"Marvel Animation on Hulu" General News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
Well, I certainly didn’t see these cartoons coming. And they’re not even being produced by Marvel Animation. Is preproduction of cartoons actually being done in Marvel Television now?
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if Marvel Animation is becoming defunct and just folding into Marvel Television :ack:.

Wasn't Marvel Television confirmed to be involved with the production of Moon Girl? I feel like it was :confused:.

The only issue I see is that it puts them under Jeph Loeb's purview again :eek:.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Howard the Duck is what I'm most excited to see. I'm glad that Marvel is finally doing something with him. His cameo in GotG felt like a sign of things to come, and after that disastrous 80s movie, he deserves a more proper adaptation.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
And guess what all those shows have in common?

They are all outsourced
Well at least they have a chance to be good, I don't know how I feel about Marvel making adult comedies but this could be interesting

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Well at least they have a chance to be good, I don't know how I feel about Marvel making adult comedies but this could be interesting

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with that considering this isn't the first "adult" projects connected to Marvel. Granted we never had as of yet any R MCU related films but a lot of the actual flicks within the cinematic universe despite appeasing to general audiences do have adult level jokes and themes in them. IMHO stuff like say Ant Man and the Wasp are more kids film but the Guardians of the Galaxy flicks or Black Panther or Infinity War though kids can watch them I'd edge into more adult entertainment. Just you know approachable for kids. And then we had the Netflix shows which were obviously aimed at adults. And yeah they were still meant to tie into the MCU but you know with Disney now having their own streaming service there is now the disconnect that led to those series being cancelled but clear there themes and identities were still tied to general Marvel and this here is another variation of that.

And again it's just nice to see more general adult animation being made. Yeah it's more comedy fare and on streaming but it's still not something you typically see especially from a major studio like this so I'm all on board with that idea.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Some comments from Patton Oswalt and Jordan Blum about their take on M.O.D.O.K..
When it came to getting to write for “Marvel’s M.O.D.O.K.,” Patton Oswalt said, “I could not be more excited for you guys to see what we do with M.O.D.O.K. He’s the character I was, sadly, born to play.”
Said Jordan Blum, regarding bringing the character into animation for the upcoming Hulu series, "Who is M.O.D.O.K. to me? Well, you have to start at his creation. I find M.O.D.O.K. to be just as iconic as all the other classic Jack Kirby / Stan Lee collaborations. Kirby’s design is the stuff of nightmares yet he’s also somehow… slightly adorable? Stan Lee wrote him as this amazing flawed character, always being undone by his inflated ego and thin skin. Over the years he’s been portrayed as both a menace and a joke and I think our show is much more interested in exploring him as a human being. A human being who’s also a Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing! At the end of the day M.O.D.O.K. is a giant-headed, petulant, insecure, egomaniac with zero social skills. And I for one find that incredibly relatable."

SweetShop209

I wish they actually took a chance on a next Young Justice and weren't automatically doing four comedy series that were supposed to connect like the Netflix Defenders.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Trying to copy Young Justice could be seen as a double edged sword, where you could end up with something genuinely mature and thought compelling, or essentially end up falling into darkness induced audience apathy, as tv tropes mentions by following it in a more shallow way.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
Well, I agree about the whole DC's Harley Quinn competition, but given Marvel Television's name on the shows, it makes me hope they'll tie in with the MCU. Even though fans keep denying it, Marvel knows everything is connected.
It's not. It's gonna be it's own thing. Just like Spider-Man PS4. Plus there's no way the MCU would promote a R rated talking duck that speaks like Carl from ATHF.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Trying to copy Young Justice could be seen as a double edged sword, where you could end up with something genuinely mature and thought compelling, or essentially end up falling into darkness induced audience apathy, as tv tropes mentions by following it in a more shallow way.

Every thing they do is a risk. For the last seven years, most of their animated product has been heavily comedic and aimed at kids. Now they've greenlit heavily comedic shows aimed at adults. I don't see something that is not overly comedic, while also handled in a mature enough fashion that it might teen and adult viewers, as being an insane risk in comparison.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brodie999

Not sure if they can put Dazzler in a MCU show yet.
Well, CBR said the first signs of the Disney/Fox deal are starting to show with Tigra and Dazzler being the first Marvel show between a X-Men character and a Marvel hero not owned by any company. So many people are wondering if Dazzler might be the first mutant to cross over with the MCU if the animated shows are set in the same universe as the Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, the Defenders, Inhumans, Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Runaways and Cloak & Dagger.

Frontier

Staff member
Moon Girl is supposed to be worked on by Titmouse. I don’t know where these other shows are going to be outsourced to (ya know, aside from the actual animation).
And the art styles all look to be different from the teaser art, so I'm wondering if it's even all going to come out of one animation studio...

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's not much, but here are some comments from Josh Gordon and Will Speck about Hit-Monkey.

Gordon and Speck are very excited to be working on the upcoming Hulu series, with Gordon saying, “We first read HIT-MONKEY about eight years ago, not long after it was published, and we were immediate fans. To us it’s one of the best origin stories for any Marvel character ever.“
Said Speck, “When we met with Jeph and everyone at Marvel, we could tell right away that they just wanted to make something that swung for the fences. That’s all you’re looking for, partners who want to make the weirdest stuff possible.”

I imagine we'll get initial comments like these for the other shows as well, over the next few days.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts