C&C - Dragon Ball Super - "The Evil Emperor Returns! A Reception From Mysterious Assassins?!" [1/19]

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Still can't see Frieza with a halo.

Fist-in-chest must be going around.

Exactly half of this squad are ex-villains. Wonders never cease.

"Who was it?"
"He couldn't say."

Nobodyman

Hey Bulldog!

Frieza don't take no guff.

Yeah, your golden form. We've seen it before, Frieza.

DBTrilogy100

Frieza's return to the Mortal Realm occurs in tonight's episode. The episode starts with Goku having a meal at Capsule Corporation while others ask him about his talk with Frieza; Bulma & Shin pick up on Goku leaving out certain details and get him to admit that he promised to use the Dragon Balls to bring Frieza to life if they win the Tournament of Power. While some give Goku a hard time about this promise, Whis points out that Frieza being brought back to life is not as severe of a problem compared to their universe being erased from existence. Goku also assures everyone that they will beat Frieza again if he does try to pull a fast one on them; we also see that a drawing of Frieza has taking the place of Buu's picture on the board for the Universe 7 Team fighters.

Elsewhere, Quitela has telepathically contacted Universe 9's Destroyer (whose name is revealed to be "Sidra") and tells him a lie that Universe 7 will go after Universe 9 first in the tournament; Quitela also tells Sidra about Frieza and suggests sending assassins (so that they aren't directly linked) to eliminate Frieza and get Universe 7 disqualified before the tournament even begins. In Universe 7, Trunks sees the board of pictures for the Universe 7 Team Roster and Goku suggests to Bulma that Trunks (and Goten) not be told about the tournament; Bulma lies to Trunks that the Universe 7 Team are guests coming to celebrate Bulla's birth; Vegeta also lies about Frieza redeeming himself and is angered that he is pretending to like his former boss. Goku tells Trunks about the island Android 17 protects and convinces Trunks to tell Goten about it so that the two boys will watch the island for Android 17; Vegeta & Bulma figure out that Goku convinced Android 17 to join the tournament by promising Goten & Trunks would watch the island and Goku assures them that the boys will be able to handle protecting the island. Goku asks Krillin to bring the boys to Android 17's island since Goku has to pick up Frieza at Baba's palace and Krillin agrees to go with Android 18 after some initial hesitance due to thinking Android 17 doesn't like him (remember Android 18's change in behavior helps convince him too); Goku also asks if Bulma knows of a present to give to Baba and Bulma agrees to help (while also calling Baba greedy). Master Roshi is practicing the Lightning Flash Surprise Attack on Yajirobe at Korin's Tower and Roshi admits that nostalgia of his time training with Korin is why he chose the tower to be the location of his last minute training.

On the Planet of the Kai's in Universe 9, Sidra tells Universe 9's Supreme Kai (whose name is revealed to be "Ro") about Frieza and the latter looks Frieza up on GodTube; Ro agrees with the idea to send assassins to eliminate Frieza and disqualify the Universe 7 Team before the Tournament of Power even begins. In Universe 7, Goku returns to Baba's palace and gives Baba the gift Bulma provided (which is a regift); a humanoid bulldog and many masked figures hover over Baba's palace while Baba goes to get Frieza. Krillin, Android 18, Marron, Goten & Trunks arrive at Android 17's island and Goten & Trunks explore the island while the others exchange greetings (Krillin, in particular, awkwardly tries to maintain conversation); Android 17 greets his niece and mispronounces her name by mistake...which Android 18 is quick to correct with a threat on his life if it happens again (Android 17 takes it in stride). Marron decides to stay with Goten & Trunks, which is fine with Android 18, who comments that Marron is tougher than she looks. The (human) poachers see Android 17 leave with Krillin & Android 18 and one of them thinks they will be able to handle the kids easily...although another poacher points out that the kids don't seem to be ordinary kids. Krillin, Android 17 & Android 18 arrive at Capsule Corporation and Piccolo & Android 17 ask if the other has gotten stronger since they last met...they also shake hands and say it is good to work together; Master Roshi also arrives at Capsule Corporation, not too long afterwards.

Goku trains a bit at Baba's Palace (in a way that bring his fight with Grandpa Gohan in DB to mind) and sees Baba return with Frieza...who hates that he has a halo; Frieza greets Goku with a punch (claiming his "fist slipped") and Goku returns the favor. Before Goku can use Instant Transmission, Baba's ghost assistant says that a group are outside the palace demanding to see Goku & Frieza; Goku pieces together that the humanoid bulldog and many masked figures are assassins trying to stop them from joining the tournament but the humanoid bulldog only responds with "We can't say". Frieza shoots a Death Beam at the humanoid bulldog's shoulder and sends him falling into the water; Goku insists that they don't have time to deal with the assassins but Frieza insists on warming up and claiming that it won't take too long. The episode ends with the Tournament of Power arena continuing to be built in the Null Realm and Frieza transforming into his Ultimate Form/Golden Form.

It was cool seeing the Android Twins interacting again after DBZ's Cell Saga and I'm glad Meredith McCoy is voicing Android 18 again, I feel she has better chemistry with Chuck Huber's Android 17 and Sonny Strait's Krillin compared to Colleen Clinkenbeard's Android 18. Piccolo & Android 17's respectful reunion and mutual honor at working together was pretty heart warming too. Quitela continues to prove himself to be least likable of the Destroyers by trying to sabotage Universe 7 and by also tricking Sidra & Ro to do his dirty work. Roshi training at Korin's Tower was a nice nod to the fact that Korin was also a mentor to Roshi and I also liked the reference to Goku's fight with Grandpa Gohan. Seeing Frieza's name spelled as "Freeza" on his drawing does remind me of how some fans get really up in arms over how the character's name is spelled in different translations and reminds me of some of my grievances with Kanzenshuu and Team Four Star's "Fry-Za" joke; complaining about using the "Frieza" spelling instead of the "Freeza" spelling is like complaining about using the "gray" spelling rather than the "grey" spelling. Frieza's transformation sequence into his Ultimate Form/Golden Form was pretty cool and it will be interesting to see how they take care of the assassins before the tournament starts.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Loved 18's deadpan, 'say her name right or you die' then the proceeding 'this is going to awkward isn't it?' :D

Radical

Banned
Episode 94 was sweet,

Quitela to use/trick Sidra and Roh on assassinating Frieza was a great dirty evil plan, but the plan will fail which Frieza is needed.

Krillin/Android #18 reuniting with Android #17 on dropping off Goten, Trunks, and Marron was sweet, Android #18 being scary/threatening was funny, but Android #17 is more stronger than her, hehehe, and cool seeing Androids #17/#18 interacting again.I hope for Maron to return for her/Android #18 to meet which will be funny, hehehe:D.Meredith McCoy awesome voice actress ever.

The "Marron tougher than she looks" comment is interesting, Marron the best, and Goten/Trunks will easily crush the annoying human poachers.

The Goku vs. Grandpa Gohan reference was sweet.

Master Roshi training in Korin Tower and his chemistry with Korin was great:D, and nice foreshadowing from Master Roshi.

Goku and Frieza meeting and gut punching each other was great/funny, their hands slipped, hehehe:p.

The alien bulldog assassin leader and the assassins, my favorite great minor villains, and cool to see an anime bulldog villain.

Goku/Frieza vs. the assassins begin, great cliffhanger.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Loved 18's deadpan, 'say her name right or you die' then the proceeding 'this is going to awkward isn't it?' :D

Ha ha, yeah. Even now that they're no longer villains, they're still androids at the end of the day. Emotions still don't come easy. And if the 17/18 and 17/Piccolo reunions were awkward, one can imagine what could potentially transpire with Frieza...

Nobodyman

Ha ha, yeah. Even now that they're no longer villains, they're still androids at the end of the day. Emotions still don't come easy.
Well, remember androids is kind of misnomer since they were originally humans that were modified by Dr. Gero. It would be more (though not entirely) accurate to call them cyborgs.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Well, remember androids is kind of misnomer since they were originally humans that were modified by Dr. Gero. It would be more (though not entirely) accurate to call them cyborgs.

That's true, I guess I'm just used to android since that's what the dub uses (apparently the Japanese version uses a word that's closer to cyborg, interestingly).

DBTrilogy100

Nobodyman said:

Gold Guy said:
That's true, I guess I'm just used to android since that's what the dub uses (apparently the Japanese version uses a word that's closer to cyborg, interestingly).

The term used in the sub is "jinzo ningen" and "android" is a valid translation for that. The more literal translation is "artificial human" which is just as much a misnomer as "android" is; although "cyborg" would be a misnomer for 16 & 19. Gero, himself, is a weird case since he is a brain in a jar in a robot body. The franchise treats android/artificial human/jinzo ningen as an "umbrella term" to keep the numbering system consistent.

For what it's worth, 17 & 18 have commented a few times (dub & sub) that they don't consider themselves to be humans anymore after Gero modified them.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts