New "Rugrats" News & Discussion Thread

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Nick has announced that they have revived Rugrats for 26 episodes as well as a live action/CGI hybrid feature film (though discussion for the latter would be for the Entertainment Board). Arlene Klasky, Gábor Csupó, and Paul Germain will return as executive producers on the revival. Production is already underway with casting, a premiere date, and other stuff to be announced in the coming months.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...m-new-nickelodeon-series-feature-film-1127473

Last edited:

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
I'm not exactly surprised at this move, but I am disappointed. And that's because, to be frank, of the Nicktoons that least deserve a revival, this is at the top of the list for me. Maybe I'm just biased because I straight up wasn't allowed to watch the original show as a kid, but I really don't think a show that ran for well over a decade and many argue went through seasonal rot two-thirds in merits a revival like this. It's like, what can even still be done with the concept when the original series already had more episodes than stories to tell?

I guess it doesn't help that it just perpetuates my concern that Nick seems to be relying much more on nostalgia than actual current animated properties. If they keep reviving everything while pushing shows like Wayne to the sidelines, they basically won't have a legacy this decade other than "trying to relive the 90s".

And yes, this cynicism does mostly come from the fact that I don't really have much interest in the property at all. It's more the principle than the actual quality.

Vaughn Max

I'm not exactly surprised at this move, but I am disappointed. And that's because, to be frank, of the Nicktoons that least deserve a revival, this is at the top of the list for me. Maybe I'm just biased because I straight up wasn't allowed to watch the original show as a kid, but I really don't think a show that ran for well over a decade and many argue went through seasonal rot two-thirds in merits a revival like this. It's like, what can even still be done with the concept when the original series already had more episodes than stories to tell?

I guess it doesn't help that it just perpetuates my concern that Nick seems to be relying much more on nostalgia than actual current animated properties. If they keep reviving everything while pushing shows like Wayne to the sidelines, they basically won't have a legacy this decade other than "trying to relive the 90s".

And yes, this cynicism does mostly come from the fact that I don't really have much interest in the property at all. It's more the principle than the actual quality.
Maybe they're pushing Wayne to the sidelines so they can revive it 20 years later or something

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

ToonJay723

Staff member
Glad to see Paul Germain is returning as well. Though I guess Dil won't be coming back since Germain doesn't like him. I'm confident with a 15 year break they'll have some fresh ideas for the show.

Vaughn Max

Glad to see Paul Germain is returning as well. Though I guess Dil won't be coming back since Germain doesn't like him. I'm confident with a 15 year break they'll have some fresh ideas for the show.
What about Kimi?

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
Maybe they're pushing Wayne to the sidelines so they can revive it 20 years later or something

Nah, there's this unwritten rule that a franchise has to be well-recognized in order to merit a revival. As is, Wayne is by zero stretch well-known, so unless it gets an Invader Zim-tier cult following, they simply won't do that. They'll just keep reviving 90s properties until they run out.

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Yeah, I’m not sure how to feel about this. I like the show, but it didn’t need a revival (or a live-action/CGI movie, but I’d like to see how that works).

Vaughn Max

Nah, there's this unwritten rule that a franchise has to be well-recognized in order to merit a revival. As is, Wayne is by zero stretch well-known, so unless it gets an Invader Zim-tier cult following, they simply won't do that. They'll just keep reviving 90s properties until they run out.
Invader Zim wasn't well known when it came out

LinusFan303

Squeak
This shocked me , Rugrats is my favorite Nicktoon. I am more surprised they doing a revival there's not much more I think they can do. That move sounds ummm interesting. Nice they got the original 3 creators back together for it. Personally , unless they DO something with Dil this time, I hope they don't but who knows.

zoombie

I would prefer a next generation sequel over a reboot myself, but we will see what we get.

zoombie

Like the Rugrats having their own rugrats or a new set of rugrats unrelated to the Rugrats?

The old Rugrats having their own Rugrats. I don't have other details, one thing I would do is have Chuckie and Angelica married each other, have a kid(s) and are now divorced. And do something with divorced, something the old show never did.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I was so glad with The Jungle Movie. (Well, I still have to see it actually, after I have seen all 100 HA episodes. Currently at episode 40 :D )

Invader Zim also deserved it... Not a fan of it but still, it deserved it with such a large fanbase for so many years.

Rugrats? What? I never understood the appeal of this show. It's just about babies. 172 episodes and 3 movies seemed like more than enough...

Who is the new president of Nickelodeon anyway?! I am quite disappointed. But it's Nick. Come on, Red Arrow, it's Nickelodeon. What did you expect...
I straight up wasn't allowed to watch the original show as a kid
Why not?

LinusFan303

Squeak
The old Rugrats having their own Rugrats. I don't have other details, one thing I would do is have Chuckie and Angelica married each other, have a kid(s) and are now divorced. And do something with divorced, something the old show never did.
It would have been interesting to see them "All Grown Up" even more.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts