"DC Universe" Digital Service - Animation News and Discussion (Spoilers)

Dreyfus

Wonder Woman rebirth is there. So, it can be assumed comics will be included along with the film and tv backlog

Saw that too, but how many/which comics is now the question. I'm hoping it's a DC version of Marvel Unlimited, with almost all of the back catalog, minus current issues.

DonTrashRoom

Have a nice trip, see you next fall
Some of the legacy DC content coming to DC Universe:
  • Batman: the Animated Series
  • Wonder Woman (1970s TV series)
  • Lois & Clark
  • Super Friends
  • Batman Begins
  • the Christopher Reeve Superman movies
I am personally not expecting Teen Titans to be available, since I believe Cartoon Network wants to keep the rights to that show. (See also: #79 on http://boomlist.surge.sh)

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Spotted this AM: scroll to the bottom of their pre-release / promo site and there's a field for signing up for beta testing the DC Universe site. It's not a guarantee you'll get it, but if it interests you it's worth a shot. Just need a valid email.

https://www.dcuniverse.com/coming-soon/

I've been squinting at imagery on the DC Universe site (within the spoiler tag). Looks like these toons are confirmed 100% by it:

Max Fleischer Superman (it's up on the top left ceiling. Easy to miss. The image seems to coincide with the cover art for the DVD set I have)
Batman: The Animated Series
Justice League
Batman Beyond
Green Lantern: First Flight
Superman vs the Elite
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
Harley Quinn + Young Justice: Outsiders (duh)

Then there's Mask of the Phantasm from the teaser video yesterday...probably other things

From this, we can speculate that most or all of the DCAU continuity will be on there at launch or that it is going to be. The various DC DTV movies seem very likely, the only question to me is whether they give the newer stuff a year or two on sale before they go there.

Not animation related, but I notice they're talking up Wonder Woman 77 in HD along with Batman TAS. Considering that Batman 66 has been on Blu-ray for awhile already, I'll be shocked if that isn't there as well.

Biggest question marks for me are if various retro toons get on there. And there shouldn't be much stopping them from putting on more modern catalog stuff like Static Shock and Legion of Superheroes, IMO

DgynzwPWAAAh41s.jpg

Mod Note: Double Post Merged

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreyfus

I don't like the "curated content" and "rotating selection" lines in the comic book section description. Makes it sound like stuff will come in and out. This also mentions "thousands" of comics "ranging from Action Comics #1 to Geoff Johns' Justice League", which is really vague to me, and not at all confidence inspiring. I already have enough issues with gaps in the Marvel Unlimited library, so I can only imagine what this will be like. I will wait to see how the beta run goes first.

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
This "announcement" doesn't tell us anything that yesterday didn't already. It'll have a backlog and comics, we knew that from the teaser. Would've been nice to get a date, a complete launch content list, or some new images from the shows.

the greenman

The fact they have films, tv, and comics all coupled with new content is enough. However, pricing is important at this point

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Spider-Man

I'm disappointed this is going to be U.S.-only, at least at the start. I understand there are likely rights issues involved but it still seems unfair to fans outside of the U.S.

I'm still looking forward to learning more and it's cool to hear that the Wonder Woman series will be an HD remaster which hopefully means a Blu-ray release.

TheGreatOne2

If DC Entertainment is goiing to restrict DC Universe to U.S only. They will lose out of money from non u.s fans like me and force ppl like me to go else where for young justice season 3, titans etc.

iammattie

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I wonder what the likelihood is that this would be the perfect outlet to bring back animated properties that got canceled too early. Maybe a finale for The Zeta Project IF it goes on there, and IF the stream numbers are good?

the greenman

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I wonder what the likelihood is that this would be the perfect outlet to bring back animated properties that got canceled too early. Maybe a finale for The Zeta Project IF it goes on there, and IF the stream numbers are good?
I can't see older fare like that. I can see stuff like Gods & Monsters and maybe whatever DCAU reunion they have planned.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
If DC Entertainment is goiing to restrict DC Universe to U.S only. They will lose out of money from non u.s fans like me and force ppl like me to go else where for young justice season 3, titans etc.
How can you purchase digital comics currently if at all? Hopefully, the U.S. release is also the test run and once they have glitches and what not smoothed over, they might try to roll out to other countries slowly.

Frontier

Staff member
How can you purchase digital comics currently if at all? Hopefully, the U.S. release is also the test run and once they have glitches and what not smoothed over, they might try to roll out to other countries slowly.
The cycling out of comics may also be DC testing how much they can incorporate or how much the access to comics will impact the service...

the greenman

The cycling out of comics may also be DC testing how much they can incorporate or how much the access to comics will impact the service...
Well, we can pretty much guarantee YJ comics will be on there. Maybe even the older BTAS animated tie in comics. I do realize that some services have incomplete runs. Not a fan of that.

I personally have incomplete runs of my Milestone books that I never completely finished and want to reread those on the service. Looks like Static is the last Milestone character there on this series.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts