Avengers: Black Panther's Quest "House of M" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Discuss this "Avengers Assemble" episode!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers: Black Panther Quest, tonight starting at 9:30PM ET! Don't miss the second part of the season finale!

NtouNqC.png
Marvel's Avengers: Black Panther's Quest "House of M"
Episode Debut - February 24th, 2019

The past actions of Black Panther and The Avengers come back to haunt them.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Notes: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

Additionally, some of the cast members will live-tweet during the premiere, and a special audio commentary of the episode will be released on YouTube. More details here.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel's Avengers: Black Panther's Quest "House Of M"

Passable. But considering what a suck-tear the show has been on, I'll take a passable series finale and like it.

But I am very aware that Ultimate Spider-Man gave us an amazing last episode while this show's last episode was merely okay. It also seemed unrelated to everything else which didn't help much either.

It's the last episode ever and Hawkeye still can't stop being a d-word.

Hulk being absent for the last episode feels wrong too. Him being absent for the whole season feels even more wrong.

I love Tony's observation that if the Red Skull likes your plan, you're on the wrong side. It's not an especially clever observation, but it's effective because it's both obvious and true. It's funny that somebody even feels the need to say it. It should be a no-brainer.

Thor in his eyepatch is a wasted bit of Marvel synergy. He doesn't even have it in the movies anymore.

Love the tribute card to Stan Lee at the end.

The episode was a bit dull, and meandering. But it didn't actually suck. Ultimately, I cannot say the same for the rest of the series. I think last season was the point of no return and this season had an obligation to bring things up to snuff for the final season ever so we wouldn't be like "Good riddance" once the show was off the air. If anything, the last season wound up even worse than all of the others. But the last episode worked because it didn't engage in hero fights or misunderstandings between two good guys who refuse to explain themselves properly. What's amazing, amusing, and appalling to me is that Clint is actually allowed to have an uninterrupted conversation with Whitney and say what he needs to say to try and stop her. It's ironic he gets this against the one person who would never listen, whereas T'Challa is brushing off friends and allies who would be on his side if he actually said anything of value other than "You have to listen to me" or "You don't understand". And considering Clint is the worst and stupidest character, it's ironic (in a good way I think) that the series gave the moment to him rather than the season's lead character. To be honest, after all that, T'Challa hadn't earned it. Clint hadn't either, but I have been witnessing T'Challa's disastrous leadership and decisions the entire season, so I don't object giving it to the worst character over him. Which should tell you how bad a job Black Panther did this season.

The episode didn't suck, but it also wasn't amazing or a great send-off for a show that had been on the air for five seasons, and had a record number of episodes for a Marvel show. But the fact that I was able to watch it, and even enjoy it by the end, whereas I was unable to do that for most of the rest of the season tells me I liked more than I didn't. Decent finale to a horrible season and series. ***.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
The previous episode pretty much concluded all the major storylines of "Black Panther's Quest," so all in all this episode felt more like an "aftermath" or "epilogue" meant to finish off the season's loose ends and cap off Avengers Assemble as a series as a whole more then anything else. Black Panther himself was more of a supporting player in this episode compared to the rest of the season...

And in some ways this episode did feel a tad full-circle, with the Avengers once again contending with Red Skull and the forces of Hydra as they did in season 1 (and Iron Man and Red Skull are once again stuck together), and re-emphasizing the original team (just minus Hulk and Falcon). I'm kind of surprised they didn't work Hulk in there despite the fact that they had Fred Tatasciore in there as Crossbones :confused:.

But this probably felt the least "grand" of all the grand finales of Assemble, being a more low-key episode compared to past finales. I mean, as an episode I think it was pretty solid, but as a possible series finale it's kind of underwhelming :ack:.

Did anyone else get Dr. Doom vibes from Madame Masque with her wearing that green cloak? Coincidence? Deliberate call-back? We may never know :p.

Iron Man being a major part of Madame Masque's plan is probably the closest we've gotten to seeing these two go head-to-head, given Whitney is traditionally an Iron Man villainess ;).

I guess the show just couldn't help itself as far as forced movie synergy with Thor randomly sporting his Ragnarok design and personality (and it's already an out-of-date look as far as the movies anyways). That is one aspect of Assemble that I will never miss :rolleyes:.

How did Madame Masque even manage to control Jjarnbjorn? Because it's magitech or something o_O?

I liked them acknowledging Crossbones' loyalty to Red Skull :).

This season hasn't been kind to Hawkeye, both on a physical and characterization level, so it was nice to see them fix his hands and redeem Clint's character a bit by letting him admit to his faults and trying to let go of his anger towards T'Challa, as well as showcasing his softer side with his interactions with Whitney. He also got a pretty cool hero moment at the end :cool:.

So was the plan for Clint to expose T'Challa, or did T'Challa just bank on Clint doing the right thing to stop Whitney once Madame Masque had Black Panther in her clutches :oops:?

Were Hawkeye's shades so important, so iconic, so essential to his look that Shuri had to go to the trouble of making him digital versions of them with Wakandan tech and have Black Panther act like they were some "big loss?" Seriously :mad:?

The series ending on Black Panther rejoining the Avengers was a positive note, although Hawkeye had to throw in a jibe that they may "never be friends again," even though frankly they never really seemed like friends to begin with this season. Just seems like more pettiness on both sides, even if it seems like things might be headed towards a more positive direction between the two :shrug:.

Frontier

Staff member
I actually liked that moment too although I forgot to mention it in my review. But I didn't know it was a previously established thing from the comics.
I know during Brubaker's run Crossbones was definitely pretty loyal to Red Skull (and definitely to his daughter).

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
So...it's kinda weird reviewing this one. In the context of the season, it feels more like a "traditional" Assemble episode than the rest of the season (probably intentional), and because of that, it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb.

But as a series finale, it makes sense to do an episode about the Avengers as a team, as opposed to just Black Panther (though as others have mentioned, it was jarring not having Hulk).

Ultimately, despite good intentions, the finale was nothing special, which is too bad. At the very least, Black Panther returning to the Avengers wraps the season in a nice bow.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
After they closed off the Killmonger storyline, I give them credit for closing off the final loose end of the season with this episode. I really haven't understood Hawkeye this season. They made him so unlikable but it was at least nice that everything ended on a decent note. Who would have imagined Madame Masque being the final villain?

It looks like this is the end of the road and this is now Marvel's longest running animated series. I can't say that I'll miss it but after a terrible start, there were some good times to be had. When I saw the Avengers together at the end, I was really liking the roster but I think I would have preferred a season that made better use of all of them. I think there could have been a really good Panther story arc but it didn't really have to span the entire season.

Loverofcomix

Of all the deaths in this season, Erik Killmonger might suffer a slow painful one. Given how angry Attuma's daughter was, he is going to suffer horribly. Heck, he may even be dead right now. :oops:

This Iron Man seems like a totally different person from the one in season 1-4. Can you picture Adrian Pasdar's Tony Stark calling someone "buddy" and "pal"? :sad:

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
This Iron Man seems like a totally different person from the one in season 1-4. Can you picture Adrian Pasdar's Tony Stark calling someone "buddy" and "pal"? :sad:
Actually, I think Pasdar's Tony called Cap "buddy" and "pal" a few times (could be wrong though) :p

I was more distracted by how quickly this Tony came around to Black Panther after all those episodes of conflict, but I guess Clint needed to hold the conflict ball :sweat:.

Roxas_Sora

Just two comments about the episode:

1º) The whole mechanic tentacles of Madame Masque, it's just me or did you see a new and improved version of Doctor Octopus?

2º) OK, just what the shell happened to Thor? The last time we saw him in this season, he still had Mjolnir and two eyes. Why in blazes did they changed him just like that without explanation? It's so difficult to keep a little respect for continuity?

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I don't think he lost his eye. It seemed as though he just hurt it from what he said. I don't know why they just waited until this episode but it did seem like they're having some fun with Ragnarok references, like the lightning jump.

It felt as though we did see classic Doc Ock tentacles sometime in the episode.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Loverofcomix

Did Bask kill her brother after destroying the atlantian village? Are we to assume Bashenga had already got married and created a son before he turned to dust? Kinda wish we saw the rest of that story. Like, how did she end up in that crown?

Frontier

Staff member
Did Bask kill her brother after destroying the atlantian village? Are we to assume Bashenga had already got married and created a son before he turned to dust? Kinda wish we saw the rest of that story. Like, how did she end up in that crown?
Yeah, I did think they were kind of vague as to exactly what happened to Bashenga after Bask lost it, but I imagine he probably had to defeat her and seal her into the crown before T'Challa freed her :ack:.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I wonder what it was that made Panther's Quest the show that ran all the way through from start to finish, and not have a break halfway through that felt like a season break as well.

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder what it was that made Panther's Quest the show that ran all the way through from start to finish, and not have a break halfway through that felt like a season break as well.

I wonder if it was a production thing. It seemed like they were still in the middle of production for Marvel's Spider-Man and Guardians by the time the shows were on their hiatus, while Panther's Quest finished early?

The smaller episode count might have helped as well.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts