Disney bought 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion in stock

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
If Criminal Minds is renewed, I expect this to be the last season under the ABC Studios name.

Though ABC Studios and TCF TV are remaining separate, I expect some shows will switch between studios so that the former studio produces only on ABC, and the latter on networks/services other than ABC.

This would affect The Amazing Race and the Marvel Netflix shows as well (moving from ABC to TCF), Fresh Off the Boat (from TCF to ABC), Speechless and Single Parents (both ABC/TCF co-productions now solely ABC), should any of these be renewed. Modern Family, a TCF production on ABC, is ending after this season, but if a spin-off is picked up, it could very well be an ABC Studios show.

Of course I did read they are planning to merge TCF TV and ABC Studios down the road, but they could still use my brand strategy - the ABC Studios brand would used for ABC series, and the TCF TV brand (which would be nothing more than that) would be used on non-ABC series.

Last edited:

Anti-Hero 69

If Criminal Minds is renewed, I expect this to be the last season under the ABC Studios name.

Though ABC Studios and TCF TV are remaining separate, I expect some shows will switch between studios so that the former studio produces only on ABC, and the latter on networks/services other than ABC.

This would affect The Amazing Race and the Marvel Netflix shows as well (moving from ABC to TCF), Fresh Off the Boat (from TCF to ABC), Speechless and Single Parents (both ABC/TCF co-productions now solely ABC), should any of these be renewed. Modern Family, a TCF production on ABC, is ending after this season, but if a spin-off is picked up, it could very well be an ABC Studios show.
Let's not forget Last Man Standing, which was just revived on Fox by TCF after getting the boot from ABC

PF9

I edited my post since you made yours.

Of course my branding strategy could be used by CBS and NBC too.

NBC could change the name of their primary production arm to NBC Studios, but use the Universal Television brand for non-NBC series (and even use an updated logo based on the theatrical logo).

CBS could use the Spelling Television brand for dramas on platforms other than CBS, the CW or CBS All-Access, likewise with Big Ticket Television for genres other than drama (which would continue even after a CBS/Viacom re-merger; Paramount Television would operate separately)

lowell

Variety: The Disney-Fox deal is looking to be closed by January 1st, 2019!

Pretty surprising since most of us were expecting this to be finalized towards the summer of 2019, am I right? ;)
Oh, actually they meant New Fox is launching New Year's Day but they said the earliest the deal could close is that day since the period for it to close is still placed around January to June. It looks better because for the EU because of the divestments of the Sky and Endemol Shine stakes and China is still co-owner of the parks. I still don't know why Taiwan has to do their own approval since they're still considered as part of the PRC and not acknowledged as independent by the UN anymore.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
I edited my post since you made yours.

Of course my branding strategy could be used by CBS and NBC too.

NBC could change the name of their primary production arm to NBC Studios, but use the Universal Television brand for non-NBC series (and even use an updated logo based on the theatrical logo).

CBS could use the Spelling Television brand for dramas on platforms other than CBS, the CW or CBS All-Access, likewise with Big Ticket Television for genres other than drama (which would continue even after a CBS/Viacom re-merger; Paramount Television would operate separately)
No, leave it be. Aaron Spelling is dead, the name means nothing anymore. NBC doesn't need to rename a well known name just to fit with the other networks.

lowell

Comcast Closes Deal for Fox’s Sky Stake, Owns Over 75% of European Pay-TV Giant

So Comcast not only owns majority and eventually all of Sky, this officially ends Fox and their relationship with the British broadcaster.
I felt like it would've helped Disney more than Comcast since they're getting Star of Asia and this is its European counterpart. Plus, the weirdest thing is that analysts have hinted some plans that Disney would've had for Sky while Comcast didn't really say anything except that Sky is great and we just want to own it. I'm still wondering what are their plans for the future, will they get into their own streaming business? Also, Comcast's NBCUniversal has both film and TV productions in the UK already, they made Downton Abbey and the spinoff coming to NBC next year. Disney doesn't have anything in the UK besides ILM London.

lowell

I'm still curious about who will stay with Disney at this point. Someone like Kinberg and Shuler-Donner.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
I have not seen the X-men film series but I have seen Star Wars Rebels and Kinberg is just better suited with Star Wars. He wrote really good episodes (Twilight of the Apprentice, for example) and was actually helping the Story Group, Lawrence Kasdan, and Michael Arndt plan out the new films before JJ Abrams came on board for TFA. I hope he just jumps back to Lucasfilm as soon as the deal closes.

I know Shuler-Donner's production company technically owns the rights to X-Men and Deadpool like how Constantin owns Fantastic Four rights. Disney might just buy their early contract termination with some checks or if they refuse, then they'll just wait until a year after those contracts expire, since more films have to be made for a certain time or else they lose the rights, to make new films. I believe Marvel Studios and even Disney itself want those rights in their ownership rather than adding Shuler-Donner and Constantin with producer credits on the new films.

SuperFan2024

Shoo fly.
Wait, sorry, I've never really had too much knowledge on this Disney/Fox purchase. What is Disney buying specifically? May someone point out examples of some series' and movies or rights or networks they're purchasing? What does this mean for the MCU? May someone explain these things to me please? Thank you.

Nexonius

Wait, sorry, I've never really had too much knowledge on this Disney/Fox purchase. What is Disney buying specifically? May someone point out examples of some series' and movies or rights or networks they're purchasing? What does this mean for the MCU? May someone explain these things to me please? Thank you.
Nearly everything that is 21st Century Fox, not including the Fox network, its sports channels, Fox News Networks, Endemol Shine stake, and Sky since Comcast owns it now.

Whatever Fox has from Marvel will be at Marvel with exceptions.

PF9

Wonder why Comcast didn't trade its stake in Hulu to Disney/Fox for the Sky stake

lowell

Wonder why Comcast didn't trade its stake in Hulu to Disney/Fox for the Sky stake
Could they possibly be waiting for the Sky holding to reach 100% and close the deal? Plus, UK government rules that stakes of different entities can't be traded except cash transactions. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is working right now to determine which RSNs will be sold to each person they want to deal with. With AT&T, they can get 10% of Hulu, ending of Turner Star Wars deal, rights to Hanna-Barbera, New Line, and other Marvel content they own. With Comcast, they can get 30% of Hulu, ending of Universal Marvel contract, and all the Marvel content they own including the distribution rights.

Dudley

Staff member
I’m up for a trade that’ll allow Marvel to get character rights back from Universal.
I want my She-Hulk movie, dangit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nexonius

Something that was initially started by NBCU and the former News Corporation and ran by the former until the 51% acquisition by Comcast forbade them from having any say in a while until last month, to Disney and eventually Turner grabbing an equal stake. Let's not forget that DreamWorks Animation has a deal with Hulu starting over a year from now.

Disney beating Comcast in getting Fox, though for a higher price while the latter got what Rupert Murdoch always wanted to own in full (Sky), also for a higher price. Though Hulu can easily be divested by Comcast, it wouldn't be such a great idea. Comcast just brought in their guys, and to give up their stake to Disney because of Fox's absorption would hurt them. Remember, DWA and NBC licensing their content to a Comcast less Hulu wouldn't last long. With WarnerMedia starting a new streaming service next year, Comcast should just acquire their stake eventually since WM has no voting power anyway, and to either have Disney pay a higher price to own all of Hulu or deal with Comcast, which is going to be the latter.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Comcast Closes Deal for Fox’s Sky Stake, Owns Over 75% of European Pay-TV Giant

So Comcast not only owns majority and eventually all of Sky, this officially ends Fox and their relationship with the British broadcaster.

I just think Disney should've kept Sky instead because they never owned a cable/satellite company before and I doubt The Simpsons and Futurama will leave Sky 1 as a result of this happening plus I don't expect these two to move to Fox UK anytime soon since that network is more like FX, which is what it used to be called, not to mention that the Fox network said that they will continue working with their former studio subsidiary after the merger is finalised.

The reason why I didn't think it was fair for Comcast to buy Sky is that they have a bad reputation on customer service and would've been better if they had introduced their satellite service to Europe instead of buying Sky. It's understandable why they did this but honestly, I just fear that Comcast will do something bad to it.
Something that was initially started by NBCU and the former News Corporation and ran by the former until the 51% acquisition by Comcast forbade them from having any say in a while until last month, to Disney and eventually Turner grabbing an equal stake. Let's not forget that Dreamworks Animation has a deal with Hulu starting over a year from now.

Disney beating Comcast in getting Fox, though for a higher price while the latter got what Rupert Murdoch always wanted to own in full (Sky), also for a higher price. Though Hulu can easily be divested by Comcast, it wouldn't be such a great idea. Comcast just brought in their guys, and to give up their stake to Disney because of Fox's absorption would hurt them. Remember, DWA and NBC licensing their content to a Comcast less Hulu wouldn't last long. With Warner Media starting a new streaming service next year, Comcast should just acquire their stake eventually since WM has no voting power anyway, and to either have Disney pay a higher price to own all of Hulu or deal with Comcast, which is going to be the latter.

That's because DWA and NBC are owned by Comcast themselves and I don't really think Warner Media's plans to launch their own streaming service affects their stake on Hulu, so I doubt that Comcast will acquire their stake eventually.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nexonius

I just think Disney should've kept Sky instead because they never owned a cable/satellite company before and I doubt The Simpsons and Futurama will leave Sky 1 as a result of this happening plus I don't expect these two to move to Fox UK anytime soon since that network is more like FX, which is what it used to be called, not to mention that the Fox network said that they will continue working with their former studio subsidiary after the merger is finalised.

The reason why I didn't think it was fair for Comcast to buy Sky is that they have a bad reputation on customer service and would've been better if they had introduced their satellite service to Europe instead of buying Sky. It's understandable why they did this but honestly, I just fear that Comcast will do something bad to it.

That's because DWA and NBC are owned by Comcast themselves and I don't really think Warner Media's plans to launch their own streaming service affects their stake on Hulu, so I doubt that Comcast will acquire their stake eventually.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I am in full knowledge of that fact, that's why I mentioned both NBC and DWA. And did you hear the recent news on the new WM service coming next year? Check the AT&T thread.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts