PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Maybe in hindsight Butch should've just partnered up with Netflix or Frederator

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Dudley

Staff member
Maybe in hindsight Butch should've just partnered up with Netflix or Frederator

He really should have. But he really wanted to create a platform he has control over.
Though I think it’s dumb, I hope Oaxis succeeds for his sake, because I’d it fails after all this, trolls will never let him live it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick Mick

Now forget and be content ♥
The evidence keeps stacking up...
OK, that's really dumb.

First of all, this response is on Twitch. It's nitpick but still, it can't be taken as seriously.

Also, this guy has a huge problem with criticism. Like, he equals people who tell him to use his logic, with trolling! And that's the thing, we don't tell him that because we want him to fail. Make new animated shows, make Imaginathan, make Splatapus, make an animation streaming service, violate the use of tags in YouTube, use clickbait, BUT a service entirely dedicated to families in a world where people use Netflix, which is for all demographics, is not a carefully made step, and is dommed to fail. Also, I wouldn't be bothered as much, if he just said "You know what, you guys may think I don't have a plan, but the truth is that I have, and that it takes time for a streaming service to be built". It wouldn't be great, but it still would be better than that recent one, and we would know he has somewhat of a plan!

Oh, and I think that in my opinion, the worst thing with Butch's kickstarter, is that this is the FIRST one in a series of them. And it took Butch 30 days to tell us that this one would be for the site's template!!!!! I mean, even people who defend criticism, saying that what he says about 600 people donating 99$ each ("maybe it's a logical amount as a lot of his subscribers may be adults"), and that he's a childhood creator ("it's also done by more people as a marketing tactic") is right (which is understandable; everyone has the right to say his opinion), will get angry once they learn that! Which will also indicate another reason to get instantly angry, the fact that (I know I start sounding like a broken record) he has no PLAN or even names attached to it, which makes most of the kickstarter suspicious! And if that's not the case, and people still donate money to him, then... they are brainwashed. OK, I know that ruins the purpose of the freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean that it's not up to his fans to give him limitations, and eventually, make him come to the very grounds of reality.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
So, it turns out that Oaxis is a Christian streaming service--something Butch has not disclosed.

Nick Mick

Lol, I was ready to post it. XD

Anyway, while I agree with most stuff Pieguy said in this video, I think that this "converting kids into christianity" theory, is a bit lazy. For me, this speech he made at a seminar, gives me the impression that this guy has no plans for his streaming service, and that he tries to be as manipulative as possible. And granted, manipulative and terribly shameful things include always blaming television for natural feelings like depression and suicide, and telling people that this service will be for everyone, when it's really just based on christian values and he wants money, but converting kids into christianity comes as kid of an overreaction of Pieguyrulz.

Though he points out something terribly obvious: if Butch wants people to know what's really going on, if he really uses manipulative tactics or not, he should first SIT DOWN, and RESPOND LIKE A DAMN MAN to whatever we've said, and THEN call us trollers (again, this still wouldn't be right, but it would have been better than this mess, if it can even be called like that anymore, he has created).

ToonJay723

Staff member
"When I grew up if kids had a hard time they got through it, suicide has never been thought about."

What an awful human being.

Not to mention he only just now mentioned it was going to be a Christian service right before it hit his goal. During the Kickstarter he did Q&A streams, and lots of people would constantly asking will it include LGBT content or if they would be excluded. Butch conveniently ignored every single question about that, just so he could get money from that community and people who support that community.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
"When I grew up if kids had a hard time they got through it, suicide has never been thought about."

Agreed. Eff him.
Not to mention he only just now mentioned it was going to be a Christian service right before it hit his goal. During the Kickstarter he did Q&A streams, and lots of people would constantly asking will it include LGBT content or if they would be excluded. Butch conveniently ignored every single question about that, just so he could get money from that community and people who support that community.
That is the definition of bait and switch.

Zeether

HASSHA!!
"Cable made TV bad"

Butch, you worked for a Viacom owned cable channel for 10+ years and you're saying this? Or was this before you whacked your head on something and started to have epiphanies?

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
hypocrisymeter.jpg

Dudley

Staff member

I figured this was the case the whole time but I never wanted to say it to avoid starting up rumors, and it being such a touchy subject.
Being a very overt Christian, I honestly think Butch left Nick and didn’t want to join Netflix or the other platforms was because they don’t live up to his Christian values, so he created Oaxis as a platform that will. And of course that means no LGBT content or representation of any kind. Of course Butch knows that being anti-LGBT on the internet is going to cause a lot of unwanted stir, so he avoided mentioning it.

I mean it was kind of obvious. He’s a devout Christian, and claims that there’s no place for a platform that’s good for families, after leaving NICKELODEON, and didn’t go to Disney afterwards?

Nick Mick

So, it turns out that Oaxis is a Christian streaming service--something Butch has not disclosed.

Let's discuss some other stuff said in his speech

Starting with the fact, he thinks his cartoons are masterpieces. Let aside the Oaxis thing, I really like Butch. But just because I do, that doesn't mean whatever he has made is good. The only shows I would call masterpieces, or effective, are the first seasons (1-6) of Fairly OddParents and Danny Phantom. After all, these shows captured well the sense of humor Butch had in the past, which is similar to the taste of other animation industry veterans, like Jeff "Swampy" Marsh, and ALSO had at times to deal with real-life issues. However, not only FOP got all the way downhill in later seasons, as a result of Butch's attempt to hammer in every tired old joke he could think, but there was TUFF Puppy, which despite being ggood, was quite forgettable for most people, and Bunsen is a Beast, which was another attempt at hammering in most old jokes, and despite me giving it always the benefit of the doubt, it was also forgettable for most people. So, yeah, you may had been a fun cartoonist, and had helped people with their careers, most notably Seth MacFarlern, but calling your whole career a series of masterpieces would be a bit too much.

Also, that television ruined our culture theory. It's hilarious. I mean, granted, television has played a major role in getting glued into devices that have no soul, resulting also in a partly downgrade of quality and TERRIBLE shows where showbiz and lying rules, but the ironical part is that this new OAXIS Entertainment, will make people not glued on the tv screen, but glued on the computer screen, and it comes from a guy, that even though he claims to make this so people can have a clear image of who's running the company, doesn't have the least bit courage to give a clear image of what's going on, and of the people this service is aimed at.

ALSO, why is violence THAT inappropiate? I personally don't have a problem if there are such things in movies that tell a coherent story or try to show life values. Though I agree with the fact the original MTV shows, including the sin itself, Jersey Shore, now mostly show nudity for the sake of showing it. (let aside the video clips they rightfully show 24-hours on MTV Rocks f.e.)

Also, what he says about scary commercials on tv, is illogical. Like, for a really terrible commercial with nudity and violence, the parents of the family must have tuned in a station mainly showing such themes. It's like he says he saw once a violent commercial on Baby TV. This arguement can also, make people use parent control. When I first installed my cable tv provider, I could choose which channels I could remove, and put a code to unlock them. So yeah, let aside regular tv stations, in which what he said can happen sometimes (though then again, those violent programmes still show up at late night, a time when a lot of children sleep), cable tv providers and streaming services are a helpful way of controling the viewing experience of our children.

He mentions the fact kids spent nowadays too much time with their phones, and watching streaming services, which he claims that despite having a kids section, push mostly the violent, racist shows. Again, not only shows with graphic scenes like Stranger Things and Death Note (not the reboot) tell coherent stories, and are beautifully made, but I've personally seen Netflix ALSO pushing kids shows like the Magic School Bus one, which even though is terrible, it's at the very least harmless for its intended audience. Maybe it would make sense if he was against shows that have violence and nudity for the sake of having them, which then again, would be pointless, as they don't get nearly as much popularity.

He ENTIRELY BLAMES TELEVISION for suicide. What?!? Dude, suicide and depression for children was always a thing! And there are even shows with graphic violence, that show how hard life can be, so that we can aceept it as a natural thing, and with the help of our family and friends, can get over, and go on with our lives (take that episode of Big City Greens, a kids show, for example, where Cricket tries to accept and overcome his fear of using the high dive in a swimming pool) I mean, computers and smartphones have kinda played a part in suicide, but entirely putting the blame on them is sick.

He goes on to actually explain the name of the service (and that's funny, part of the name is taken from oasis, a place that seems to be an exotic place with anything you wanted, when it's not really there), and he shows the logo (with a X that (not related to Butch) reminds me of the one in the XNA framework logo).

Oh, and I agree with him. For someone not to be honest with his loyal followers, he has to start somewhere. And he mentions that "parents can put their kids in front of Oaxis". Again, they will be glued in the computer screen, which doesn't make much of a difference.

He goes on presenting this like a charity of saving families, as Pieguy pointed out, which is terribly manipulative. I mean, come on. The majority of entertainment shows which is good, especially the kids ones, aren't bad or not promoted enough, at a point where families NEED TO BE SAVED.

And things get way more confusing as the video goes on, with Butch saying that this service will be for everyone (even though he stated in a livestream that this will show christian values; and because he hasn't said a word about this since then, I have the right to assume he doesn't have the courage to say the truth, if we are wrong or not), and that it will be hip and cool, so it can reach everyone. But wait, hip and cool stuff is usually made from people that just want to be famous and don't give a damn about entertainment, and real people taht want to save families, would just care about doing their job right, as I assume.

What's also funny, is that he even puts GAMES on it, even tough he hasn't really been having an experience with them, and there's ALREADY a gaming service as he says, Twitch. (but okay, LET'S just give it the benefit of the doubt there, that's the least worrying thing) He also puts reality and drama shows (whch is strange, because most of them are actually what Butch claims to be this awful systems that controls TV), news...... fitness.... home and gar--- HAHAHA. Good jesus, does he evenn know about this stuff?????

Oh, and there's that User Upload thing. Yeah, just like YouTube, there will be no way to not bypass whatever filter Butch throw to the system. And I love how he talks abut misleading stuff on YT, when the guy himself has been using in almost every single of his videos, misleading tags.

Aaaaaalso, he goes on about how this platform will win awards (even though it's not made yet, and he has no plan).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall............... no, no, I can't make a complete image of this. He may be scummy, manipulative, good-hearted but terrible at running kickstarters.....

Nick Mick

Even the site of the "ghost company" (no DP pun intended) doesn't have much actual info (if this ever popped up as an ad, I would think it's an usual scam). Oh, and the page's name is wrong (OAXS).

https://www.oaxis.tv/

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I dont even care that its going to be Christian based( though I dont care how he views mental health), the guy shouldve been honest and transparent about it.

Nick Mick

I dont even care that its going to be Christian based( though I dont care how he views mental health), the guy shouldve been honest and transparent about it.

That's what we and PiegUy perfectly point out. It's fine to be in whatever religion you want. But when you lie that this will be for everyone, just so you can take the money... that's the problem. And I have the right to say that all this mess is his very own fault, as long as he doesn't say a thing to respond to this, as he thinks we are trollers.

---------------------------------------------------

BTW, can you people spread the word about this video?

MegasMilo379

Finally.
I've read all posts about Oaxis so far, and I still can't make out a single stream of sense about this that I can wrap my head around.

If Hartman wanted to make his own streaming service (which in the age of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and even PureFlix, is not easy), he should've at least been as clear as possible about the idea, concept and programming from day one. Plus, to have an ambition for something you want to create, you got to create and develop ideas and then discuss them to see any flaws to iron out for even revealing them to your inner circle. He did none of that.

The Christian streaming concept and programming is good in my book. The fact that he didn't reveal this to the Kickstarter page donors certainly wasn't. I can understand no one would want to support a cartoon guy they've known about since childhood making a platform showcasing ripoffs of Superbook and The Flying House (shows that exist that I (also a Christian) have watched a lot during my childhood), but had he disclose that from the get go, I'm sure a new base of people who would've loved and appreciate a service like this would've gave their money to him and start a subscription. But it was still deceiving, a big turnoff for me.

Plus his ego definitely got the best of him here. While opinions of his service were cool to give, even if a lot of them IMO were a bit overblown, Hartman's reactions were unacceptable. I get he was overwhelmed by the seemingly negative reception by many of his (now former) fans about it, but from what I've read most of them were just constructive criticism and he could've been more grownup about that, instead of whining off and blocking people on social media. Also a big turnoff.

The fact that people gave him money for something to show off more of his works (which after the last half of Fairly OddParents and the whole of Bunsen is a Beast (although underrated) isn't worth my time) and he replied with a service that isn't what they hoped for is pretty much a lie without it being one or a downright lie (depending on your view) is the near the bottom of my anger and bafflement of the topic.

He said in his announcement video that TELEVISION is to blame for his leaving to start Oaxis. This despite him working in television for OVER A DECADE!! He also said he hates violence and cursing in watching TV shows, this despite the violence in all of his shows (slapstick yes, but still) and jokes involving almost cursing too.
And he said something that suicide that pissed me off. There are children in this world that go through painful, heartbreaking issues in their young lives that cause them to contemplate suicide. Yes, it is heartwrenching to think about--let alone talk about. But it happens. And to hear him say such hokum made me furious and cry a little.

I wanted it see Oaxis successful because I as a kid and TV lover liked Hartman and loved his works, but after ONE HOUR of reading this thread so far, I could care less about him (and I will) cause he lost me as a fan.

Dudley

Staff member
Butch Hartman has been misleading for a long time, he was misleading about YooToons, but the biggest example is his clickbait video titles. Talking about his time working at Disney and Cartoon Network, by making it seem he’s currently working there now, and other crap.

I’m glad this is all coming to a head.
And if he’s against violence, than what does he expect to do with an action series like Imaginathan.
This guy is straight up lying. It’s disgusting and shameful what he’s doing.

Milofan30

Butch has detailed three of the new animated series that will be on Oaxis:

- Dyna Mice, a TMNT-esque show about three superhero mice that fight crime;

- Imaginathan, a "Danny Phantom-esque" animated show about a kid named Nathan whose father invents a device that allows thoughts to become reality. It will be animated anime style, feature a over-arcing story, and is based on a show from the Noog Network;

- Splatapus, a part FOP, part SpongeBob super-cartoony Bugs Bunny-esque show following a little guy name Splat.
Hmm I could have sworn Cartoon Network had a live action show like that.

I don't know about this, Butches Hartman's writing kind of went down hill.

Also, I guess this was the next best thing for him to do, seemed no other Network would higher him.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Out of everything that came from this video, his comment about suicide was by far the worst. The whole "kids just toughed it out instead of committing suicide back in my day" is just awful. Either he has forgotten what it can feel like to be a kid or his life was so well off that he didn't go through any difficult challenges as a child. Both are sadly good possibilities. I absolutely hated being told to just tough it out/deal with it, so that response to problems won't work for a lot of kids. There are also plenty of reasons why kids would be driven to suicide. Schools are awful, there are plenty of terrible teachers, bullies exist and there are emotionally/physically abusive parents out there. Not to mention just having depression in itself can push people to suicide.

All of that existed before television came around. We just didn't have the kind of understanding of mental health issues back then as we do now. It is dangerously close, if not identical, to the whole notion that autism didn't exist before vaccines and thus people think vaccines cause autism, which might be another reason why it bothers me so much.

Now I don't have a problem with wanting his streaming platform to be Christian based. I'm not particularly religious myself, but as long as he isn't being disrespectful towards other people, then there shouldn't be an issue with putting out Christian values in his Oaxis channel. The issue comes from not being upfront about it because, as he put it in the video, he needed to get the non-religious people into the concept. He has made pretty blatant click bait before with his videos, but I thought it wouldn't mean that he'd try to misdirect people for his Kickstarter since that actually required getting people's money. That's a huge problem because it makes him come off as dishonest. I wouldn't blame anyone who backed him up on Kickstarter to be upset because they gave their money to a project that he wasn't completely upfront about.

And most of his other comments just confused me. He doesn't like that kids spent hours on their tablets, so he's going to make a streaming service where they can watch on their tablets even more? I know that he wants shows that are only family friendly with Christian values on Oaxis, which would mean that they're watching wholesome content, but it still doesn't change that they'll be spending more time on their devices. And the thinks that cable destroyed television, or at least the ability for families to watch TV shows together, even though there are plenty of family friendly shows throughout the last few decades and his success has come from working with Nickelodeon, which is a cable channel, for years? I know that there are a lot of non-family friendly shows that are popular nowadays, but I don't think that there aren't any shows out there that kids can watch with their parents. Even the notion that kids were becoming more suicidal because of television is strange on top of being insulting because I don't think kids just started to commit suicide after seeing more violent on TV. Mental health issues are more complicated than that.

I already thought he had a huge ego after the last couple of videos, but he was saying how Oaxis is going to save families and lives. When this was first announced, I just thought he was passionate for what he wanted to do, which may still be true to a certain degree, but he also just thinks too much of himself, brushes off anyone who disagrees with him as being a bully when in fact he is the one using bully tactics and comes off as an absolute terrible person. I feel even worse for giving him the benefit of the doubt with the other video because his true colors are really starting to show here. I wasn't actively hoping that his Oaxis platform would fail, but now I kind of do after showing himself to be a dishonest person who would rather blame television for kids committing suicide instead of understanding anything about mental health problems.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts