. There were several other people who left. I know Sabrina Cotugno was still there, but I can't remember who else, but there was this feeling of it being s skeleton crew by the end running things.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Star's 7:30 slot also did worse than Milo in the weeks prior. Maybe Sunday mornings in general are just worse than Saturday mornings ratings wise.

ShadowBeast

The best thing Ponyhead did this season is kinda sorta helped boost Eclipsa's popularity amongst Mewmans, and even then she did it in the most annoying way possible.

They're not wrong.
View attachment 238302
How the heck is Ponyhead even able to fly anymore when the destruction of magic should've affected her kind? Maybe they use hot-air to fly? Which would explain a lot. Their ability to fire out of their horns should at least be gone now.

Now we need a bunch of heroes to go back in time and stop Star from succeeding in her evil plans and find a different way to defeat Mina and uncorrupt the magic realm.

Star lost to Milo in ratings.
Not surprising considering how the season was doing.
For the longest time I've been getting a "going through the motions" vibe from the show runners ever since Amphibia and Owl House started REALLY taking off in production with damn near EVERYONE seemingly being pulled off this show and put to work on those two. That might be the reason for the mixed quality and rushed feeling.
So Star Vs. pretty much went through the same problems the Fairly OddParents did with losing writers that made the show great and replacing them with writers who didn't know what they were doing.
There was also the extra focus on certain things, with FOP it was the dumb characters, with Star Vs. it was the romance drama.

Ouch, no wonder the show has been tanking in quality ever since Toffee's defeat.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Many of the writers who joined in season 3 either worked with staff writer Bryan Caselli (I hope I spelled that right) on Sanjay And Craig or worked with story editor John Infantino on Regular Show, hence some of the problems those shows had carrying over to here (though they grew out of most of them , unlike Star) like the more overly wacky comedy and surreal aspects of the former, and the romantic plot tumor and unsympathetic comedy protagonist approach from the latter (though again, both shows kept their flaws under control better than this series).

doomrider7

That One Guy
How the heck is Ponyhead even able to fly anymore when the destruction of magic should've affected her kind? Maybe they use hot-air to fly? Which would explain a lot. Their ability to fire out of their horns should at least be gone now.

Now we need a bunch of heroes to go back in time and stop Star from succeeding in her evil plans and find a different way to defeat Mina and uncorrupt the magic realm.

Not surprising considering how the season was doing.

So Star Vs. pretty much went through the same problems the Fairly OddParents did with losing writers that made the show great and replacing them with writers who didn't know what they were doing.
There was also the extra focus on certain things, with FOP it was the dumb characters, with Star Vs. it was the romance drama.

Ouch, no wonder the show has been tanking in quality ever since Toffee's defeat.

I 100% maintain that they should have done Starco immediately after Toffee was beat and done an episode where both Star and Marco go back and explain things to Jackie and apologize and smooth things out while still being friends(still quite sour they never fleshed her out more, but too late now). You get rid of all of the God Awful shipping drama and can instead focus much more on the Mewman-Monster storyline along with the family history and Eclipsa.

Many of the writers who joined in season 3 either worked with staff writer Bryan Caselli (I hope I spelled that right) on Sanjay And Craig or worked with story editor John Infantino on Regular Show, hence some of the problems those shows had carrying over to here (though they grew out of most of them , unlike Star) like the more overly wacky comedy and surreal aspects of the former, and the romantic plot tumor and unsympathetic comedy protagonist approach from the latter (though again, both shows kept their flaws under control better than this series).

Did not know what and that would explain a lot of things.

ShadowBeast

I 100% maintain that they should have done Starco immediately after Toffee was beat and done an episode where both Star and Marco go back and explain things to Jackie and apologize and smooth things out while still being friends(still quite sour they never fleshed her out more, but too late now). You get rid of all of the God Awful shipping drama and can instead focus much more on the Mewman-Monster storyline along with the family history and Eclipsa.
I maintain that Starco shouldn't have happened at all. It's a predictable plot that has been done to death. Marco shouldn't have moved to Mewni so that we get earth episodes along with Mewni episodes, and Jackie(along with other earth characters) should've came along for the ride into Mewni as well. oh and have some Mewni characters come to Earth as well.
The whole Mewman-Monster thing should've been done differently as well. It just gave off a negative-vibe for me as the show was losing the goofy weirdness it once had in the first two seasons(like invisible goats). I would love to see both Eclipsa and Rhombulus in a corner during a MHC meeting for comedic reasons.

doomrider7

That One Guy
I maintain that Starco shouldn't have happened at all. It's a predictable plot that has been done to death. Marco shouldn't have moved to Mewni so that we get earth episodes along with Mewni episodes, and Jackie(along with other earth characters) should've came along for the ride into Mewni as well. oh and have some Mewni characters come to Earth as well.
The whole Mewman-Monster thing should've been done differently as well. It just gave off a negative-vibe for me as the show was losing the goofy weirdness it once had in the first two seasons(like invisible goats). I would love to see both Eclipsa and Rhombulus in a corner during a MHC meeting for comedic reasons.

I don't disagree about Starco, but it was NEVER NOT GONNA HAPPEN given that Nefcy based aspects of both characters on herself and her husband. I 100% agree about having characters from both worlds interact would have been cool. In hindsight, making the MHC villainous also messes things up since a lot of their earlier were very well liked and I can't recall who, but someone from the series made comment that Rhombulus and Lehkmet were a couple(not sure if canon or not) to explain why they always hung out together and I'd also like your take on the Monster-Mewman thing since I also have some thoughts on it that I need to organize first.

ShadowBeast

I don't disagree about Starco, but it was NEVER NOT GONNA HAPPEN given that Nefcy based aspects of both characters on herself and her husband.
I know. Having them based on the creator and her husband makes it even more painfully predictable. Daron still could've not hooked them up for the sake of being unpredictable.
In hindsight, making the MHC villainous also messes things up since a lot of their earlier were very well liked and I can't recall who, but someone from the series made comment that Rhombulus and Lehkmet were a couple(not sure if canon or not) to explain why they always hung out together
Yeah, I hated how Star and Rhombulus went from being friends to being enemies. There's also the fact that Omnitraxus tried to get Festivia to make peace with the monsters, so making him a villain didn't make sense either.
As for Lekmet and Rhombulus being a couple, that would be weird since Gossaryck created them all and that would make them siblings (Reynaldo even called Glossaryck father). Being family would be enough reason for them to live together, as well as Rhombulus being the only one able to understand Lekmet being another.

and I'd also like your take on the Monster-Mewman thing since I also have some thoughts on it that I need to organize first.
It needs to not be one-sided, like it was. The writers made every effort to vilify almost every Mewman and the MHC to look as prejudiced as possible without reason. A lot of the mewmans actually had good reasons to hate Eclipsa as she gave the monsters back their homes without giving the current occupants a new place to live.
A war with Star finding a way to stop it peacefully as a way to get both sides to understand each other could be a good route.
The monster/mewman thing has to be lightened up in comparison to how the last season went as it really made the show depression.

doomrider7

That One Guy
I know. Having them based on the creator and her husband makes it even more painfully predictable. Daron still could've not hooked them up for the sake of being unpredictable.

Yeah, I hated how Star and Rhombulus went from being friends to being enemies. There's also the fact that Omnitraxus tried to get Festivia to make peace with the monsters, so making him a villain didn't make sense either.
As for Lekmet and Rhombulus being a couple, that would be weird since Gossaryck created them all and that would make them siblings (Reynaldo even called Glossaryck father). Being family would be enough reason for them to live together, as well as Rhombulus being the only one able to understand Lekmet being another.

It needs to not be one-sided, like it was. The writers made every effort to vilify almost every Mewman and the MHC to look as prejudiced as possible without reason. A lot of the mewmans actually had good reasons to hate Eclipsa as she gave the monsters back their homes without giving the current occupants a new place to live.
A war with Star finding a way to stop it peacefully as a way to get both sides to understand each other could be a good route.
The monster/mewman thing has to be lightened up in comparison to how the last season went as it really made the show depression.

Thought it was kind of of weird and out there. That was before the first book came out thought. And yeah all the bonding moments are now so...Hollow. Star and Rhombulus bonding over finding Glossaryck a pain to deal with at times, Moon sympathizing with Ludo of all people when they meet and with both Buff Frog and Eclipsa on parenting, and what you mentioned about Omnitraxis and Festivia.

That's basically the same issue I have with Mewman-Monster thing. Like all of the Mewman characters and the MHC aren't just prejudiced, but just so stupidly petty and dumb about it that it's incredibly hard to take seriously and made things feel like Captain Obvious Aesop and Anvilicious Tropes were at play. It was REALLY noticeable to me since I've seen the monster/demon prejudice card be played a LOT in JRPG's and anime and manga much better(Disgaea series, One Piece, Helck, Dungeon Meshi, Reincarnated as a Slime, Konjiki no Wordmaster) since it's never universal(not all humans are prejudiced) and there's usually all kinds of complex layers to it all(war, politics, religion, greed, the usual nice things).

Naturally prejudice plays a big role in all of the aforementioned series as well, but again it's not treated as a universal feeling, but a very complex one which I think is where the series ran into problems with the conflict since it made overlly simplistic by making ALL Mewmans prejudiced and racist and while granted the younger generations were much better, it still felt overdone as there would likely still should have been some of the older generations who shared non-prejudiced views like the Spiderbites who are ok with monsters, but dislike Globgor for personal reasons unrelated to him being a monster.

Last edited:

ShadowBeast

Thought it was kind of of weird and out there. That was before the first book came out thought.
I've heard about Glossaryck being the creator of the MHC long before the book came out. Though I can't remember if it was fans guessing or someone behind the show stating this.
For all we know they lived together as roommates who shared on paying the rent.

That's basically the same issue I have with Mewman-Monster thing. Like all of the Mewman characters and the MHC aren't just prejudiced, but just so stupidly petty and dumb about it that it's incredibly hard to take seriously and made things feel like Captain Obvious Aesop and Anvilicious Tropes were at play. It was REALLY noticeable to me since I've seen the monster/demon prejudice card be played a LOT in JRPG's and anime and manga much better(Disgaea series, One Piece, Helck, Dungeon Meshi, Reincarnated as a Slime, Konjiki no Wordmaster) since it's never universal(not all humans are prejudiced) and there's usually all kinds of complex layers to it all(war, politics, religion, greed, the usual nice things).

Naturally prejudice plays a big role in all of the aforementioned series as well, but again it's not treated as a universal feeling, but a very complex one which I think is where the series ran into problems with the conflict since it made overlly simplistic by making ALL Mewmans prejudiced and racist and while granted the younger generations were much better, it still felt overdone as there would likely still should have been some of the older generations who shared non-prejudiced views like the Spiderbites who are ok with monsters, but dislike Globgor for personal reasons unrelated to him being a monster.
Exactly, the writers ended up sacrificing character development for the sake of making the once good guys into bigoted villains, all for the sake of prejudice issues that also took away a lot of the fun of the show as well. And like you pointed out, others shows have done it better. It would've been better if the Mewmans actually had legitimate reasons to fears monsters(like size-changers who eat Mewmans) and that not all monsters were evil like Buff Frog being an example, and do the same with the monsters. We saw that Toffee hated magic, but we never got to see why he hates it. That should've been touched on. Globgor eating Shastican should've been touched on as well. I also think Star's family should've stayed related to Eclipsa's. We already had a scandal plot with the family when Glossaryck was book-napped and the family keeping it to themselves, we didn't need another one.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
1. Mina was defeated rather easily, she had everything at hand the end of last week, and in 5 minutes she loses.

2. In hind sight, the show should never have done those spell focus episodes if this is the end game.
1. Given how much this show takes from anime, you'd think there'd be some kind of big epic battle between Star and Mina, like maybe something along the lines of Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball Z.

2. Admittedly, she never knew that the spells inside her wand were sentient.

Cartoonfan13

An hour long finale definitely would have been better. There could have been some time to showcase more of the aftermath of the two worlds coming together. I feel like there's more than enough for them to cover a fifth season of the show with this setup in mind, but a TV movie would be much more plausible by comparison at this point.
If the Fandom works together like the Kim Possible Fandom did, it could indeed happen.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
It would've been better if the Mewmans actually had legitimate reasons to fears monsters(like size-changers who eat Mewmans) and that not all monsters were evil like Buff Frog being an example, and do the same with the monsters.
They didn't, but they did have a legitimate reason to detest them i.e. Eclipsa's pathetic attempt at restoration.
Globgor eating Shastican should've been touched on as well.
This. That was a huge revelation and I expected the show to provide more nuances that either justified or debunked it, but welp, it never did.
If the Fandom works together like the Kim Possible Fandom did, it could indeed happen.
I really believe it could. Star is arguably one of Disney's most popular modern cartoons, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Disney revisiting the show in the future. It most likely wouldn't happen anytime soon, but if Phineas and Ferb can get another movie years after its end, then so can Star.

Last edited:

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
I really believe it could. Star is arguably one of Disney's most popular modern cartoons, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Disney revisiting the show in the future. It most likely wouldn't happen anytime soon, but if Phineas and Ferb can get another movie years after its end, then so can Star.
Given that Disney has that darn-old 4-season limit.

Light Lucario

Staff member

It is a possibility. This series does seem pretty popular and I could see a strong following eventually leading to Disney Channel doing something with the property again. I don't know how likely that is and it would probably take a bit of time if the people behind this series are already working on other projects, but it does sound plausible.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It is a possibility. This series does seem pretty popular and I could see a strong following eventually leading to Disney Channel doing something with the property again. I don't know how likely that is and it would probably take a bit of time if the people behind this series are already working on other projects, but it does sound plausible.
Given that any potential revival (whether a season 5 or a tv movie) would cater more to the periphery demographic, I predict the revival would be on Disney+ like the Phineas And Ferb movie, especially since the show won't be seen again after May 31 , albeit not without possibly being shown again.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts