"Star Trek: Lower Decks" News & Discussion Thread

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Looks like CBS is working on a new Star Trek cartoon series:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-trek/274336/star-trek-animated-series-in-the-works-at-cbs

So if CBS actually makes this Star Trek cartoon series, what would you want from it? Should it be aimed at a younger or older audience? Should it be set in the TOS era, TNG era or some other time entirely? Should it more action heavy or more cerebral in nature?

Star Trek can dark or light hearted depending on the story, stories about genocide can co-exist with with wacky comedy based episodes, so this series can be aimed at any demographic. Though I wonder if kids today might traditional Star Trek too slow paced for their tastes, Star Trek is not always about action and blowing away Klingon warships, etc.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Since CBS and National Amusements are suing each other, I think Nick is out.

Cartoon Network would jump at the idea of partnering with CBS on this show, since they no longer have Star Wars cartoons and CBS collaborates with other AT&T subsidiaries in other ventures.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Since CBS and National Amusements are suing each other, I think Nick is out.

Cartoon Network would jump at the idea of partnering with CBS on this show, since they no longer have Star Wars cartoons and CBS collaborates with other AT&T subsidiaries in other ventures.
Stop trying to make Star Trek and CN happen. It never will. :p

The article says CBS is making the cartoon so that means either CBS or CBS All Access. I'm betting the latter.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Stop trying to make Star Trek and CN happen. It never will. :p

The article says CBS is making the cartoon so that means either CBS or CBS All Access. I'm betting the latter.

Yeah, I can see CBS adding this CBS All Access to improve their library and make this service more attractive to bring more customers. There is a reason why Netflix has so many animated show.

It be interesting to see what Star Trek would do with a cartoon series with a real budget (rather then the tiny budget the 70s cartoon show had), I love Star Trek, but some of their alien designs are just guys with bumpy foreheads or something like that. I wouldn't change any design on the iconic Star Trek aliens (Klingons, Vulcans, Romulans, Cardassians, etc) but it be nice to see some more alien looking aliens. We could see more members of Species 8472 in a cartoon or more alien crew members, similar to Arex and M'Ress from the 70s cartoon.

PF9

What would be interesting is if the show was set in the Kelvin Universe. It's never had a TV show of its own and this would be the perfect opportunity for one and to bring back the OS characters on TV as well.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
What would be interesting is if the show was set in the Kelvin Universe. It's never had a TV show of its own and this would be the perfect opportunity for one and to bring back the OS characters on TV as well.

Not a bad idea, but I have heard there is some legal divisions over Star Trek between Paramount and CBS over who can use what and I heard CBS can't use the Kelvin universe in their TV shows.

Mandouga

You know, I'm thinking that "CBS" in this case means "CBS Television Distribution". I don't think Nickelodeon is entirely out of the question, but it would be a better idea if it aired somewhere else...

PF9

Not a bad idea, but I have heard there is some legal divisions over Star Trek between Paramount and CBS over who can use what and I heard CBS can't use the Kelvin universe in their TV shows.

Technically Paramount is making the Trek movies under license from CBS, so shouldn't that give CBS reciprocal rights to the Kelvin universe for TV?

Mandouga

Um, quick question; is this "Kelvin" universe the one that the three movies (Star Trek, Into Darkness, and Beyond), and possibly the TV-MA rated (just saying) Star Trek: Discovery set in (as opposed to the original "prime" universe)?

PF9

Discovery is set in the original ST universe. The Kelvin universe contains just the 3 movies released since 2009.

Mandouga

Oh, really? And yet, isn't it possible that DIscovery will ultimately become a setup for a remake of the original "5 year mission"? Because if it is, then that would make Discovery part of the "Kelvin" universe.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Oh, really? And yet, isn't it possible that DIscovery will ultimately become a setup for a remake of the original "5 year mission"? Because if it is, then that would make Discovery part of the "Kelvin" universe.
No, Discovery is definitely Original Timeline. One of the plans for Season 2 is to solidify it further into the original timeline since Season 1 played it a bit fast and loose.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I am reviving this thread because we are learning more about the animated Star Trek series that CBS is making:

Rick and Morty’s head writer is making an animated Star Trek series

I am not sure I like this, its going to be an adult comedy. I prefer Star Trek when it is more dramatic. I would worry that they will make this show into the misadventures of Ensign Beer Bong or something like that.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It seems like lately Star Trek can't do anything right. First Tarantino, now this.

I liked Discovery well enough, I am looking forward to the second season of that and the Picard show.

Its just Star Trek has rarely done comedy well, usually any attempts to do comedy in Star Trek falls flat. Having an entire adult comedy Star Trek cartoon sounds dicey. I think having a Star Trek adventure show aimed at kids makes sense, get some younger people invested in the franchise, especially since Discovery is not really suitable for kids.

Orville is already a raunchy Star Trek style comedy show, what does this cartoon bring to the table?

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Right, like Filmation did in the early 1970s...or maybe you're referring to some other kind of show.

The 70s cartoon had some production problems, pretty bad animation and a tiny voice cast made up almost entirely of the TOS cast (most of the female characters were voiced by either Nichelle Nichols or Majel Barrett).

But plot wise, that show had some good TOS Star Trek flavored episodes: Yesteryear filled in Spock's back story pretty well and something like the The Magicks of Megas-tu was a fun episode that did have interesting subject matter, an alien that might be the devil and the Salem witch trials. Sure like all Star Trek series, it had some bad episodes, but it was one of the more intelligent cartoon series of the 70s.

I think most Star Trek shows and movies are suitable for kids and thus I think you can easily repackage Star Trek in an animated show for kids, but with better production values then the 70s cartoon. I would prefer that to trying to turn Star Trek into Rick and Morty.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So does anyone think this Star Trek adult comedy is a good idea or can work?

the greenman

So does anyone think this Star Trek adult comedy is a good idea or can work?
Not sure. It feels like with this idea and Tarantino they are trying too hard to be hip and edgy. I think with Abrams Kelvin-verse they did it; problem is the guy doesn't "know" Star Trek. It's a bigger and deeper discussion and ideology about how much do you love what you know about versus how much you know about that you which you love.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I wonder if CBS is making an adult comedy Star Trek series because they think a serious cartoon aimed at adults would be redundant with their live action Star Trek content output and I think Star Trek is too dry for kids (The Next Generation had a lot of scenes of the Enterprise crew debating morality in a conference room, kids might think a Star Trek cartoon is boring unless the Enterprise is blowing up Romulan ships every episode, defeating the point of the franchise).

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts