Animated TV shows that should've been

Mr. Horse

insert clever caption here
Which animated TV shows would you like to have seen reach the airwaves, but instead ended up aborted, scrapped, unsold, or never produced? Here's my list of those cartoons I think should've been made:

-Big Beast Quintet: never seen it, but a pilot based on a Nickelodeon bumper? That sounds interesting.

-the aborted Wendy the Witch series that would've been on the air in about 2001 if Harvey wasn't purchased by Classic Media. I've got some promotional material for it saved on my laptop, and it seems interesting. Seems strange we only got the video game based on it, and not the TV show along with it...

-several of Jay Ward's abandoned programs, like the half-hour version of "Super Chicken", "Space Granny", "Simpson and Delaney", and "Orville Wrong of the Laffingyette Escadrille", among "a host of others". Being a Ward fan, it's a shame that these ended up scrapped and abandoned (although pilots for some of their unsold shows were made, although I've yet to see them with my own two eyes).

-the proposed Rankin/Bass Edgar Bergen/Charlie McCarthy Animagic program.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
Which animated TV shows would you like to have seen reach the airwaves, but instead ended up aborted, scrapped, unsold, or never produced? Here's my list of those cartoons I think should've been made:

-Big Beast Quintet: never seen it, but a pilot based on a Nickelodeon bumper? That sounds interesting.

-the aborted Wendy the Witch series that would've been on the air in about 2001 if Harvey wasn't purchased by Classic Media. I've got some promotional material for it saved on my laptop, and it seems interesting. Seems strange we only got the video game based on it, and not the TV show along with it...

-several of Jay Ward's abandoned programs, like the half-hour version of "Super Chicken", "Space Granny", "Simpson and Delaney", and "Orville Wrong of the Laffingyette Escadrille", among "a host of others". Being a Ward fan, it's a shame that these ended up scrapped and abandoned (although pilots for some of their unsold shows were made, although I've yet to see them with my own two eyes).

-the proposed Rankin/Bass Edgar Bergen/Charlie McCarthy Animagic program.

Are you talking about shows based off of pilots or shows that ended years ago with no existing network that can play the program on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr.Pepper

I remember seeing a pilot for CN that was called something like “What’s Wrong With Ruth” (I can’t seem to find it online anymore). I thought it was good for mindless entertainment.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
I remembered two proposed shows that should’ve gotten greenlit. 1) was Paranormal Roommates, one was created by the former Regular Show staff, Benton Connor, which is about two cryptids who lives in apartment with an human that worked for an organization that involves mysterious creatures, and 2) was a canceled TBS animated series, The Cops, that was cancelled when the allegations against Louis C.K. had rolled in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Danger Planet was a funny pilot.

Not to be rude, but I thought that pilot was awful. That thing not getting picked up is no skin off my back.

As for a pilot I wanted to see picked up for a full series, I would pick Korgoth of Barbaria. This hyperviolent, raunchy parody of Conan the Barbarian was hyped up for a full series, but its production turned out to be more expensive than Adult Swim could handle at the time.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I saw artwork online of Nelvana's planned Doctor Who animated aeries from the 1980s/90s (where the Doctor looked like Egon from the Real Ghostbusters wearing a trench coat and a long scarf), and if it had ever got made, I'd probably would've watched it.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
I saw artwork online of Nelvana's planned Doctor Who animated aeries from the 1980s/90s (where the Doctor looked like Egon from the Real Ghostbusters wearing a trench coat and a long scarf), and if it had ever got made, I'd probably would've watched it.
Yes a million times.
I'm referring to pilots and shows that were proposed, and artwork was made, but didn't get greenlit.
If we’re just going by that, the Buffy and Captain America cartoons, both for Fox Kids. I would also like to see the unmade series based on Croc: Legends of the Gobbos, even though nothing has come out of it ever. It would also be on Fox Kids/Family, because the games were either rated K-A or E, and they were made by Fox Interactive.

ShadowBeast

There was this one pilot that I thought that might've made for a good show. But I can't remember what it was called.
The main characters I think are on a different planet since a female character was shown on the monitor with the background of her screen showing more destruction happening.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Silly ShadowBeast, if it were a CN pilot, it would have gotten green light ;)

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member

I love the steampunk future of Constant Payne and the bone crunching action. I'm not too well versed in either but it does make me think of what I imagine Doc Savage or Tom Strong must be like. The adventurer dad/daughter relationship could have been something really cute. I don't know the exact reasons that Nick passed on it but I think it could have been a cool adventure series like Avatar became for them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Darkdawn

I Am Here
Back in 2015, Amazon had a pilot for a potential sci-fi adventure/mystery show named Everstar. I don't remember exact details of it right now (and it's no longer available to watch on Amazon), but it was about an Earth girl who takes command of a mysterious spaceship and travels the universe.

I remember watching that and really really really hoping it would be picked up, but that didn't happen.

I love the steampunk future of Constant Payne and the bone crunching action. I'm not too well versed in either but it does make me think of what I imagine Doc Savage or Tom Strong must be like. The adventurer dad/daughter relationship could have been something really cute. I don't know the exact reasons that Nick passed on it but I think it could have been a cool adventure series like Avatar became for them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IIRC, wasn't it a casualty of the immediate post-9/11 media landscape? I agree that it could've been an awesome action cartoon for Nick. I wish there would be more cartoons with a dieselpunk-ish aesthetic...

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts