"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
After the reception Black Clover has gotten, I wonder if Toonami would want to risk that. The reviews for Radiant so far have been mostly positive, but they've also mentioned that as far as Shonen goes, it's off to a pretty generic start.

But Black Clover stomps in the ratings. Boruto is thought of as a generic shonen, and it got picked up. Toonami has a shonen fetish. Megalobox seems to be the different show that will hopefully be a big enough hit to get us some variety.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
But Black Clover stomps in the ratings. Boruto is thought of as a generic shonen, and it got picked up. Toonami has a shonen fetish. Megalobox seems to be the different show that will hopefully be a big enough hit to get us some variety.

I'll concede that Clover gets good ratings (although I'd say they only picked up Boruto because it's a Naruto sequel). But I also feel most of the viewers might be manga fans. In Radiant's case, the source material isn't very popular (yet), so I don't think it would have that cushion.

Light Lucario

Staff member
If that does help Toonami, it will just be temporarily. I'm sure that Funimation has plans to setup more legal streaming for their titles in the near future.

wjbraden

I'll concede that Clover gets good ratings (although I'd say they only picked up Boruto because it's a Naruto sequel). But I also feel most of the viewers might be manga fans. In Radiant's case, the source material isn't very popular (yet), so I don't think it would have that cushion.
I should also add that Radiant, much like Black Clover, is getting a big push from the get go, as I heard that a couple of international networks have already signed on to air the show.

One other thing to mention is that unlike Black Clover, it doesn't look like it's going to be an ongoing show, as it's only listed for 21 episodes. It's your good old toonami shounen that everybody loves (well, the majority anyways), but not something that's going to be around for years.
Plus, if they started airing the show in the next couple of weeks, it would also conveniently end right around the simuldub for Attack on Titan Season 3 part two in April-ish. I'm just hypothesizing tho.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
When it comes to shonen, I think that Cells at Work was the 13-26 episode shonen of 2018. Rather have a show that is already completed and has hype than a show that has just begun and whose quality is unknown. Plus, it's a more creative setting than the fantasy world we've seen a million times in Black Clover or Boruto's setting of Naruto-lite (although the technological improvements make the setting feel a little bit fresher). Why no dub?

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
Konosuba would've been great for Toonami...if it had a dub
Which given recent news doesn't seem very likely.

Though maybe Made in Abyss could possibly make it on Toonami

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Konosuba would've been great for Toonami...if it had a dub
Which given recent news doesn't seem very likely.

Why not? Crunchyroll is still going to produce dubs, just without Funimation. They had already contracted Bang Zoom, Ocean and Studiopolis before that partnership.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Why not? Crunchyroll is still going to produce dubs, just without Funimation. They had already contracted Bang Zoom, Ocean and Studiopolis before that partnership.

The thing about Konosuba is that they are sure taking their sweet time. Two years after the show debuted and no announcement at all about a dub.

With all the calls for Made in Abyss, Konosuba, Cells at Work, Darling in the Franxx, and several other shows, it seems like Megalobox demand was buried underneath the cries for all of those aformentioned shows. At the same time, picking a semi obscure show is kind of exciting when Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins were very unknown prior to the Toonami airing.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
It appears to be taking the FLCL Alternative slot. I guess FLCL Alternative will take the One Punch Man slot and everything moves downwards?

Seems interesting how Toonami is able to get shows that were previously on the "this can't air on Toonami" list. Because of the claim that it won't air on Toonami, I marathoned the show on Funimation. The dub is streaming there for free right now. Anyway, that list doesn't seem to mean much anymore and the last two items on the list, The Ancient Magus Bride and Sailor Moon Crystal, aren't impossible to air despite being on the list. The list seems to mean practically nothing. Anyway, I loved Mob Psycho 100 and seeing it again will be fun. The characterization, humor, and action scenes were on point. Anyway a Toonami airing is basically like a hall of fame induction and it's a huge honor.

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
Mob Psycho 100 is definitely a welcome addition to the Toonami family, I personally haven't had a chance to finish it so I'm definitively looking forward to it.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Worth noting that Mob Psycho 100 season 2 premieres in Japan in January. So Toonami could potentially go straight into season 2 as soon as they finish season 1.

(That is, of course, if the Funimation/Crunchyroll breakup doesn't cause issues with season 2's simuldub.)

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well that's a nice surprise. I figured that FLCL Alternative would still air at 11:30PM, but it does make sense to push it down the schedule. There was more justification for keeping Progressive reruns on that slot since they wanted to keep people's attention for Alternative. Although, I wonder if this was a last minute decision. We normally hear about new shows two weeks before they premiere, but this was announce the day before. I'm not sure how much attention the first episode could get with this late announcement and if people are expecting another run for Alternative.

Still, this is pretty cool news. I haven't seen the series, but I've heard good things about it and the promo made the series more interesting too, so I'll be happy to check it out to see if I enjoy it.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
We normally hear about new shows two weeks before they premiere, but this was announce the day before. I'm not sure how much attention the first episode could get with this late announcement and if people are expecting another run for Alternative.

It's premiering next Saturday (10/27), not tomorrow. It was actually supposed to premiere tomorrow, but there was apparently some last minute issues, hence why this Saturday the first episode of Alternative is airing at 11:30 and there's an hour of Samurai Jack in the last hour.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I find it weird that they apparently had a week delay after Alternative ended to get the show. Always curious about the behind the scenes things. We know that they've had problems getting the rights to this show. Looks like the almost got it last week, but they had a few pieces of red tape left. Anyway, Toonami must have Roger Smith level negotiating skills at this point as no AAA anime title seems out of their grasp (except maybe those Netflix labels as "Netflix Original" anime).

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I knew they'd get this show eventually, since OPM did so well. Personally, I find OPM way better - but I know a lot of people who actually prefer Mob Psycho, so I'd recommend that everyone check it out.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts