Vic Mignogna Controversies

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Todd Haberkorn's case has been pretty much hidden in the background despite how big he is. I'm surprised why the Youtubers and Tweeters are ignoring it and the last news was when Monica Rial kicked Todd Haberkorn off a panel at Zenkaikon back in late March.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Todd Haberkorn's case has been pretty much hidden in the background despite how big he is. I'm surprised why the Youtubers and Tweeters are ignoring it and the last news was when Monica Rial kicked Todd Haberkorn off a panel at Zenkaikon back in late March.

Vic is a much bigger name, or at least has a bigger following than Todd Haberkorn, so I'm sadly not surprised that there hasn't been much focus on that issue. As awful as he was for revealing himself as a rapist and claiming it was consensual drunk sex, I'm not sure what else could be done about that situation. The victim in question may not want to reveal more about the story after all of the death threats and harassment she got and his behavior might not be as problematic as Vic's was to warrant an internal investigation from Funimation. Not to mention there might be a statue of limitation issue here if this was brought to a court. He still comes off as a terrible person to me, but there might not be a lot that can be done with that situation compared to Vic, especially when his allegations span over the past decade.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Vic is a much bigger name, or at least has a bigger following than Todd Haberkorn, so I'm sadly not surprised that there hasn't been much focus on that issue.

He's the main character in Fairy Tail, Death the Kid from Soul Eater, and Jaco from Dragonball Super, so he's hardly a small name. I can't think of any voice actor with a cult of personality like Vic. Travis Willingham has his fanclub, the miniskirt brigade, but he's kind of left the limelight when FMA ended. There are tons of voice actors who seem more omnipresent than Vic, like Johnny Yong Bosch and Bryce Papenbrook, and the fact that they haven't had allegations seems to poke hole in the idea that this is all about jealousy of Vic's success. If that's really what's happening, why aren't women persecuting them? Bosch is even a pretty religious guy, so if this is an anti-Christian purge, why isn't he purged? Surprisingly, Watchmojo still employs him to do "the top ten anime whatever" lists and they've gotten significant backlash from it.

Reactions: RDG

Light Lucario

Staff member
He's the main character in Fairy Tail, Death the Kid from Soul Eater, and Jaco from Dragonball Super, so he's hardly a small name. I can't think of any voice actor with a cult of personality like Vic. Travis Willingham has his fanclub, the miniskirt brigade, but he's kind of left the limelight when FMA ended. There are tons of voice actors who seem more omnipresent than Vic, like Johnny Yong Bosch and Bryce Papenbrook, and the fact that they haven't had allegations seems to poke hole in the idea that this is all about jealousy of Vic's success. If that's really what's happening, why aren't women persecuting them? Bosch is even a pretty religious guy, so if this is an anti-Christian purge, why isn't he purged? Surprisingly, Watchmojo still employs him to do "the top ten anime whatever" lists and they've gotten significant backlash from it.

I know that Todd Haberkorn isn't a small name. I just don't think his following is quite as huge as Vic's, which is one reason why the accusation against him hasn't gotten as much attention by comparison. There are plenty of popular well known anime voice actors aside from Vic, but because Vic has such a strong following, I think that does make the backlash more intense than if this was about someone like Johnny Yong Bosch or Bryce Papenbrook. The idea that women would accuse Vic because they're jealous of his success is quite ridiculous, especially when the voice actresses who spoke out against them are pretty successful in their own right. That's just another bunch of conspiracy theory nonsense.

There are a lot of other religious voice actors who work for Funimation, so the notion that this is an anti-Christian purge is also pretty ridiculous. Vic is possibly more open about his religion compared to other voice actors, which isn't really a problem onto itself, but it can feed into the image of Vic as the poor Christian white man being targeted by women that some of his supporters really love. I'm not too surprised that Watchmojo still employs Todd Haberkorn for their top ten anime videos, but I'm kind of glad that they've gotten significant backlash for doing so.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Moved this thread to the General Animation (Toonzone) forum, because it doesn't fit as well on the Voice Actor Appreciation Society forum.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Is anyone keeping up with the absolutely glorious thrashing Vic's supporters are getting on Twitter?

I haven't kept up with the situation on Twitter for awhile. There didn't seem to be much news after the lawsuit came out. Did something happen with Vic or some of his prominent supporters?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I just typed #Kickvic and it seems like the vast majority of Twitter posts are still pro Vic and hating on Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi. Only a small number of Youtube personalities, like Mother's Basement and Red Bard, are not fans of Vic. In Red Bard's case, he personally caused her discomfort at Izumicon 2009 (calling her "princess.")

doomrider7

That One Guy
I haven't kept up with the situation on Twitter for awhile. There didn't seem to be much news after the lawsuit came out. Did something happen with Vic or some of his prominent supporters?

Oh God. Give me one sec to dig it up, It's biblical.

Edit: Found it. Obvious word of warning due to language content, but oh God. It's... It's everything I ever wanted.

This is the thread discussing the entire situation and where the dunking starts and goes on til page 106.

This is the spinoff thread where it's lawyers, like ACTUAL LAWYERS dunking on Mignogna's legal team.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
Oh God. Give me one sec to dig it up, It's biblical.

Edit: Found it. Obvious word of warning due to language content, but oh God. It's... It's everything I ever wanted.

This is the thread discussing the entire situation and where the dunking starts and goes on til page 106.

Wow. That document is so horrible and pathetic that it's almost amazing. Every paragraph is just absolutely wrong. Vic has generally avoided talking about the sexual harassment claims, but he did make two apologies on Twitter, as well as a public apology in his first con after the accusation started to get more attention. That really weakens their claim that Vic never admitted to any wrongdoings towards women. Even in another article, he comments on that some of the sexual encounters he had with other women did happen, but he remembered them differently.

I'm convinced that whoever wrote this doesn't know what defamation is. It isn't just making up false claims. As far as I understand it, it's knowingly spread false information with the intent of damaging a person's reputation. They don't actually explain why any of these statements are false. They just say that they are false and thus are defamation, which I imagine is not really the best approach when trying to prove something in court. The part about Vic not having a social media account at the time is extremely vague, especially when they only included a time instead of a date to go with it. Claiming that it's defamation to say that he's been fired from all major studios instead of just two is a really huge stretch too. We only know that he's been fired from two studios for sure, but is someone saying that he's already been fired really going to do more damage to his reputation? It's also pretty much damaged beyond repair, especially when he was infamous well before this year. If anything, filing this lawsuit against his former employer and co workers is going to make it harder for Vic to get more work in the industry than someone saying that he's already been fired from all major studios.

The last paragraph is really something else. Out of all of the paragraphs shown in the document, that's the one where I really wonder if it was written by a lawyer, by one of Vic's fans or Vic himself. Regardless of who did it, someone really thought that Vic not actually being feces is a good defense and that the particular insult is defamation to begin with. That is just mind boggling that someone wrote this document or event approved of it.

doormrider7 said:
This is the spinoff thread where it's lawyers, like ACTUAL LAWYERS dunking on Mignogna's legal team.

Seeing actual lawyers comment on his legal team is pretty amazing and satisfying. I'm no legal expert myself, but even I could see a judge tossing this document in the garbage. It is rather sad that people were still arguing against the lawyers and demanding for them to come on livestreams to explain their points. I think too many people who are pro Vic are just too used to a lawyer shouting out nonsense on a livestream and expect/want other lawyers to do that too. Some of them still acted like they knew more about the legal system than the actual lawyers they were talking to, which is sadly fitting. I'm not kidding when I say that people would still worship the ground Vic walks on even if there was a video showing him trying to sexually harass another person. Some people are just so firmly set on the notion that he's an innocent voice actor whose career is being ruined by the women out to get his roles that they can't see anything else even when actual lawyers say that this case is just a joke.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
No freaking way an actual lawyer wrote this. You sure we're not living in a sitcom?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
No freaking way an actual lawyer wrote this. You sure we're not living in a sitcom?

View attachment 241231
Giuliani is his lawyer now. Explains everything.

Edit:

Also, I would very much like to hear Vic's lawyer argue in court that he is not a literal piece of s***. Because I don't think that argument is as clear-cut as Vic's lawyer thinks it is.

Edit 2:

One of the commenters sagely claims that about 90% of the people defending Vic aren't actual fans of his. They are fans of rape and assault. Which makes more sense to me.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
Edit 2:

One of the commenters sagely claims that about 90% of the people defending Vic aren't actual fans of his. They are fans of rape and assault. Which makes more sense to me.

Yeah, that would explain a lot. Vic is/was a popular voice actor, but most of his fans were young girls, or at least that was the impression I got. Plus, he hasn't really had any noteworthy roles in years. He's been doing voice acting work for a long time, but his most popular roles were for shows done back in the 2000's. He's voiced Broly pretty consistently too and I'm sure that the recent movie gave him more attention too, but there's a few reasons why he's primarily remembered for roles from FMA and Ouran High School Host Club instead of anything more recent.

It's also really telling that the bulk of Vic's support, at least on Twitter and YouTube at this point, are from some alt right sites/channels. I'm pretty sure Vic's lawyer friend who setup the Gofundme page for him has called out for multiple people to be doxxed, including one of the lawyers who was pointing out how pathetic this document is. It really doesn't make Vic look any better when these kind of people are eagerly defending him. To give Vic some credit, he did make a comment on Twitter months ago that he doesn't want people to harass or threaten other people in his defense, but I don't know think he's done anything else besides that in regards to this kind of behavior. If I was unsure about this situation for whatever reason, I'm pretty sure the kind of behavior of the pro Vic crowd would turn me off from supporting him on any level. Again, that isn't to say that the people against Vic aren't capable of saying terrible things. The situation isn't so black and white, but I still think that we're long past the point of trying to determine which side is the worse one.

I've also seen and heard of young kids trying to argue that these accusations didn't happen, despite how many of them were too young during his peak of popularity. They may not be misogynistic necessarily, but they could be just impressionable kids who hear a lot of people on YouTube yelling about how Vic is an innocent man whose career is being ruined with no evidence and fully believe it just because so many people on YouTube are saying nonsense like that.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I was not expecting such a quick response from Funimation, but they could have had this in the works since the lawsuit was first filed. It looks and sounds like the person who wrote that document actually understood how the law works, so that gives Funimation's legal team a huge edge against whoever is helping Vic. Granted, I don't think that a good lawyer would really give Vic more credibility either, but whoever wrote up that previous document for him was not helping his case at all. Plus, there's a lot of holes and contradictions in Vic's arguments that can be easily be pointed out.

Despite all the claims about how there isn't enough evidence for Vic to be fired, the fact that at least Funimation was able to do an internal investigation to basically fire Vic says otherwise. I imagine that companies don't just throw break ties with people in the middle of a controversy simply based on tweets. If that is the case, then they would have even more evidence to disprove Vic's claims than we're currently aware of. Plus, they actually know what defamation is and that the tweets made by those voice actresses don't qualify as such.

EDIT: I totally didn't realize that Funimation was calling for a trial with a jury until I read through the document again. They are not pulling any punches. The only way I could see this being settled out of court now would be if Vic decides that he doesn't want to be declared guilty and/or doesn't want all of that evidence thrown at him. Funimation has the money and competent lawyers to back them up, while Vic doesn't have either one, or at least competent lawyers. He may still want to take the matter to court, but I do not see things going Vic's way if that is the case.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Looks like Vic's VA days are really for real over. He's been recast in season 3 of Bungo Stray Dogs and replaced by some guy named Landon McDonald, who's previously voiced almost exclusively extras. I think Bang Zoom won't hire him anymore and we won't see him in Viz or Crunchyroll dubs either. League of Legends and Sonic have also recast his roles.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Looks like Vic's VA days are really for real over. He's been recast in season 3 of Bungo Stray Dogs and replaced by some guy named Landon McDonald, who's previously voiced almost exclusively extras. I think Bang Zoom won't hire him anymore and we won't see him in Viz or Crunchyroll dubs either. League of Legends and Sonic have also recast his roles.

I was wondering if he was going to be replaced in Bungo Stray Dogs after they announced a third season. I suspect that he'll be replaced when the next Free! season starts too. I didn't know that he was already replaced for League of Legends and Sonic.

I'm glad that they are choosing to replace him. As this situation continues to unfold, the more I truly regret ever liking Vic or thinking that he was a good person. The way he has responded to these accusations and especially the people he has chosen to help him in his lawsuit shows his true colors. Besides all that, choosing to keep him around would just be bad or problematic for most studios now. He was seemingly always hard to work with, but now that more of his behavior is out in the open, he's even more PR poison for any dub.

Choosing to sue his previous employer and former co workers definitely doesn't help matters either. If Vic really wanted to salvage his voice acting career, then he shouldn't be suing Funimation. Taking some time off to reflect and ideally become a better person would hav been a more fitting route to take. Admittedly, that might not have made people more willing to work with Vic. Vic's behavior has been considered an open secret within the industry for a long time and it's possible that he can't really change his behavior, at least not by himself, but taking legal action against Funimation, as well as two voice actresses who have received so much harassment and death threats due to speaking out against him, really doesn't paint Vic in a good light. Regardless of the outcome, all this lawsuit is going to do in regards to Vic's voice acting career is show that he isn't good to work with. Although, I highly suspect that he has no chance of winning for many reasons. I think that Vic just wants to squeeze some more money out of Funimation through this lawsuit, but it's far more likely that he'll have to pay for the legal fees.

doomrider7

That One Guy
I was wondering if he was going to be replaced in Bungo Stray Dogs after they announced a third season. I suspect that he'll be replaced when the next Free! season starts too. I didn't know that he was already replaced for League of Legends and Sonic.

I'm glad that they are choosing to replace him. As this situation continues to unfold, the more I truly regret ever liking Vic or thinking that he was a good person. The way he has responded to these accusations and especially the people he has chosen to help him in his lawsuit shows his true colors. Besides all that, choosing to keep him around would just be bad or problematic for most studios now. He was seemingly always hard to work with, but now that more of his behavior is out in the open, he's even more PR poison for any dub.

Choosing to sue his previous employer and former co workers definitely doesn't help matters either. If Vic really wanted to salvage his voice acting career, then he shouldn't be suing Funimation. Taking some time off to reflect and ideally become a better person would hav been a more fitting route to take. Admittedly, that might not have made people more willing to work with Vic. Vic's behavior has been considered an open secret within the industry for a long time and it's possible that he can't really change his behavior, at least not by himself, but taking legal action against Funimation, as well as two voice actresses who have received so much harassment and death threats due to speaking out against him, really doesn't paint Vic in a good light. Regardless of the outcome, all this lawsuit is going to do in regards to Vic's voice acting career is show that he isn't good to work with. Although, I highly suspect that he has no chance of winning for many reasons. I think that Vic just wants to squeeze some more money out of Funimation through this lawsuit, but it's far more likely that he'll have to pay for the legal fees.

There's a thread on Resetera that lists all of the info about Vic and this case. The man has been a creeper and predator for YEARS and going into decades with an arrogant attitude that he is owed his popularity and adulation along with the people letting his behavior slide. The law suit is two fake lawyers grifitng him for money and never stood any chance of actually working or going anywhere positive except burning bridges he didn't even deserve to have up anyway.

The Overlord

Looks like Vic's VA days are really for real over. He's been recast in season 3 of Bungo Stray Dogs and replaced by some guy named Landon McDonald, who's previously voiced almost exclusively extras. I think Bang Zoom won't hire him anymore and we won't see him in Viz or Crunchyroll dubs either. League of qLegends and Sonic have also recast his roles.

He also got fired from RWBY and his role was recently recast:

Heck I bet CBS would have let Vic do a voice on one of their Star Trek cartooons, if this had not happened.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts