DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 9 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Sidious

I look at sales and I do not see big differences with the rest of the movies.

Exactly.

Wasn't Superman Doomsday the most top seller?

Did the Damien Batman movies minus the JL and TT, make money at all?

I'm betting the Gaslight and Harley movies underperformed.

I know Batman is their money maker BUT they will get more when they put him with the JL instead of him being solo in a movie.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Exactly.

Wasn't Superman Doomsday the most top seller?

Did the Damien Batman movies minus the JL and TT, make money at all?

I'm betting the Gaslight and Harley movies underperformed.

I know Batman is their money maker BUT they will get more when they put him with the JL instead of him being solo in a movie.

Gotham by Gaslight did quite well actually (Nearly 5 milllion on Blu-Ray/DVD sales alone so far) and was the best performing DTV since, you guessed it, Batman: The Killing Joke.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Here are next year's movie titles, as revealed on the DC Comics Blog

The 2019 slate was announced at the San Diego Comic-Con panel following tonight’s The Death of Superman world premiere. Based on the seminal storyline that shocked fans of the Man of Steel when it debuted 25 years ago, The Death of Superman is actually only the beginning of the story. The second part of the previously announced two-part adaptation, Reign of the Supermen, kicks things off in early 2019. Focusing on what happens after Superman’s death, the comics that inspired part two introduced characters who have gone on to play integral roles in the world of Superman, such as Steel, Cyborg Superman and Conner Kent. Look for some Reign of the Supermen teasers in the closing credits of The Death of Superman.
After that, in spring 2019, the Justice League returns for Justice League vs. The Fatal Five. Originally composed of supercriminals Tharok, Emerald Empress, Validus, Mano and the Persuader, the Fatal Five were first introduced in 1967 and are more commonly associated with the Legion of Super-Heroes. While they have appeared in animation before, both on Justice League Unlimited and on the Legion of Superheroes animated series, they’ve been largely dormant for a while (though Emerald Empress did play a key role in the recent JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD comic book event). This is an original story, and there’s much we don’t know about it. Is it set in the future or the present day? Will the Legion appear? Which Justice Leaguers will we see? Only time will tell!
The third movie for 2019, Batman: Hush will release in summer, and will follow the two-part Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen as the latest animated movie based on an acclaimed DC comic storyline. While this year’s Batman: Gotham by Gaslight was arguably the last Batman-centered DC Universe Movie, it’s an “Elseworlds” tale featuring a Victorian Era Dark Knight. Hush will find the series returning to the present day and set in a much more familiar Gotham City. The comic storyline featured popular Bat baddies like Poison Ivy, Ra’s al Ghul and the Joker, but it’s also well known for introducing the villain it’s named after—the bandage-faced Hush. While a child version of the character has made a couple of appearances on Gotham and Hush has appeared in video games like the Arkham and LEGO Batman titles, he’s never before appeared in a DC Universe Movie.
But wait, there’s more…
Yes, typically WBHE releases three DC Universe Movies each year, but 2019 is special and we’re getting a fourth. For the first time since her fan-favorite 2009 animated movie, Wonder Woman will take center stage in an original animated movie called Wonder Woman: Bloodlines. Not much is known about this mysterious—but very exciting—bonus movie, but expect to learn more next year.

Individual News & Discussion threads for the new titles will be posted soon on this very forum!

Frontier

Staff member
Here are next year's movie titles, as revealed on the DC Comics Blog

Individual News & Discussion threads for the new titles will be posted soon on this very forum!
Wow! That's a pretty impressive and eclectic set of films for 2019 :D.

And we'll also be getting four films in one year, which should be fun, although production-wise I think this time it will be a one-off thing :sweat:.

I'm really curious, after Reign of Supermen, which of these will be in-continuity and which of them won't. We're getting four movies so I'm wondering if that will offset the "two in-continuity, one Elseworlds" pattern and we'll have more of one then the other this year (or maybe a balance of two-for-two?) :eek:.

Justice League vs. The Fatal Five seems set to be an original story, so I'm guessing it will likely be an in-continuity film that sees the Animated Feature League go toe-to-toe with the Fatal Five (and with a likely team-up with the Legion to follow) :cool:.

Batman: Hush has been an adaption that's been discussed for a while now, and it's one of the major Batman stories that has yet to receive a proper adaption, so I'm curious to see how they'll handle this. I know Kevin Conroy has teased an involvement, or at least a desire to be involved, with a Hush adaption so that might be an indicator of an Elseworlds film ala Gotham By Gaslight...although they also mention the in-continuity Death of Superman film :confused:.

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines is the real curve-ball though. I think it's awesome that we finally have another animated Wonder Woman film, but I'm really eager to see what they do with it and what the story will be (let alone whether it's in-continuity or not) :anime:.

Bestmand902

But if Bruce Timm is the lead producer of Wonder Woman: Bloodlines I hope to see his designs like he did with Batman and Harley Quinn.

Eh, you're free to have your opinions. I just don't trust him with female characters after The Killing Joke

Dreyfus

I haven't seen that one, but didn't Brian Azarello take the heat for the Batgirl stuff?

Frontier

Staff member
I think now more then ever the quality of Timm's work depends a lot on his collaborators.

If he can work with a good screenwriter or someone who can properly adapt a work or story, then I think the work as a whole will be all the better for it.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Minor point, but here's a recording of the Death of Superman panel portion where they announced the new movies.

Also, I'm a little surprised the rumored "Red Son" isn't one of next year's titles. But the biggest and most pleasant surprise is the new Wonder Woman movie. Hopefully it won't disappoint. Honestly, I am looking forward to all the new titles, even if there's not too many details about them yet.

Frontier

Staff member
Minor point, but here's a recording of the Death of Superman panel portion where they announced the new movies.

Also, I'm a little surprised the rumored "Red Son" isn't one of next year's titles. But the biggest and most pleasant surprise is the new Wonder Woman movie. Hopefully it won't disappoint. Honestly, I am looking forward to all the new titles, even if there's not too many details about them yet.
It's kind of awesome to think that all three of the Trinity will have their own movie next year, which would be a big first :D.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I think now more then ever the quality of Timm's work depends a lot on his collaborators.

If he can work with a good screenwriter or someone who can properly adapt a work or story, then I think the work as a whole will be all the better for it.
That probably explains the lopsided nature of Batman And Harley Quinn. Co-writer Jim Krieg only wrote a bit of it while Bruce Timm wrote pretty much everything else. Compare that to Batman: Gotham By Gaslight, which Jim wrote on his own with Bruce Timm and Sam Liu as the main producers (and it's better received)

Frontier

Staff member
I'm not exactly sure if this recording session was actually happening now (or for which Justice League-related project this is), but Christopher Gorham posted this on Instagram.
I'm guessing since he hopes he doesn't get in trouble for this that it's probably at least post-DoS, although we don't know if the League is in Reign of the Supermen...

But Gorham has been one of the movie VA's who have been pretty consistent about reprisals since the start, so I wouldn't rule out Flash being in Justice League vs. The Fatal Five :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm not exactly sure if this recording session was actually happening now (or for which Justice League-related project this is), but Christopher Gorham posted this on Instagram.
That could be related to Tucker's tweet that this past week they started recording on the 21st movie he's produced since starting on the DTV line with Superman: Unbound.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It would be pretty cool if this was somehow a solo Flash movie (or at the very least, a story focusing on Flash, given the "Justice League" hashtag...)

Frontier

Staff member
It would be pretty cool if this was somehow a solo Flash movie (or at the very least, a story focusing on Flash, given the "Justice League" hashtag...)
Setting aside the surprises like JL vs. FF, I would think the likely movies they would fast-track would be something with Aquaman and Shazam in them since they have movies coming out in the immediate future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts