Disney's Vikingskøøl (News And Discussion Thread)

Chevistian C

6QES6X2.png

New Animated Series By Cartoon Saloon Made For Disney!

Targeting 6-11 year-olds, “Vikingskool” had been on Disney’s radar for some time. Originally pitched towards more mature audiences, Ross was impressed and kept the proposed series in mind on the chance it could be adapted to Disney’s demographic.

The series is being produced by Ireland’s Cartoon Saloon (“The Secret of Kells,” “The Breadwinner”) and France’s Samka Productions (“Jamie’s Got Tentacles”) with post-production from Norwegian VFX company Storm Films. It’s this pedigree that prompted Ross to explain to Variety: “There is a substantial Viking history in Ireland and Northern France. As a co-production we can say it’s the only Viking show made by actual Vikings.”

The series will follow a group of young would-be Viking warriors in an elite Vikingskool. Ross described the alumni as being “Like freshmen in ‘Top Gun,’ but for Vikings.”

The group will embark on a series of humorous and exciting adventures in a mystical world. At the heart of the tale are three best friends: Erik, Arnie and Ilba, each with their own unique Viking strengths and weaknesses.

The series’ 26 half-hours are scheduled for broadcast at the end of 2019.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
This looks very inserting and from the people who did Secret of Kells , Song of the Sea that's even better.

Lemanic

As a ”Viking” myself (West Coast of Sweden), I’m quite intrigued. Hopes it has a Hemmingway feel in the script then.

TargetmasterJoe

New Poster
DgkssgkU8AAEi97.jpg

I can't help but wonder if that poster was photoshopped to have those Disney logos...

In any case, I am so onboard for this! And hey, I know this show has only been announced in recent history, but is anyone else loving the redheaded girl? Because I totally am! I'm just a sucker for great character designs and this is no exception!

At the heart of the tale are three best friends: Erik, Arnie and Ilba,

I could've sworn I read that some of the characters were named Olaf (one of the guys) and Ylva (the girl). In fact, looking up "Ilba" at a website called "Behind the Name" shows me nothing. "Ylva", on the other hand, is actually Norwegian (or Swedish?) for "she-wolf", which sounds more fitting judging by appearances...

EDIT: Source regarding the meaning of Ylva: https://www.behindthename.com/name/ylva

Last edited:

TargetmasterJoe

Disney UK says Olaf, Ylva and Ani. Other sources say Erik, Ilba and Arnie.

Ilba is not a Scandavian name and I doubt Arnie is one either.

Did some digging a while ago and apparently "Ani" is a feminine name. It's possible this is a "little of both" scenario and these names apply for more than just the main three characters. The image on the first post shows 2 girls, so while the redhead is (probably) Ylva, the one further to the right is "Ani" while "Olaf" and "Erik" could apply to the 2 boys.

I recall one source somewhere that read their teacher's name is apparently Mr. Berserker. That'd be a pretty hilarious and fitting name for a Viking teacher. :D

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
It comes from the Roman name Anna, which comes from Greek Ἄννα (Hanna), which means grace or gracious.

There are many variations of this name.

TargetmasterJoe

It comes from the Roman name Anna, which comes from Greek Ἄννα (Hanna), which means grace or gracious.

There are many variations of this name.

Alright, I see what you're getting at. In fact, "Ani" as a name kinda makes me think of Little Orphan Annie and Anne of Green Gables and they're both outgoing red-headed girls, so I can imagine Ani here is just as outgoing as those two.

Ha, kinda amazing how we've got the slimmest of info on this show thus far and we still manage to find something to talk about.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.

Featured Posts