"Young Justice: Outsiders" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this season

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Feeling the aster

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreyfus

I definitely noticed. Not just face models seeming off, but less fluidity to the animation too.

ShadowStar

I disagree with the complaints about the animation, at least as far as these first three episodes are concerned. They definitely looked as though they were on par with season 2. We'll probably never quite see the same standard that was set back in "Independence Day" and "Fireworks" (clearly a lot of money was thrown at those episodes) but these episodes were still gorgeous - and definitely better looking than the likes of "Failsafe", "Usual Suspects" and "Endgame".

Marvelman02

Okay, here are my thoughts on the first three episodes:

Overall, I thought is was a great start to what I hope will be a great season. I am concerned that Greg and Brandon are going to be too enraptured with the vast canvas with which they have to play to pay attention to the little things. Superboy is not my favorite character, but after "Schooled" I empathized with him and felt invested in his story. Hopefully, future episodes will do the same for the season three cast.

Odds and ends...

I hate Stargirl's mole, and I'm not crazy about the changes made to her character. To me, Courtney is an adorable brat who dons Sylvester Pembleton's cosmic converter belt to piss off her step-dad - not some teen talk show host.

Black Lightning sometimes sounds too much like Kaldur. Maybe it wasn't such a great idea to have Khary Peyton play both characters?

Somebody mentioned that the animation didn't seems to be quite on the same level as seasons one and two. Did anybody else notice this?

Somebody mentioned the Masters of Disaster. It wouldn't surprise me if both the Masters and the Force of July showed up by the seasons end.

Something else has been on my mind... the League must know by now they have an enemy on Apokolips. How much does the team and the League know about Apokolips and its ruler? Did the Forever People ever think to tell the team, "BTW, there's this Darkseid dude on Apokolips, and he is really bad news"?

I disagree with the complaints about the animation, at least as far as these first three episodes are concerned. They definitely looked as though they were on par with season 2. We'll probably never quite see the same standard that was set back in "Independence Day" and "Fireworks" (clearly a lot of money was thrown at those episodes) but these episodes were still gorgeous - and definitely better looking than the likes of "Failsafe", "Usual Suspects" and "Endgame".

Yeah, I agree. Maybe I will change my mind by the end of the season but the animation looked fine to me.

Last edited:

Dreyfus

I'm no animation expert, but I always thought that Targets had the best fight scene in terms of fluidity of motion.

My instinct tells me that Darkseid has not made his presence known yet, otherwise seeing Parademons attacking Rann would have been a bigger deal I think.

Frontier

Staff member
I hate Stargirl's mole, and I'm not crazy about the changes made to her character. To me, Courtney is that adorable brat who dons Sylvester Pembleton's cosmic converter belt to piss off her step-dad - not some teen talk show host.
Yeah, I wasn't too crazy about their take on Courtney either :(.
Black Lightning sometimes sounds too much like Kaldur. Maybe it wasn't such a great idea to have Khary Peyton play both characters?
I thought Payton did a good job of differentiating between the two voices, but sometimes there's only so much you can do when you have so many VA's doubling-up as major characters (assuming she gets any lines, I'm curious how Mae Whitman will differentiate Spoiler from Wonder Girl).

I do find it amusing that Kaldur's gotten "bumped up" but we still have a Khary Payton-voiced character in a lead role. Considering what they're going to be doing with Jason Spisak, it seems like no matter what happens to the OG!Team they'll keep the VA's active on the show in some form ;).
Somebody mentioned that the animation didn't seems to be quite on the same level as seasons one and two. Did anybody else notice this?
There has definitely been a bit of a shift in the animation style, and it seemed pretty rough at the beginning, but I think it improved over the course of the three episodes :).
Something else has been on my mind... the League must know by now they have an enemy on Apokolips. How much does the team and the League know about Apokolips and its ruler? Did the Forever People ever think to tell the team, "BTW, there's this Darkseid dude on Apokolips, and he is really bad news"?
I'm curious if they have any idea what the Parademons are :ack:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It comes down to director and the storyboard artists and the animation studio and which team animates the episode, imo. The 1st was DR Movie and the 2nd and 3rd were Digital eMation. The episodes done by the former tends to be better than the latter. Under a microscope, I've noticed eMation's stuff over various animated series isn't as polished as DR. And if I remember right, Christopher Berkeley directed Targets and he was one of the two for these first 3 episodes (along with Mel Zwyer), both returning directors.

I imagine they still might not know who Darkseid is but maybe once Forager joins the fold, he starts to help fill in the holes about what they don't yet know about New Genesis and Apokolips.

As for Halo, I wonder if they're giving this version on the show an actual Quarci backstory or if that's subterfuge for a reveal more akin to the comics version. Not that I know much Quarcis from the comics but I wonder if they'll merge characters like Chanda Madan or Sanjeet Bhatia or just create a new name entirely. It just dawned on me she's like Secret but with a slightly bigger vocabulary.

Last edited:

Marvelman02

Grace Randolph said she found Halo annoying. I didn't. (Does anybody else feel this way?) I suspect she is not a meta-human in the conventional sense of the word. That is, I don't think her powers come from having a meta-gene. I found it odd and too convenient for Artemis to call her "halo-girl" right off the bat. I don't think Artemis would use an uncommon word like "halo." I think "glow-girl" would have sounded more natural.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Grace Randolph said she found Halo annoying. I didn't. (Does anybody else feel this way?) I suspect she is not a meta-human in the conventional sense of the word. That is, I don't think her powers come from having a meta-gene. I found it odd and too convenient for Artemis to call her "halo-girl" right off the bat. I don't think Artemis would use an uncommon word like "halo." I think "glow-girl" would have sounded more natural.
Yeah, a bit of a stretch to assume Artemis was Christian where "halo" was a certain meaning and that's what she was thinking. Or maybe there's something similar in Vietnamese culture she came across in college.

Now that I think on it...the Masters of Disaster had elemental powers, so I wonder if this will be where Terra ends up :ack:?
I'm bracing myself for her being with Deathstroke and/or possibly adapting the relationship from Judas Contract, they danced around it with the DTV. But considering the timeframe, I wonder if Terra is Patient Zero - the first successful test of Tar. If she appears this season, imo, it's got to be a horrifying reveal to Brion, to the point he has to admit to himself that the Terra he knew died two years ago and there was never a shot at rescuing her, and what's before him is just a shell.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Well just watched the first 3 episodes and oh my are they taking full advantage on the fact they are airing this on a streaming site. They especially turned up the gore and fatalities rates up a notch and you know this isn't going to air on Cartoon Network. Three episodes in and I while I do enjoy the new season I still have some gripes. Its going through the season 2 problem of introducing a crap ton of characters and not giving us time to enjoy the characters we come to know, I'm especially disappointed we didn't get more Runaways and Impulse/Beetle. I'm really glad the posters gave us the new team in costumes because if I had to watch them in stealth suits for the rest of the season I would vomit. Still a pretty good set of episodes and I can't wait to see more.

Also can I say how nice it is how Prince Gregor isn't a moron and actually correctly deduce that his uncle was apart of the metahuman experimentation longer than his brother because he was better at using his powers. Then again its possible that he could turn out to be working for the Light

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I thought I came up with a crazy theory but it looks like at least one other person online has already, lol. Anyway. What if the "soul" or AI of the disassembled Mother Box that Superboy found in the Bedlam Syndicate's lab took over the dead Quarci girl's body? She speaks in short sentences. Mother Boxes... Ping ping. One of the auras she showed was a purple one that could heal someone if they were still alive. And in "Princes All," a Father Box is used to heal a Parademon with a purple light.

Marvelman02

I thought I came up with a crazy theory but it looks like at least one other person online has already, lol. Anyway. What if the "soul" or AI of the disassembled Mother Box that Superboy found in the Bedlam Syndicate's lab took over the dead Quarci girl's body? She speaks in short sentences. Mother Boxes... Ping ping. One of the auras she showed was a purple one that could heal someone if they were still alive. And in "Princes All," a Father Box is used to heal a Parademon with a purple light.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Halo had a healing aura in comics, did she? If not, I actually like this change.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I thought this was a pretty great way to start the new Season. The time-skip wasn't that big this time, but it seems a lot of stuff has happened in the meantime anyway. Hope they will address some of these changes in the future, but they also set up a lot of possible story-lines in these first 3 episodes alone. I can only presume it will all pay off in the end.

Some random comments-

Batman quitting the Justice League was kind of in-line with the Outsiders comics but I didn't expect it to happen from the premiere. It was kind of interesting seeing who else joined him, and I guess the consequences of this action will be brought up later on. For example, Green Arrow and Black Canary's relationship. It was also kind of both amusing and sad at the same time seeing Robin and Wonder Girl break up after we only saw them being a couple for a few moments in the Season 2 finale.

I didn't think Artemis was having a relationship or whatever with Roy Will. I admit I didn't recognize him at first, until his name(s) were mentioned, but I imagined they were just living together and nothing more. But I could see how others could get that impression, given after that we see Conner and M'gann living together and planning on getting married, or Jeff visiting his ex-wife and his daughters.

The Markovia Mission was pretty entertaining. Geo-Force's origin, his exile from the kingdom, the assassination of his parents (one of the more gruesome elements they can get away with now on the show I suppose...) and the tease of Tara already being kidnapped a long time ago. The DeLamb/Baron Bedlam plot was good. I don't know if we've seen the last of it, but it was a pretty satisfying ending for now. And it's only the beginning for Brion.

I liked how they introduced Halo, I admit I don't know a whole lot about her from the comics, but I liked her here and her interactions with Artemis. Likewise, some more horror stuff with her coming back from the dead (twice).

It's cool how they used Count Vertigo again, and re-invented Doctor Double X or Plasmus for this continuity. The former reminds me of how they also portrayed other sort of ridiculous characters from the comics in past episodes, like Mister Twister or even Sportsmaster. Plasmus on the other hand got pretty tragic stories here.

There were a lot of neat surprises here - Kaldur is now Aquaman and leader of the Justice eague, Donna Troy finally making an appearance, the Parademons attack, making Green Lantern Black Lightning's ex-brother-in-law, etc.

Overall, I enjoyed these first 3 episodes and I'm looking forward to the rest. Should be fun.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm bracing myself for her being with Deathstroke and/or possibly adapting the relationship from Judas Contract, they danced around it with the DTV. But considering the timeframe, I wonder if Terra is Patient Zero - the first successful test of Tar. If she appears this season, imo, it's got to be a horrifying reveal to Brion, to the point he has to admit to himself that the Terra he knew died two years ago and there was never a shot at rescuing her, and what's before him is just a shell.
I think after being exiled, finding his sister is going to be one of Brion's main character arcs. I also don't expect it to end well :ack:.
Batman quitting the Justice League was kind of in-line with the Outsiders comics but I didn't expect it to happen from the premiere. It was kind of interesting seeing who else joined him, and I guess the consequences of this action will be brought up later on. For example, Green Arrow and Black Canary's relationship. It was also kind of both amusing and sad at the same time seeing Robin and Wonder Girl break up after we only saw them being a couple for a few moments in the Season 2 finale.
One consequence I can definitely see is leaving the League even more undermanned on Earth. I wonder if we'll see them use the Team more or start another recruitment drive to make up for the members Batman took with him :confused:?
It's cool how they used Count Vertigo again, and re-invented Doctor Double X or Plasmus for this continuity. The former reminds me of how they also portrayed other sort of ridiculous characters from the comics in past episodes, like Mister Twister or even Sportsmaster. Plasmus on the other hand got pretty tragic stories here.
I can't believe the show made me feel bad for Plasmus and Tar :(.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Halo had a healing aura in comics, did she? If not, I actually like this change.
I don't think so. ROYGBIV.

I liked how they introduced Halo, I admit I don't know a whole lot about her from the comics, but I liked her here and her interactions with Artemis. Likewise, some more horror stuff with her coming back from the dead (twice).
I think she's poised to be the 'new Kaldur' - a new character taking up the codename of an existing character with some similarities, some new things, and hopefully winning the fans over.

I'd like to see them try it with Zebra Man. :p

I think after being exiled, finding his sister is going to be one of Brion's main character arcs. I also don't expect it to end well :ack:.
I think the most soul crushing thing I can think of is Brion is powerless to stop Terra, ordered through the neck implant or not, from destroying Markovia with her powers. That's like the ultimate failure, he couldn't save his sister and he couldn't save his country.

One consequence I can definitely see is leaving the League even more undermanned on Earth. I wonder if we'll see them use the Team more or start another recruitment drive to make up for the members Batman took with him :confused:?
There's still a lot to unpack with them like who's still active from last season's roster, how many are in space vs. how many on Earth, just what kind and how many of missions do they actually execute on Earth and even a little with the Team - how many total members were there - Beast Boy seems part time at best, are Nightwing and Tigress going to return to active duty/stick their their ops/join Batman? etc.

Frontier

Staff member
There's still a lot to unpack with them like who's still active from last season's roster, how many are in space vs. how many on Earth, just what kind and how many of missions do they actually execute on Earth and even a little with the Team - how many total members were there - Beast Boy seems part time at best, are Nightwing and Tigress going to return to active duty/stick their their ops/join Batman? etc.
At the very least I think it's reasonable to assume that any space-affiliated League members (Superman, Martian Manhunter, The Hawks, Icon, the GL's) are on the space teams, on-top of who we saw on Rann (Black Lightning being the obvious exception because of what happened to him).

I actually wonder if we might get more of the GL Corps. as we see the heroes' efforts to thwart all these Apokolips invasions, since they're very likely to be the vanguard in trying to contain all this.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
At the very least I think it's reasonable to assume that any space-affiliated League members (Superman, Martian Manhunter, The Hawks, Icon, the GL's) are on the space teams, on-top of who we saw on Rann (Black Lightning being the obvious exception because of what happened to him).

I actually wonder if we might get more of the GL Corps. as we see the heroes' efforts to thwart all these Apokolips invasions, since they're very likely to be the vanguard in trying to contain all this.
I was curious why the Atom was absent from the meeting. I'm skeptical he'd be on a space op but then again he'd be useful with sabotaging enemy ships. Or we're in Sword of the Atom territory.

I agree, it'd be odd if we don't finally see the GLC Corps. Unless they've got some bureaucratic issues, too.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
In regards to Beast Boy, I didn't really mind the voice actor change. Greg Cipes is probably the name I associate the most with the character anyway. The timing seems pretty funny to me, seeing him in a Star Trek-like uniform after the recent Teen Titans Go! episode "How's This For a Special? Spaaaace".

I do wonder how much he is associated with the Justice League now. He seems to have a different career, and life. I was kind of surprised he's having a relationship with Queen Perdita. Also, the implication they meet at the funeral of one of their best friends. But I like how he's starting a campaign against metahuman trafficking. He could work well in contrast to G. Gordon Godfrey.

I'd like to see them try it with Zebra Man. :p
I want to see Kite Man, myself. I'd like to think they're borrowing from The Brave and the Bold and have already set up a big story-arc for him with Plastic Man's introduction. :p

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
In regards to Beast Boy, I didn't really mind the voice actor change. Greg Cipes is probably the name I associate the most with the character anyway. The timing seems pretty funny to me, seeing him in a Star Trek-like uniform after the recent Teen Titans Go! episode "How's This For a Special? Spaaaace".
Good point! Also smart move to update the Space Trek title from the comics from "2020" to "3016" since the former isn't 'futuristic' anymore. lol. And the nods to the 9/11 slogan and NBC's the more you know was hilarious.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I presume "3016" is a nod to this being Season 3, and well the Earth-16 Easter eggs they keep squeezing in. I missed this one, honestly. I think I only caught Brion and Gregor being born 16 minutes apart, but there's bound to be more in these episodes.

And the "Goode World Studios" logo is a nod to both WB and the CW. Not too subtle, but I think it's all in good fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts