Vic Mignogna Controversies

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
That's not too surprising. The atmosphere has gotten so toxic on Twitter that I think a lot of the KickVic supporters stopped using it once Vic was fired from Funimation. At least that's what I can tell since I just lurk around on Twitter and most of the anti-Vic people I read about were just tired of dealing with his supporters.

Most of the harassment and death threats I've seen thrown around are from Vic supporters. To be clear, I don't think that everyone who supports Vic is doing stuff like that or are terrible people. I'm positive that there have been anti-Vic people who have said terrible things too. I just think one side as a whole is clearly than the other. Vic's large fanbase is a reason why some of his victims didn't want to be identified in the first place.

You make good points about this.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I just found something upsetting. Me and one other user on this site (Light Lucario) have both been made fun of on some forum named Kiwifarms, which seems to be an alt right website. I'm disgusted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Light Lucario

Staff member
I think that I've heard of Kiwifarms before. I'm not even going to bother reading it. I'm already aware of people talking about me behind my back in general, so knowing what people on an alt right website say about me definitely wouldn't do anything good for me. I've most likely heard any insults they've thrown at me before, but I don't feel like being upset for the rest of the day either.

As disturbing as this is, I'm not too surprised. I think I've heard of similar situations for Anime News Network's forums. People on other sites comment on their threads regarding the Vic Mignonga situation as well. It's a pretty easy way to get around a site's rules. They can potentially say whatever they want without having to deal with any consequences since they aren't a member.

It also isn't surprising given how quite a few Vic supporters are either members of the alt right or use alt right terminology, at least based on what I've seen. To be clear, I don't think that everyone who supports Vic are members of the alt right. I do think that the YouTube conspiracy channels tend to attract an alt right audience. Calling this Animegate is especially telling given what I remember of the GamerGate situation from a few years ago. Not to mention the image of Vic as a poor innocent Christian white man being accused largely by women of sexual harassment would certainly make the alt right crowd eager to defend him.

I also removed the link to the site. I don't want to give a site like that exposure here or risk the situation getting further out of control.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
If they had any courage whatsoever they'd join this site and say those things to your faces. It's the fact that you can argue your opinions on the merits which is why they are too chicken to do that. If their opinions had a leg to stand on they could actually defend them.

doomrider7

That One Guy
I think that I've heard of Kiwifarms before. I'm not even going to bother reading it. I'm already aware of people talking about me behind my back in general, so knowing what people on an alt right website say about me definitely wouldn't do anything good for me. I've most likely heard any insults they've thrown at me before, but I don't feel like being upset for the rest of the day either.

As disturbing as this is, I'm not too surprised. I think I've heard of similar situations for Anime News Network's forums. People on other sites comment on their threads regarding the Vic Mignonga situation as well. It's a pretty easy way to get around a site's rules. They can potentially say whatever they want without having to deal with any consequences since they aren't a member.

It also isn't surprising given how quite a few Vic supporters are either members of the alt right or use alt right terminology, at least based on what I've seen. To be clear, I don't think that everyone who supports Vic are members of the alt right. I do think that the YouTube conspiracy channels tend to attract an alt right audience. Calling this Animegate is especially telling given what I remember of the GamerGate situation from a few years ago. Not to mention the image of Vic as a poor innocent Christian white man being accused largely by women of sexual harassment would certainly make the alt right crowd eager to defend him.

I also removed the link to the site. I don't want to give a site like that exposure here or risk the situation getting further out of control.

Seriously, look up Shield Hero and you'll see why this has gotten so much traction. The show LITERALLY starts with not just a false rape accusation meant to ruin the leads life for what seems like no reason, but the show also goes out of its way to mention that the kingdom it happens in is a "Matriarchy where a guy wouldn't dare reject a drink offered to him by a girl" amongst several other really messed up things.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
If they had any courage whatsoever they'd join this site and say those things to your faces. It's the fact that you can argue your opinions on the merits which is why they are too chicken to do that. If their opinions had a leg to stand on they could actually defend them.

They accuse this place of being a "hugbox" even though we do have Vic supporters here as well as detractors. There it seems to be Vic supporters only. The idea that Picard would definitely side with Vic is not a statement I can make with full confidence. The argument that only fake Star Trek fans doubt Vic isn't the most educated argument. I am surprised that Star Trek has tackled a lot of social issues, but I'm surprised that I can't think of many that deal with sexual harassment. I would think that Discovery would be a great chance to deal with 2010s issues, but the series seems to be somewhat less heavy handed on social commentary than previous iterations. That's why I find the idea that Discovery is "too PC" a little weird. Anyway, my tirade about Star Trek has gone on long enough. I thought I'd put a rebuttal to that stupid forum here so they can read it and weep.

It seems like Vic fanboys seem to be attacking doubters from anywhere and Animesupero is the new target of #IstandwithVic. Wouldn't be surprised if some stupid Youtube channel claims that Vic is going to sue this forum for using our free speech.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Seriously, look up Shield Hero and you'll see why this has gotten so much traction. The show LITERALLY starts with not just a false rape accusation meant to ruin the leads life for what seems like no reason, but the show also goes out of its way to mention that the kingdom it happens in is a "Matriarchy where a guy wouldn't dare reject a drink offered to him by a girl" amongst several other really messed up things.

That sounds pretty awful. I heard some positive reviews for the show, but I didn't know that the premise was that messed up. Although, this does explain why I've heard some people say that Vic would be a good choice for the lead character despite how it's already getting the simuldub treatment.

They accuse this place of being a "hugbox" even though we do have Vic supporters here as well as detractors. There it seems to be Vic supporters only. The idea that Picard would definitely side with Vic is not a statement I can make with full confidence. The argument that only fake Star Trek fans doubt Vic isn't the most educated argument. I am surprised that Star Trek has tackled a lot of social issues, but I'm surprised that I can't think of many that deal with sexual harassment. I would think that Discovery would be a great chance to deal with 2010s issues, but the series seems to be somewhat less heavy handed on social commentary than previous iterations. That's why I find the idea that Discovery is "too PC" a little weird. Anyway, my tirade about Star Trek has gone on long enough. I thought I'd put a rebuttal to that stupid forum here so they can read it and weep.

I've never even heard the term hugbox before, but it does seem like a stretch based on what I read about the term. Most of the comments here have been anti-Vic, but there have certainly been detractors and supporters too. Compared to other threads on similar topics like on John K., this thread has been surprisingly calm, which I appreciate, especially when this topic is a constant toxic mess on other sites. While I do tend to disagree with the points brought up in favor of Vic and/or against the victims involved, I can understand where some of them are coming from or why this situation would be upsetting for his fans. I was a fan of his work for a long time, so I can see why people would prefer for their image of Vic to not be ruined. If this situation was about a less well known/popular voice actor, I doubt that the backlash would be anywhere near as intense as it has been.

I have a limited understanding of Star Trek and even I think that the idea that Picard would side with Vic is nonsensical. Of course they use the fake fan logic. Whenever I see people doing that, I immediately know that they just want to be condescending jerks who act superior towards anyone who think differently than they do. Targeting you due to your username certainly doesn't reflect well on their maturity either. I don't blame you for wanting to put up a rebuttal since reading the comments must have been hard on you. That's one reason why I didn't want to know what they said about me. My response is I don't want to deal with their nonsense in the slightest.

PicardMan said:
It seems like Vic fanboys seem to be attacking doubters from anywhere and Animesupero is the new target of #IstandwithVic. Wouldn't be surprised if some stupid Youtube channel claims that Vic is going to sue this forum for using our free speech.

That sadly wouldn't be surprising for me either. These YouTube conspiracy channels tend to turn out videos pretty fast and they do attack any site or person that doesn't support Vic. That does not help make Vic look any better as far as I'm concerned. If they do make any videos about this site, I would advise to not post them here. We don't want to give these kind of videos and channels more exposure.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
That sadly wouldn't be surprising for me either. These YouTube conspiracy channels tend to turn out videos pretty fast and they do attack any site or person that doesn't support Vic. That does not help make Vic look any better as far as I'm concerned. If they do make any videos about this site, I would advise to not post them here. We don't want to give these kind of videos and channels more exposure.

I think I'll try to avoid that. Admittedly, I just have a habit of posting something that upsets me without thinking that maybe some people could actually take these opinions seriously. It's kind of instinctual for some people to show others what upsets you, but I think I can just do a "take my word for it" and describe what was said. Even with the link taken down, the point is that I was called a fake Star Trek fan for doubting Vic's innocence.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I think I'll try to avoid that. Admittedly, I just have a habit of posting something that upsets me without thinking that maybe some people could actually take these opinions seriously. It's kind of instinctual for some people to show others what upsets you, but I think I can just do a "take my word for it" and describe what was said. Even with the link taken down, the point is that I was called a fake Star Trek fan for doubting Vic's innocence.

It's okay. You didn't do anything wrong with posting the links. I was just worried about giving the site more exposure and potentially making the situation worse given how toxic some of Vic supporters can be. Same for the YouTube channels, especially when they actively encourage harassment and victim blaming logic. I can understand wanting to share something like this since finding out that random people are insulting you behind your back is not a pleasant discovery. I've been there and it is upsetting to say the least. Talking about these developments is okay, but linking to these kind of sites or YouTube videos might make the situation more intense.

doomrider7

That One Guy
That sounds pretty awful. I heard some positive reviews for the show, but I didn't know that the premise was that messed up. Although, this does explain why I've heard some people say that Vic would be a good choice for the lead character despite how it's already getting the simuldub treatment.

I am so sorry. It...has issues. And that's the nicest way I can...Jesus I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it. Don't want to derail so I'll PM you the stuff.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
The Youtube war is getting bad enough that the creator of the #kickvic hashtag, Marzgurl, is suing the Youtubers who profit about telling how evil she supposedly is, for defamation. Click here to support Help with legal fees organized by Kaylyn Dalene Saucedo . She tried to dox the infamous Youtuber Yellowflash, to much controversy. Voice Actor D. C. Douglas stands with Marzgurl and believes her justified,
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">She&#39;s almost at $3000 which is enough. And finding someone who is harassing you publicly? Fair game, babe.</p>&mdash; D.C. Douglas (@DC_Douglas) <a href="">May 1, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought I heard about that. I can't really blame her when she is one of the main targets of these YouTube conspiracy channels, anything she says can be twisted around and she gets death threats on a daily basis. Even just searching her username on YouTube doesn't lead me to her channel, but rather to all of the conspiracy channels and videos insulting her. I think she would have a stronger case for defamation than Vic does by comparison. Even with all of the accusations coming out during the past few months, Vic's reputation wasn't really the best beforehand. There have been stories circling around him for at least a decade and he was already pretty infamous among the convention circuit too, so the notion that the voice actresses he's suing deliberately spread false information to ruin his career when his reputation wasn't exactly good to begin with is harder to believe with that in mind.

I'm not sure how things will go for her, but I do think she has more of a legal case here given the channels devoted to harassing her, spreading false information like the whole doxxing Vic's mother accusation and sending her death threats on both her Twitter and YouTube channel. I also heard about her trying to doxx YellowFlash. From what I understand, she asked about it privately on Facebook and one of her friends leaked the message online. That might not make what she did entirely okay, but if that was the context, then I think whoever leaked the post online looks a lot worse to me.

doomrider7

That One Guy
Is it too much to ask people in the entertainment industry to act like adults? To treat each other with kindness and decency? Because speaking for me personally, I don't find that an unfathomable burden. It disturbs me how many people do.

Even the slightest bit of power and fame to some people is absolutely corruptive and enabling to be absolutely vile as a human being.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Even the slightest bit of power and fame to some people is absolutely corruptive and enabling to be absolutely vile as a human being.
I don't even think it's that. I think just a large segment of society just plain sucks and we are only just now talking about it. I don't think fame has much to do with it. There are plenty of rapists and molesters out there who aren't famous. The only difference is the famous people had been getting away with it until now.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I don't even think it's that. I think just a large segment of society just plain sucks and we are only just now talking about it. I don't think fame has much to do with it. There are plenty of rapists and molesters out there who aren't famous. The only difference is the famous people had been getting away with it until now.

Aren't the majority of #IstandwithVic firebrands no names? I think the Marzgurl/Yellowflash issue is going completely under the radar, but it is an indication of how nasty the war is getting and how ordinary people can be nasty.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Aren't the majority of #IstandwithVic firebrands no names? I think the Marzgurl/Yellowflash issue is going completely under the radar, but it is an indication of how nasty the war is getting and how ordinary people can be nasty.
I don't like to blame fame or celebrity going to someone's head for bad behavior. The person who did the crappy behavior is fully responsible for it. Fame made them do nothing. There are plenty of famous people who are lovely people.

But yes, you are right that it's very clear that this is a problem with society as seen here. This would not have blown up the way it did were it not for some formerly non-famous people fanning the flames. Vic would have simply been quietly fired and that would have been the end of it.

Light Lucario

Staff member
If this was about any other voice actor, the situation most likely wouldn't have exploded like it has. It would have still attracted attention if this was about another big name at Funimation, but I don't think the reactions or backlash would have been anywhere near as intense as they have been with Vic. Most people would have accepted that a voice actor was fired after an internal investigation was done if said voice actor wasn't someone as popular/recognizable as Vic. Regardless of what you think about these accusations, quite a few of his fans/defenders have made the situation worse with harassing some of the women who spoke out against him and belittling the claims from his former fans too.

It isn't too surprising in a way. Vic has a large fanbase and that was one of the reasons why some of the women didn't want to be identified in previous articles. Plus, his image as a Christian would make people more eager to defend him or instantly believe that none of these accusations could be true.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts