Avengers: Black Panther's Quest "Shadow of Atlantis, Parts 1-2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Discuss the Season 5 Premiere of "Avengers Assemble"!

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Tune in for the premiere of the 5th Season of Marvel's Avengers Assemble. Avengers: Black Panther's Quest debuts tonight on Disney XD, with two episodes starting at 9:00PM ET!

NtouNqC.png
Marvel's Avengers: Black Panther's Quest "Shadow of Atlantis, Part 1"
Episode Debut - September 23rd, 2018
Written by - Geoffrey Thorne
Directed by - Micah Gunnell

Black Panther and the Avengers must defend New York City from an invasion of monsters.

Marvel's Avengers: Black Panther's Quest "Shadow of Atlantis, Part 2"
Episode Debut - September 23rd, 2018
Written by - Geoffrey Thorne
Directed by - Tim Eldred

Black Panther and the Avengers battle to stop the invasion of New York.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Question why is nobody talking about d premier?
It's probably because this premiered so late at night that it's not talked about too much. I mean, the other Marvel cartoons usually premiere early morning (8-9am) or early evening (6-7pm)

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I haven't had much to say about it. As I started watching the episodes on TV, I got accustomed to the design changes pretty quickly. I found myself the Avengers that weren't here but this wasn't a party that required everyone, and hopefully we'll see them all as the season progresses. The idea of the team playing backup to T'Challa for the entire season will take getting used to and hopefully, they will make the most. It was nice to get a little more insight into T'Challa, with scenes of his protectiveness towards Shuri and his need to fulfill his late dad's wishes. Atlanteans aren't the mist charismatic villains but it does seem to be leading to more, and the diplomatic standoff at the end was neat. It was a little odd to see Tony trying to bond with T'Challa as much as he did but I'm just glad that the Avengers aren't being as second fiddled as, for example, the X-Men were in WATX.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Northstar

To be honest the first episode was just Meh and really didn't give much reason to want to watch the second episode.

Last edited:

TheLemsterPju

I loved it!

Gorgeous animation this time around. I also enjoyed how much of a unending threat Tiger Shark was. Dude had stamina like no one else.

I wonder where the Hulk was during all this?

brodie999

There's something I noticed about several characters in the episodes. Black Panther and his sister Shuri now look like their MCU counterparts. And the character's histories are now retooled to more-closely follow their film counterpart's too. Man, this Marvel Animated Universe feels like it'll never stop retconning characters and histories.

TheLemsterPju

There's something I noticed about several characters in the episodes. Black Panther and his sister Shuri now look like their MCU counterparts. And the character's histories are now retooled to more-closely follow their film counterpart's too. Man, this Marvel Animated Universe feels like it'll never stop retconning characters and histories.
I don't know if you saw the interview with the head writer for this season, but he said this season was mostly done before they knew hardly anything about the Black Panther film.

And Shuri doesn't look like her MCU counterpart at all IMO.

brodie999

I don't know if you saw the interview with the head writer for this season, but he said this season was mostly done before they knew hardly anything about the Black Panther film.

And Shuri doesn't look like her MCU counterpart at all IMO.
Well, maybe because Black Panther now looks like Chadwick Boseman because the season waited too long to come out before the film came out.

Sometimes, delays happen before animated shows airs the next season.

spyke

I finally watched these 2 episodes and I gotta say that despite a few flaws, I really liked them. Here are my thoughts on these 2 episodes.

1. The art and animation, for the most part, was a heck of a lot better than the art and animation from the 4 previous seasons. There were a few times when the art and animation was inconsistent and didn't look all that good and kinda looked more like the previous seasons (like the first 10 minutes of the first episode,the fight under water,and most of the fight on the bridge), but all the other locations and scenes in those episodes looked good.

2. The fight scenes were (for the most part) really good and far better then the fight scenes from the previous seasons. Especially the fights scenes at the Wakandian Embassy and when they focused on fight scenes with either one on one combat or with only 3 or 4 characters in a scene. However, the show is still making the mistake of having Black Widow smack around opponents who are physically far more stronger and durable then her by punching and kicking them. The same goes for both Captain America and Black Panther (but to a lesser extent, since they are both enhanced humans)

3. The story was decent.

4. I hated that Namor wasn't in these episodes and that they made Tiger Shark an Atlantean instead of a mutated human.

5. Carol/Captain Marvel is still boring and bland as heck. Which is a shame since she used to be one of my favorite characters before they turned her into an over powered Mary Sue and girl scout.

6. The Avengers movie costumes are ugly and boring looking in animation and need to be replaced with either their classic comic book costumes (but with some updated tweaks made to those costumes.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
The fact that this is a third time they're using Atlantis without Namor for the third time shows that I'm really glad we're going to be done with this series.

I'd honestly rather not have any cartoon at all then one where the creators have no idea what they're doing,

TheLemsterPju

Attuma's design and voice change caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting to see him again, especially without the over the top personality.

As for Namor, I'm sure Attuma exiled him for whatever reason lol.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The fact that this is a third time they're using Atlantis without Namor for the third time shows that I'm really glad we're going to be done with this series.

I'd honestly rather not have any cartoon at all then one where the creators have no idea what they're doing,
I'd say executive meddling is at play, the most amount for any Marvel cartoon in the decade.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Poor Namor has been in limbo since World's Greatest Heroes ended. There must be some kind of embargo whether it has to do with him being a mutant or Universal possibly owning the rights or whatever else but I'm guessing they're not allowed to use him.

It's funny that you can see Orka in Fred's bedroom on Big Hero 6 every episode or see Attuma on this show but Namor is off-limits

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I'd say executive meddling is at play, the most amount for any Marvel cartoon in the decade.

Yeah but it's really stupid executive meddling when you realize how a limited set of characters means fewer toys to sell.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel’s Avengers: Black Panther’s Quest “Shadow Of Atlantis: Part One”

Well, only the first scene had better animation than the rest of the series. Bit of a bait and switch, if you ask me.

Groaned at them turning Shuri into a damsel in distress at the end.

I get that they want to build Black Panther up, but do they need to make Tony seem like a total tool to do it? Him thinking he took out Tiger Shark means he’s stupid, and the “Buddy” thing means he’s desperate for approval. Tony is pretty much Stephen Colbert and T’Challa is his one black friend.

I like that Kamala is excited by the idea that she’s a heavy hitter.

I like the new title card and end credits theme.

All right premiere. ***.

Marvel’s Avengers: Black Panther’s Quest “Shadow Of Atlantis: Part Two”

I didn’t like what they did with Shuri this episode. She was far too sidelined and useless for my tastes.

I like that Black Panther doesn’t like being touched. Not only is that consistent with royalty, but it’s also very cat-like too.

I’m interested to see where the stuff with Atuma and Atlantis goes. Let’s just say I am not accepting his story at face value.

I was beyond annoyed that the Avengers kept losing the pot and then the artifact. Competent heroes would have kept better track of it. There were several points to regain it where Tony and T’Challa didn’t even seem to bother to try.

Solid conclusion. ***1/2.

spyke

That's not the fault of the creators. It's the fault of the executives. The current creators inherited lemons and are doing their best to make the best tasting lemonade that they can.

OMT, you guys might want to check out this thread over on the CBR forums. The head writer of AA:BPQ, Geoffrey Thorne posts regularly in that thread and answers questions under the username of "Redjack".

T'Challa: Black Panther Appreciation 2018 - Page 119

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I remember Redjack! He used to be on Dwayne McDuffie's message-board. He and I got along pretty well. It's good to see he's gone on to bigger and better things.

TheLemsterPju

The Namor thing isn't that big of a deal. I'm not sure why this thread turned into a debate about him not being in this.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts