The World of UPA

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Andrew Saladino made an amazing three-part documentary on the life of UPA. Part 1 explores the seeds that led to the company's foundation and the hardships they had to deal with. Part 2 shows the many ways UPA was so different and experimental from every other studio at the time, and the different contributions each animator brought to their films. Finally, part 3 shows how a changing political landscape and the emergence of television left UPA creatively bankrupt, essentially strangling them to their dying breath, although their legacy and influence would be felt decades after they'd shuttered.

Frank98

Keep moving forward
It's a good series. Pretty informative. I wish more time could be spent analyzing the aesthetic qualities of these films. But I guess I can't complain.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I wish more time could be spent analyzing the aesthetic qualities of these films. But I guess I can't complain.

Isn't that essentially what part 2 does? Or are you referring to something else?

Frank98

Keep moving forward
Yes, it does. In part. I just wish it could say more. Explain how the designs and colors work and influence the story and the mood. But maybe I'm just asking too much.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts