Adult Swim 24/7 launches in Canada on April 1st

Dynamite Soldier

Holy crap...So this is why the Adult Swim block on Cartoon Network Canada was ditched...I never thought I'd see the day where Adult Swim gets a 24 hour channel...I wonder what they'll fill the programming with, since there's only so little they can play outside of their usual hours...
I can imagine endless FOX reruns and Cancon programming air throughout the day, while AS originals (I think most of them are rated 18+ over there) air after 9pm or so.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Holy crap...So this is why the Adult Swim block on Cartoon Network Canada was ditched...I never thought I'd see the day where Adult Swim gets a 24 hour channel...I wonder what they'll fill the programming with, since there's only so little they can play outside of their usual hours...

The channel that's being rebranded runs a lot of TruTV shows. Could be easy daytime filler.

LinusFan303

Squeak
From Corus' press release it's replacing a channel called Action which from their schedule looks like the saddest channel I've ever seen. Will be interesting to see how they do it.

LinusFan303

Squeak
I kind of hope they don't make it 24 hour channel in the states ,personally it feels less special if it's on all day at least to me. Does make wonder if Warner will be monitoring what Corus does in Canada and thinks about the idea of 24 hour channel in the states.

The Overlord

Maybe some odd, old local show that aired on Teletoon at Night?

I live in Canada and I remember Teletoon's attempt at adult based ''Canadian Content'' cartoons, were kinda desperate, they would often rerun the same 13 episodes of Undergrads, all the time.

Teletoon did try to appeal to teens in the past, they made this cartoon called Delta State (along with Canal+) that was very different from other cartoons. Somewhat rough animation, but was kinda of unique. Ended on a cliffhanger though.

Maybe they get some adult geared anime or invest in some interesting animation projects to fill out the schedule or maybe they just show Undergrads a lot, again.

I wonder if the French version of this station will be different then the English one, I heard the French version of Teletoon had shows the English one never had (Quebec French dubs of Simpsons and South Park, neither show appeared on English Teletoon).

Last edited:

M622

Teletoon did try to appeal to teens in the past, they made this cartoon called Delta State (along with Canal+) that was very different from other cartoons. Somewhat rough animation, but was kinda of unique. Ended on a cliffhanger though.
heard about that show via wikipedia. looked like a cross between AS's own Dream Corp LLC and X-men. especialy with the rotoscope animation.

SpaceCowboy

(snip)
I wonder if the French version of this station will be different then the English one, I heard the French version of Teletoon had shows the English one never had (Quebec French dubs of Simpsons and South Park, neither show appeared on English Teletoon).
I remember The Simpsons coming on English Teletoon back in 1998 when I stayed in a motel near Toronto. The ident the channel was using at the time had a smiley-face like in this promo:

Last edited:

Mc123

Maybe they get some adult geared anime or invest in some interesting animation projects to fill out the schedule or maybe they just show Undergrads a lot, again.

Another possibility would be some older Adult Swim series and other PG/14+-rated pre-9pm-friendly (probably edited) shows.

If you talking about a French version of Adult Swim, this is a definitely unlikely case. Considering that French dubs of Adult Swim series are nearly non existant, Télétoon la nuit doesn't have enough series to warrant a channel, and it still very popular on Télétoon anyway, and finally Corus doesn't have any other French adult channel beside Séries+ and Historia, which neither fit for any of the former's shows.

Also, South Park didn't have a Quebec dub (well, not on Télétoon, but it was short lived), it used the France dub.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Corus operates a lot of channels in Canada, mainly because of the 20% foreign media ownership rule in the country. The good thing about this, is that Corus has a massive library of shows it could air on Adult Swim and be suitable to air during the daytime.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts