Best and Worst of Cartoon Network/Boomerang in 2018

Asa

Since the end of 2018 is coming in a few weeks, it’s time for everyone to look back at the best and worst of Cartoon Network, Boomerang, and Adult Swim this year. You can list some highlights and lowlights here.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Best: Craig of the Creek and Transformers Cyberverse, my two favorite cartoons at the moment

Worst: Unikitty, the schedule

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Best:

The Schedule Finally (Somewhat) Improves - One of my biggest complaints about CN the past two years has been somewhat alleviated--CN has finally scaled back on Teen Titans Go spam. The marathons weren't as long or as frequent and CN hasn't shoved the show in our faces with constant advertising. It was also nice to see other shows get a chance on the schedule, giving shows like Craig of the Creek, Summer Camp Island, and the final episodes of Clarence and Adventure Time without a single airing of TTG for an entire day. They also aired premieres more than once a week, allowing several episodes at a time to air at the top of every hour FOR A WHOLE WEEK. An outstanding far cry from their "watch this at this one time or watch it on the app" mentality from years' past.

Getting 8PM back - I've always argued that Adult Swim's 8PM expansion was utterly pointless. They never used that hour productively, opting to air more King of the Hill when that was perfectly serviceable at 9 or 10. Thank you, Comedy Central, for taking away two of AS' big Fox reruns, which in turn caused them to lose an hour they never needed in the first place.

Crossover Nexus - OK K.O. is already an amazing show and had two great crossovers with Captain Planet and the Ghoul School, but I don't think anyone was expecting...THIS. We knew that K.O. would be crossing over with a few heroes from other existing CN shows, but as more details started coming out, the hype for this special just kept growing. CN City was back and there were references to EVERY SHOW AND BLOCK from the network's 26-year history. Ian Jones-Quartey showed more love and dedication to the channel than anyone else and he deserves major props for this wonderful birthday present.

Worst:

Promoting Vishnu - After putting the schedule through the wringer with nonstop TTG bombardment, he didn't deserve this. He may not be as hands-on with the schedule as he used to be in his new position, but he doesn't deserve a higher pay grade after airing TTG during OK K.O.'s premiere week, two Thanksgivings in a row, and the entire week of Christmas to New Year's Eve. Just...no.

Steven Hiatusverse (and other missed opportunities) - CN, you have a ton of shows at your disposal that you could be airing. Where are the final episodes of Mighty Magiswords or those new episodes of OK K.O. that have been sitting on the app for months? They even got an hour back from Adult Swim, so you'd think they'd take advantage by diversifying the network a bit with the shows they already have, but nope! They just fill it with more Gumball. Probably the biggest crime is Steven Universe, where they don't even have the courtesy of airing reruns while we wait months in anguish for new premieres. They only air roughly a half-dozen shows when they could be airing more.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Best - Craig of the Creek in general being so dang consistently good right from the start;
Clarence ending proper so it didn't get stale (At least IMHO.);
OK K.O. still being consistently good going into a very obvious 3rd season;
Total Dramarama being alright, despite really bad early promotion being a turnoff;
Unikitty! showing me the good time that I feel TTG! sadly lacks;
Adventure Time ending proper (ignore the haters and naysayers!);
We Bare Bears is improving itself in overall quality.
Adult Swim starting at 9, instead of 8 (now if only we could get it back to 10, again...).

Middling and Unpopular opinions - Mighty Magiswords (an otherwise criminally underrated and actually hilarious show, IMHO!) ending on such a crappy note;
Summer Camp Island in general, as well as CN's clear treatment of it being a sign they're not too interested in it;
Gumball Season 6 (IMHO) being a sign that said show needs to end, ASAP, as it's just not as good as it used to actually be anymore;
Steven Universe not being anywhere near as good as I might have once thought it was.

Worst - The schedule not being varied enough, unless you're streaming. Plus, the continued abuse of 2-3 shows that's only leading to all these other shows I've mentioned by now being only viewable through streaming, leaving the channel to seem worthless in the long run...

Also, all the CalArts drama - can you believe how many people are stupidly and blindly bashing Western fare now (and putting anime on a really stupid pedestal over it as of late, as well, which is just really annoying to see happen.), because of this??? It's just as stupid as thinking "mean-spirited" qualifies as valid criticism of anything, if you ask me.

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
BEST:
- The schedule improves.
- Getting the 8PM Hour (for now).
- Clarence ended with a nice episode.
- OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes Crossover Event aka Crossover Nexus the best crossover of my life.
- CN Mashup.
- Unikitty! premiering in New Year.
- The Best Summer Ever block.
- Adventure Time: Minecraft Special.
- Adventure Time: The Ultimate Adventure marathon all leading up to the finale.
- Craig of the Creek premiering.
- Airing Total Drama Island back.
- Total DramaRama premiering even though it's a Saturday Morning.
- Mega Man Fully Charged.
- The Raven Domination block.
- Steven Universe: Stranded, Steven Universe: Heart of the Crystal Gems and the upcoming new episodes of Steven Universe: Diamond Days.
- Summer Camp Island 48 hour marathon.
- Teen Titans GO! To The Movies premiering in teathers.
- The Amazing World of Gumball's 200th Episode Couch Party Marathon.
- Apple & Onion premiering with 10 episodes.
- Every Episode Unlocked on the CN App & the Cartoon Network website.
- Ben 10 (2017): Innervation event.

Honorable Mentions:
- Losing King of the Hill and The Cleveland Show on [as].
- The CN Youtube program called: CN This Week.
- The Powerpuff Girls 20th Anniversary. CN didn't do anything on November 18th 2018 no marathon of both PPG shows on TV. On the plus side they aired special bumpers and TTG V PPG on TV (even though it's a Teen Titans GO! episode) and airing a special marathon on the website with the original PPG & the reboot PPG.
- The Powerpuff Girls (2016): Small World special.
- Teen Titans GO! Hollywood Special and showing sneak peeks of Teen Titans GO! To The Movies.
- MineCon Earth Remix.

WORST:
- Steven Universe Longest Hiatus.
- Teen Titans GO! marathons.
- Not giving a promo for Mega Man Fully Charged.
- No Mighty Magiswords New Episodes promo.
- No OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes Halloween promo.
- The remaining episodes of OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes not airing them on TV.
- The final episodes of Mighty Magiswords not airing them on TV.

RIP:

Clarence Logo 1.png

April 14th, 2014 - June 24th, 2018

Adventure Time Logo 1.png

April 5th, 2010 - September 3rd, 2018

Last edited:

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Where are the final episodes of Mighty Magiswords or those new episodes of OK K.O. that have been sitting on the app for months?
CN actually removed the 4 new OK K.O. episodes you mentioned from the app, as well as the website.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I agree with I.R.Shokew that the 2018 episodes of We Bare Bears were really good. I don't find the previous episodes bad, though.

SourSweetGone

Simultaneously Too Old &Too Young For The Internet
Best
-Adventure Time Series Finale
-Craig of The Creek
-Summer Camp Island
-The New Steven Universe Eps!
-Transformers Cyberverse

Worst
-All the pointless drama in fandoms
-The Poor Treatment of Megaman
-the poor scheduling (but hey its 2018 and all channels suffer from this so whatever just gotta adapt with the times and what not I guess)

Johntoonfan05

Best

Adventure Time Series Finale
Adventure Time Minecraft Special
Craig of the Creek
Transformers Cyberverse
Total Dramarama
Steven Universe New Episodes
OK KO Schedule

Worst

The end of Adventure Time
Teen Titans GO! To the Movies
Treatment of Megaman
Poor Scheduling (There needs to be a Schedule with No Teen Titans GO!)
Vishnu Problem
Steven Universe Hiatus (It has to stop)

SourSweetGone

Teen Titans Go To The Movies! wasn't on CN it was in theaters. *And a pretty great movie actually*

Also fans constantly attributing a network's bad side to one person (Vishnu, or insert countless people that came before them) is stupid. A television network like anything else is made-up of a multitude of people on various levels that make decisions that determine what the final product look likes. Just sayin.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Also fans constantly attributing a network's bad side to one person (Vishnu, or insert countless people that came before them) is stupid.
Vishnu used to do the schedule of Cartoon Network South-East Asia, and then they showed marathons of Oggy and the Cockroaches for years on end. Then he moved to the United States and suddenly there were Teen Titans Go marathons everywhere. Hmmm...

Johntoonfan05

Vishnu used to do the schedule of Cartoon Network South-East Asia, and then they showed marathons of Oggy and the Cockroaches for years on end. Then he moved to the United States and suddenly there were Teen Titans Go marathons everywhere. Hmmm...

Which became the worst and Abomination

SourSweetGone

Which became the worst and Abomination

Never seen Oggy. Teen Titans Go! is a fun show, if you dislike it that's your right but its hardly an abomination. And they show plenty of Gumball as well. I mean I don't disagree the schedule overall sucks and needs more variety, but that's just not how things work in the digital age, for anyone. Networks are gonna go with whatever shows/movies/etc get them the easiest ratings. Traditional cable and satellite is becoming secondary use for televisions for many millinals and their younger siblings &/or children when compared to streaming or gaming so I can't say I blame TV networks for either being lazy or playing it safe. It sucks, but it is what it is and we still get premiers of Craig, Bears, Ben10, Steven Universe, etc in prime time slots when new eps air and plenty of new shows coming in 2019. At this point best to just focus on the content, especially the kind you enjoy over the crappy scheduling cause I don't see it getting fixed on any network any time soon.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
With "abomination", he wasn't referring to Teen Titans Go but rather to this:
06:00 - Tom & Jerry
06:30 - Courage the Cowardly Dog
07:00 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
07:30 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
08:00 - Ben 10
08:30 - Ben 10: Omniverse
09:00 - Pink Panther and Pals
09:30 - Pink Panther and Pals
10:00 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
10:30 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
11:00 - Tom & Jerry
11:30 - Tom & Jerry
12:00 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
12:30 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
13:00 - The Amazing World of Gumball
13:30 - The Amazing World of Gumball
14:00 - Adventure Time
14:30 - Adventure Time
15:00 - Tom & Jerry
15:30 - Tom & Jerry
16:00 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
16:30 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
17:00 - Ben 10: Omniverse
17:30 - Dragons: Riders of Berk
18:00 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
18:30 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
19:00 - Adventure Time
19:30 - Adventure Time
20:00 - Tom & Jerry
20:00 - Tom & Jerry
21:00 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
21:30 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
22:00 - The Amazing World of Gumball
22:00 - The Amazing World of Gumball
23:00 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
23:30 - Oggy and the Cockroaches
00:00 - Older cartoons

(random schedule from Asia back in 2013)
(and Asia didn't have an app or Netflix or whatever)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts