"Freeform (Formerly ABC Family)" Network Talkback (Spoilers)

lowell

I think Freeform will be fully free in 2019 or after that once they can try to get the 700 Club out of contract and get all the religious stuff to move. I'm guessing either the FOX broadcast network or FOX News and Business pick it up or New Fox makes it into a channel since the Murdochs does have Disney stock, they can help persuade the 700 Club people to a more conservative-friendly platform and give them a FOX Religious cable network if they want to. Plus, the new chairman of ABC, Dana Walden, who previously ran the FOX broadcast network, is going to in charge of Freeform alongside the two ABC & 20th Century Fox TV studios, ABC-owned TV stations, and ABC itself so she can help in possibly ejecting the 700 Club somehow. I think Disney plans for all of their cable networks to eventually not have paid programming ads but run 24 hours with programs continuing to run like Viacom and Turner Networks.

JTOONSAnimation

I think Freeform will be fully free in 2019 or after that once they can try to get the 700 Club out of contract and get all the religious stuff to move. I'm guessing either the FOX broadcast network or FOX News and Business pick it up or New Fox makes it into a channel since the Murdochs does have Disney stock, they can help persuade the 700 Club people to a more conservative-friendly platform and give them a FOX Religious cable network if they want to. Plus, the new chairman of ABC, Dana Walden, who previously ran the FOX broadcast network, is going to in charge of Freeform alongside the two ABC & 20th Century Fox TV studios, ABC-owned TV stations, and ABC itself so she can help in possibly ejecting the 700 Club somehow. I think Disney plans for all of their cable networks to eventually not have paid programming ads but run 24 hours with programs continuing to run like Viacom and Turner Networks.

I doubt it, The 700 Club makes good money in their time slot. The only way the show will leave the network is if Pat Robertson says so, and throughout the different name changes and management throughout the channels' history, he still committed to staying on the network, no matter what it becomes. All Disney can do is schedule the program at a "proper" timeslot, it's all in the contracts. Freeform doesn't even get to see the show early, they see it at the same time as everyone else does.

lowell

I doubt it, The 700 Club makes good money in their time slot. The only way the show will leave the network is if Pat Robertson says so, and throughout the different name changes and management throughout the channels' history, he still committed to staying on the network, no matter what it becomes. All Disney can do is schedule the program at a "proper" timeslot, it's all in the contracts. Freeform doesn't even get to see the show early, they see it at the same time as everyone else does.
Rupert Murdoch was the one who originally bought it from the 700 Club owner so he could help move him out of Freeform and give him his own channel at New Fox which will mostly be conservative news and sports, all they're missing is conservative religious programs because that's their target audience. I wouldn't be surprised if the 700 Club is desiring to join Fox Nation eventually or streaming in general but they can't afford the risks of forming their own service. Plus, it's not only Freeform that the 700 Club is featured on, but they're also on TBN which is the perfect home for them. I wouldn't be surprised if being on Freeform has recently become more losses or just made minimal profit for them. They could technically jump out of Freeform and make their own cable channel for the second time (Freeform is the original channel) because they're loaded with cash from all over the years. They own a private religious research university anyway.

LinusFan303

Squeak
They've offered buyouts Mr.Pat isn't moving. 700 clubs airs on lot of stations , many local commercial stations air it as well. Fox doesn't care about Freeform having Robertson's show or not they didn't buy the channel and Mary Tyler Moore Studios back then because they wanted the 700 club , they don't have any interest in it.

lowell

They've offered buyouts Mr.Pat isn't moving. 700 clubs airs on lot of stations , many local commercial stations air it as well. Fox doesn't care about Freeform having Robertson's show or not they didn't buy the channel and Mary Tyler Moore Studios back then because they wanted the 700 club , they don't have any interest in it.
New Fox is going to be more different because basically they're trying to monetize as much conservatism and anything related to the President or the Republican Party as possible so you never know what moves they could add to kick up the profits. Maybe religion from the 700 Club will increase their viewership. They originally bought the channel because they were then an entertainment company. New Fox is a conservative media, sports, and broadcasting company.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Oh, that broadcast of "Doc McStuffins" that was planned was pulled today and replaced with Toy Story of Terror, guess they got nervous and changed their minds.

Dillon Arias

So here’s something that’s weird

Shrek just came on Freeform and in the beginning I saw the Universal Pictures Logo, I mean I know Universal now owns Dreamworks but I still kinda find it weird they added it on a old movie like Shrek.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
So here’s something that’s weird

Shrek just came on Freeform and in the beginning I saw the Universal Pictures Logo, I mean I know Universal now owns Dreamworks but I still kinda find it weird they added it on a old movie like Shrek.
A similar thing happened on Trolls on FX, but the logo replaced 20th Century Fox's.

LinusFan303

Squeak
I noticed that scheduled for Freeform something they've not aired before to my knowledge but the American Tail movies are going to be airing on Freeform .

12AM ET (1/22) or the overnight of monday the 21st : American Tail , the next day same time "Fivel Goes West, and on the 24th (overnight 23rd) "The Mystery of the Night Monster".

Un related : Since it's January Freeform loses it's 9AM weekday half hour for Pat Robertston stuff for a couple weeks starting tomorrow 1/14. If they stay on pattern the Last Sunday of this month they air the CBN telethon pretty much all that Sunday. (It's usually the Sunday before the SuperBowl)

lowell

I noticed that scheduled for Freeform something they've not aired before to my knowledge but the American Tail movies are going to be airing on Freeform .

12AM ET (1/22) or the overnight of monday the 21st : American Tail , the next day same time "Fivel Goes West, and on the 24th (overnight 23rd) "The Mystery of the Night Monster".

Un related : Since it's January Freeform loses it's 9AM weekday half hour for Pat Robertston stuff for a couple weeks starting tomorrow 1/14. If they stay on pattern the Last Sunday of this month they air the CBN telethon pretty much all that Sunday. (It's usually the Sunday before the SuperBowl)
I still think if the Murdochs will get stock in Disney, there could be some strings to be pulled to move The 700 Club and all other religious programming from Freeform to the Fox broadcast channel, Fox News or even a newly-made Fox Religious channel. A lot of the programming does look towards conservative ideas so it makes sense if Pat Robertson gets an offer to join a major conservative media company like New Fox. I mean, they're even relying on a Fox Nation streaming service based on Fox News to raise profits alongside everything else they have. I believe the Murdochs could be thinking the Freeform religious programs could provide conservative viewers with some more live TV relating to faith.

LisaLoudFan30

I didn't know An American Tail movies are going to be on Freeform, since Universal Kids aired three An American Tail movies 2 years ago. I doubt they will air several Land Before Time movies and Three Balto movies on Freeform.

LinusFan303

Squeak
I didn't know An American Tail movies are going to be on Freeform, since Universal Kids aired three An American Tail movies 2 years ago. I doubt they will air several Land Before Time movies and Three Balto movies on Freeform.
I doubt it too, but this was a surprise so anything can happen in their movie selections

Dillon Arias

Remember when Freeform aired Captain America: The First Avenger.

Yeah, they aired it back in February of last year and stopped airing a month later, before getting moved to USA and SYFY and then came back on FX in July.

On February 16th Freeform is gonna be airing Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted, the movie previously aired on FX, FXX and Discovery Family.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts