PlayStation Classic Coming December 3rd

ToonJay723

Staff member
Sony has announced a PlayStation Classic console coming December 3rd featuring games like FInal Fantasy VII, Wild Arms, Jumping Flash, Tekken 3, and Ridge Racer Type 4.

Almost 25 years ago, the original PlayStation was introduced to the world. Developed by Sony Computer Entertainment, it was the first home console in video game history to ship 100 million units worldwide, offering consumers a chance to play games with real-time 3D rendered graphics in their homes for the first time.

Today, we are excited to announce that we are bringing back the original PlayStation experience in a new miniaturized version – PlayStation Classic! The console will come pre-loaded with 20 classic titles, including fan-favorites such as Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms.

The mini console is approximately 45% smaller than the original PlayStation, and it emulates the original’s look and feel by featuring similar controllers and packaging. Long-time fans will appreciate the nostalgia that comes with rediscovering the games they know and love, while gamers who might be new to the platform can enjoy the groundbreaking PlayStation console experience that started it all. All of the pre-loaded games will be playable in their original format.

Available for pre-order at select retailers across the US and CAN, each unit will also come with an HDMI cable to connect to their TV, a USB cable, and two controllers for local multiplayer within compatible titles. PlayStation Classic will be available for $99.99 USD (MSRP) / $129.99 CAN (MSRP) on December 3, 2018 – a historic date for all of us at PlayStation.

Visit PlayStation.com for more details on regional availability, and stay tuned to the Blog for the full lineup of titles coming to PlayStation Classic. There are more fan favorites, and we can’t wait to share more details in the coming months.

Source

jaylop97

Staff member
Neat, the PS1 is a pretty good port to see rereleased again, especially around the month of December.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
No, I'm being serious. If it's like 50 or 60 bucks, I might get one eventually, but if it's $80 like the SNES Classic, it doesn't sound like there are enough good games on it to justify the purchase.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
No worries. I had assumed you were making a joke about inevitable scalper prices if this thing becomes as scarce as the the two Nintendo Classics systems, but I actually paid sticker price for both of those machines when I got them. If the PSC is closer to NES Classic's $60 price, and has some interesting games I've always wanted to try like Crash Bandicoot or Spyro, I'll probably get one eventually. If it's $80 and the games touted in that press release are the most famous of the games listed, I'll pass.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Too rich for my blood. Honestly, that's a silly price. The Nintendo systems could justify a higher price than the AT Games Atari and Sega systems because they not only spent the money to license games from other companies, but the titles they chose were great too. And this is 20 dollars more to play games I as a person who grew up before that console hit, never heard of, or got the chance to play or wanted to play. I had a much bigger incentive to want to own Metroid and Zelda (which I had for neither system back then) than I do for any of the no-name games announced for this system already.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
No worries. I had assumed you were making a joke about inevitable scalper prices if this thing becomes as scarce as the the two Nintendo Classics systems, but I actually paid sticker price for both of those machines when I got them.

Jim Sterling kind of said it best; Sony has the mindset of a video game company. They want to sell as many of these and make as much money as possible.

Nintendo thinks like a toymaker; They want the next Tickle Me Elmo that creates a CRAZE and gets covered in the evening news. The very fact that they did the same thing twice in a row is them admitting the scarcities were deliberate and planned.

TL: DR: Don't worry about not finding this in stores.

I wonder what the final list of games will be. I know licensing issues exist, but it's going to be obvious and weird if games like Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Resident Evil don't make the cut.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I take something back: Final Fantasy VII WAS a big name videogame back in the day, but it's the only one of those titles so far announced that was.

Jim Sterling kind of said it best; Sony has the mindset of a video game company. They want to sell as many of these and make as much money as possible.

Nintendo thinks like a toymaker; They want the next Tickle Me Elmo that creates a CRAZE and gets covered in the evening news. The very fact that they did the same thing twice in a row is them admitting the scarcities were deliberate and planned.
I've heard that quote before and it's true. And yet, I was eventually able to get both systems at retail price with a little patience. It WAS frustrating for the NES Classic though.
TL: DR: Don't worry about not finding this in stores.
My worry is that I probably simply won't buy it. Too expensive.
I wonder what the final list of games will be. I know licensing issues exist, but it's going to be obvious and weird if games like Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Resident Evil don't make the cut.
Nintendo paid out the licenses for some of its bigger games, right? Is that why we haven't seen the PSC full list title yet? Is Sony still trying to work those details out?

ToonJay723

Staff member
I take something back: Final Fantasy VII WAS a big name videogame back in the day, but it's the only one of those titles so far announced that was.
Tekken 3 also, it was the sixth best selling PS1 game and sold over 7 million copies. Wild Arms and Ridge Racer Type 4 also did respectable. The only dud here is Jumping Flash, I think it's only here because it was a European launch title.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Never heard of it, although as I noted, this was the system that was a generation after I ducked out of videogames. I never made it past the SNES. But I might have been willing to buy a Classic version at a reasonable price with games I had heard of. This does not qualify either way.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
The fact that the Playstation Classic has games from Square-Enix and Namco (who also had third-party titles for the NES Classic) has me believing that Konami and Capcom will have at least have one game on this system (with the Konami rep being SOTN IMO).

Zeether

HASSHA!!
Tekken 3 also, it was the sixth best selling PS1 game and sold over 7 million copies. Wild Arms and Ridge Racer Type 4 also did respectable. The only dud here is Jumping Flash, I think it's only here because it was a European launch title.
Jumping Flash is an amazing game and I wouldn't call it a dud by any circumstance. It's got very tight controls and the music rocks. In fact I don't think any of the titles on this are bad choices, it's just that the price point is a bit too much and they're locking out stuff like Ape Escape by not going with a DualShock.

Tekken 3 is also a curious addition because of a licensed character (Gon) being present, which might have been holding it back from a digital release until now.

Oh and Parappa, while a potentially good addition, may have trouble because the remaster and the PSP release have horrendous input lag that can and will screw up your timing on songs. When the remaster came out I remember a lot of complaints about it. Not sure if a rereleased PS1 version would do any better with fixing the timing.

Last edited:

SNS

I wish this was released with the dualshock controller. Since it's not, I'm guessing that none of the remaining 15 games can be those that require the controller.

ToonJay723

Staff member
I wish this was released with the dualshock controller. Since it's not, I'm guessing that none of the remaining 15 games can be those that require the controller.
I think Ape Escape was the only game that required analog sticks, although a lot of games like Crash and Spyro feel better with analog control.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts