"Marvel Animation on Disney+" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
disneypluslogo-jpg.208152

Use this thread to discuss general Marvel Animation news about the new Disney+ digital platform! (Launching November 12th, 2019) Which shows will be available, regular updates in regards to content, what series you'd like to see and why - old and new, and what not.

If any new original Marvel Animated series for the service are announced, new threads will be posted once they are confirmed.

Related threads:
"Marvel's What If?" (Disney+ Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)
"Baymax!" (Disney+ Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)
"Marvel Zombies" (Disney+ Animated Series) News & Discussion (Spoilers)
"X-Men '97" (X-Men TAS sequel) Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)
"Spider-Man: Freshman Year" (Disney+ Animated Series) News & Discussion (Spoilers)
"I Am Groot" (Disney+ Animated Shorts) News & Discussion (Spoilers)

To discuss the live-action Marvel series coming to Disney+, please use this thread: "Marvel on Disney+" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

For general Disney+ news and updates, please use this thread:
Disney+ News & Discussion Thread

Last edited:

Hulkwummy

I'm thinking Disney Afternoon Shows like Aladdin the Series and shows from the 2000s like Lilo and Stitch the Series. but yeah, those too.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm looking forward to there being a few cool Marvel animated projects on Disney Plus.
The only thing I'm a tad concerned about is that it seems like pretty much all the Marvel content on Disney+ is going to be MCU-based, even this series from the initial report, so I hope an MCU connection isn't a barometer for content on Disney+ getting approved because that could prove limiting in certain respects.

Obviously I'd hate for us to not get new (and great) cartoons based around Spider-Man or The Avengers just because they won't directly tie-in to the MCU. Ditto for the Fox properties.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
For announcements, I think April 11th was rumored as a date for an investor's day event or something like that, when Marvel could reveal more about the live-action Loki series coming to Disney+ so I would imagine it'd be the best place to announce some animated projects for the streaming service as well. Comic-Con seems to focus on the Hulu series, from what I can tell.

I'm thinking Disney Afternoon Shows like Aladdin the Series and shows from the 2000s like Lilo and Stitch the Series. but yeah, those too.
There's a general Disney+ thread on the Disney/Pixar forum where you can discuss more about this. Let's keep this topic about Marvel Animation, and potentially new such shows.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
The only thing I'm a tad concerned about is that it seems like pretty much all the Marvel content on Disney+ is going to be MCU-based, even this series from the initial report, so I hope an MCU connection isn't a barometer for content on Disney+ getting approved because that could prove limiting in certain respects.

Obviously I'd hate for us to not get new (and great) cartoons based around Spider-Man or The Avengers just because they won't directly tie-in to the MCU. Ditto for the Fox properties.
I think it would be cool to probably do some MCU based episodes but I do hope that they don't base everything around that and that they really make the most use of this format. After seven years of cartoons trying not to "confuse" kids by not straying from the MCU, I hope they ditch that idea.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
For announcements, I think April 11th was rumored as a date for an investor's day event or something like that, when Marvel could reveal more about the live-action Loki series coming to Disney+ so I would imagine it'd be the best place to announce some animated projects for the streaming service as well. Comic-Con seems to focus on the Hulu series, from what I can tell.
Is there a D23 this year? Because I remember that having a lot more animated news then what we usually get out of Comic-Con :sweat:.
Whatever Marvel cartoon they have planned I hope the X-Men will star or at least make cameos in it. Regardless how I feel about them being allegory for being a minority groups, we could use more of that in our current socio-political climate.
It would be nice to see the X-Men in animation again :).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The D23 Expo is in August this year, I think. True, it's possible more details might be revealed then but it seems like such a long wait. :p

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
We have What If? supposedly in the works. I still think Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur might be going to the service. If those two turn out to be real, the only other show I really wish for right now would be a new X-Men series. It's been too long for me.

I think a Moon Girl show aimed at the TV-Y crowd, X-Men for TV-Y7, and What If? for TV-PG could be a pretty cool selection of Marvel shows if they're all well done and everything, ideally. This is wishful thinking though. Disney and Marvel might have completely different offerings in mind.

I was thinking of the What If? Issue that they said would be adapted "What if Loki had found the hammer of Thor?" and that got me wondering how this would be able to be based on the MCU. I just remembered that, during the first Thor movie, we saw what happens when Loki came across the hammer in SHIELD custody. He wasn't able to lift it. I've never read that issue before but I'm really curious what they're going to do here. I guess finding it doesn't mean that he necessarily needs to be able to lift it.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Given the live-action Marvel shows announced for Disney+ are supposed to be mini-series (6 or 8 episodes, I think), I wonder if this will also have a shorter amount of episodes. Or if it would be doubled if they need 6-8 hours of content for each show, since I kind of doubt the animated series will have episodes longer than 30 minutes (give or take a few minutes). Either way, I'm looking forward to this.
I could see this maybe being 10-13 episodes, give or take.

I am kind of surprised they haven't announced more cartoons for the service though. Really curious to see what they do on that front :confused:.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I could see this maybe being 10-13 episodes, give or take.

I am kind of surprised they haven't announced more cartoons for the service though. Really curious to see what they do on that front :confused:.
Yeah, the announcements for animation have been a little light other than Monsters Inc, What If and The Simpsons.

Batboy84

Yeah, the announcements for animation have been a little light other than Monsters Inc, What If and The Simpsons.

Don't forget The Clone Wars. Honestly, my question is how much money they'll put into What If. Will it be really good animation like EMH or even Ultimate Spider-Man, or will it just be par for the course for Marvel animation these days and look as cheap as one can get?

Frontier

Staff member
Ultimate Spider-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy will also be on the service.

Surprisingly no Marvel's Spider-Man or Avengers Assemble (or other older Marvel shows).
Don't forget The Clone Wars. Honestly, my question is how much money they'll put into What If. Will it be really good animation like EMH or even Ultimate Spider-Man, or will it just be par for the course for Marvel animation these days and look as cheap as one can get?
I have to imagine, with Feige involved and this being connected to the MCU, it will get a sizeable animation budget.

Unless all the money goes to casting the MCU actors :p.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I am kind of leaning towards them using Titmouse, if only because they're doing the Moon Girl cartoon and also some of those cool Star Wars animations based on older movies :).
Titmouse handled the Spider-Ham short recently as well.

I've kind of wanted to see Titmouse involved with a Marvel show since GI Joe Resolute. They'd do things like Black Panther, or the Marvel Heroes game or their Deadpool pitch but it still wasn't the fully realized show that I wanted to see. Being on board the Moon Girl show had me very excited but we have had no news. If they were working on What If?, I'd be very okay with it.

I'm glad they were able to to patch up after that Deadpool fiasco.

I don't think there was much to patch up. Titmouse made their pitch but another studio won the job, until they lost the job.

Frontier

Staff member
I am a little disappointed that they didn't have any of the Avengers anime's listed.

Are we ever going to be able to watch those legally :p?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts