Indiegogo campaign for "Growing Around" pilot (by Mr. Enter)

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
At some point, you may have heard of a cartoon reviewer known as the Mysterious Mr. Enter. He's a pretty polarizing figure, to put it lightly, even if his reception has become more positive over time as he developed, both on and off YouTube.

But even if you don't really appreciate the guy's work, I firmly believe you should take a look at his real passion project: "Growing Around", a cartoon about a world where kids rule over adults and what such a society would entail. He has spent four years perfecting the concept, and has now opened an Indiegogo crowdfund to bring the idea to life in the form of a pilot.

I personally believe this has a lot of potential, and while the goal is obviously a tall order (which is to be expected, given the scope of the project), it's certainly not impossible and with a lot of effort just might have a chance of making it. Below is the link, so check it out and spread the word if you like what you see.

Nick Mick

Now forget and be content ♥
Having seen Mr. Enter's videos a lot over the past years, I will say that I really sympathize him. He can be quite gentle, and make good points about a lot of cartoons, even if some times says things I personally don't agree with and make him sound kinda hypocritical.

And in my opinion, Growing Around will be a perfect show. At first, I had doubts about it, because the premise wasn't really explained. But after seeing the video on the campaign page, I'll say that I WISH from my heart to have his goal achieved, even if that isn't 100% possible. It's just the fact that this premise, is a really good one, and since his reviews may not always show that he fully understands them, but do show how he could take care a show of his very own, I can't see something going dead wrong.

Toon4Thought

Having seen Mr. Enter's videos a lot over the past years, I will say that I really sympathize him. He can be quite gentle, and make good points about a lot of cartoons, even if some times says things I personally don't agree with and make him sound kinda hypocritical.

And in my opinion, Growing Around will be a perfect show. At first, I had doubts about it, because the premise wasn't really explained. But after seeing the video on the campaign page, I'll say that I WISH from my heart to have his goal achieved, even if that isn't 100% possible. It's just the fact that this premise, is a really good one, and since his reviews may not always show that he fully understands them, but do show how he could take care a show of his very own, I can't see something going dead wrong.
Tell anyone you think may be interested about it then. And ask them to do the same. It definitely needs a lot of support to happen.

SuperSuck64

Misanthrope Supreme
Unpopular opinion, but I think this is doomed to failure.

No matter what he'd like you to believe, Enter doesn't know a thing about animation or how the industry works. And even if he did, no network or streaming platform would ever support this if they took one look at his online history. The animation industry is not going to help you if you've spent the past several years insulting nearly everyone in it.

The only good thing I can see coming out of this is Enter deciding to focus all his attention onto Growing Around and we never have to endure another review from him.

Nick Mick

Another unpopular opinion: I think his reviews are alright.

I mean, yeah, he insults sometimes people from the animation industry, like Zeus Cervas, but hey, the Nostalgia Critic also blames people like Joel Schumacher for The Wiz and Batman & Robin. And while I like how he doesn't do that anymore (because even if the intentions were overexaggerating-like, he came out as too aggressive), his reviews have still good points (while some others don't, like the Finally a Lesson one).

Though we know one thing for sure: If a company ever saw his online history, he would never get support.

Toon4Thought

And even if he did, no network or streaming platform would ever support this if they took one look at his online history. The animation industry is not going to help you if you've spent the past several years insulting nearly everyone in it.
He specifically wants to avoid putting this on a network though to ensure full creative control, so that's kind of irrelevant in this particular case.
Also, for the most part he directly stopped insulting people in 2015.

I mean, yeah, he insults sometimes people from the animation industry, like Zeus Cervas, but hey, the Nostalgia Critic also blames people like Joel Schumacher for The Wiz and Batman & Robin. Though we know one thing for sure: If a company ever saw his online history, he would never get support.
The difference here is that Mr. Enter went... well beyond disliking their work, and took their work to interpret how they are in real life. It really is amazing how far he's come over time.
What you said about companies is probably true, but I find that's a shame because all the things he's become infamous for are things that he's learned from and stopped doing years ago. I feel he shouldn't be held accountable for such mistakes today if he's improved from them.

SuperSuck64

Misanthrope Supreme
He specifically wants to avoid putting this on a network though to ensure full creative control, so that's kind of irrelevant in this particular case.
Somehow I don't see this working out. With very rare exceptions (such as Homestar Runner), fully independent online animations, especially at the quality he wants, are very hard to maintain. Mugman and Doodle Toons tried to do this, albeit with much lower (though by no means bad) animation quality, but even with extra help the creators lost the drive to do it. So unless Enter is extremely determined and the artists and animators he's hired are willing to put up with him, I feel the same thing may happen to Growing Around. Not to mention YouTube's algorithm is designed to screw you over unless you upload constantly, which non-storytime animators simply can't do.

Toon4Thought

Somehow I don't see this working out. With very rare exceptions (such as Homestar Runner), fully independent online animations, especially at the quality he wants, are very hard to maintain. Mugman and Doodle Toons tried to do this, albeit with much lower (though by no means bad) animation quality, but even with extra help the creators lost the drive to do it. So unless Enter is extremely determined and the artists and animators he's hired are willing to put up with him, I feel the same thing may happen to Growing Around. Not to mention YouTube's algorithm is designed to screw you over unless you upload constantly, which non-storytime animators simply can't do.
That's fair. It doesn't help that his reviews seem to be releasing at a slower and slower rate overtime, even further skewing the algorithm against him.

disneyphilip

Unpopular opinion, but I think this is doomed to failure.

No matter what he'd like you to believe, Enter doesn't know a thing about animation or how the industry works. And even if he did, no network or streaming platform would ever support this if they took one look at his online history. The animation industry is not going to help you if you've spent the past several years insulting nearly everyone in it.

The only good thing I can see coming out of this is Enter deciding to focus all his attention onto Growing Around and we never have to endure another review from him.

I agree.

Nobody should support ANYTHING that Mr. Enter does, due to his immaturity, stupidity, attitude problems and turning so many people into whiny spoiled manchildren.

Toon4Thought

I agree.

Nobody should support ANYTHING that Mr. Enter does, due to his immaturity, stupidity, attitude problems and turning so many people into whiny spoiled manchildren.
And to think I became one of those whiny spoiled manchildren for a while...yeah, Mr. Enter sucks and that's a fact.

If this was back in 2013, I'd agree with you, but you'd be surprised at how much he's changed for the better since. His videos most definitely still aren't for everybody but they are objectively much more fair and mature than what he made back then.

Seriously, it seems to be all too common a misconception that Enter's older videos fully represent his current self.

Pac-Attack

I'm late, but I've been wanting to say this since hearing about this:

Give all the praise you want, but his whole "career" launched still from screaming about later SpongeBob episodes. Millions of those "Modern SpongeBob Rant" videos exist on YouTube and are usually of the same below average quality, why did his stand out? It's just more of the usual negativity spread around in the cartoon community that we don't need more of.

"BUT HE IMPROVED SO MUCH"

Okay and? He's still rambling about stupid cherry picked crap that either wasn't going to appeal to him anyways, are not supposed to be given much thought to begin with, etc. who cares

If he wants to make his dream project, okay good for him. But when you are asking for that much money when actual professionals asked for less (yes, even John K who basically scammed), has proven he doesn't really have any drawing skills, and is amateur at writing at best. Yeah....

Besides, how many adults seriously watch Mr. Enter? I can't imagine any adult would watch his stuff unless if they want Chris Chan-esc kicks. From what I see, most of his audience seem to be middle schoolers who comment on YouTube videos.

I apologize if I seem rude, but I'm just baffled as to how he got any attention to begin with when all he did was make a bunch of SpongeBob rant videos that tons of 13 year olds have done for nearly a decade.

Nick Mick

So.... I guess I should count as a middle schooler for liking a few of his past reviews (especially SpongeBob ones and the Elf Bowling one), and even some of his latest (Re-Animated f.e.)??

I mean, I never thought he was that terrible. Yes, he does rambe about stupid cherry picked crap, but that's for the sake of overexaggeration, much like Angry Video Game Nerd, and the Nostalgia Critic. I mean, this might not had been the intention, but this is how his reviews in general seem to be for me.

AllenJ

I mean, I never thought he was that terrible. Yes, he does rambe about stupid cherry picked crap, but that's for the sake of overexaggeration, much like Angry Video Game Nerd, and the Nostalgia Critic. I mean, this might not had been the intention, but this is how his reviews in general seem to be for me.

If that was his intention, his fans certainly didn't seem to think so. When he mentioned certain SpongeBob writers by name in his videos and accused them of being terrible people simply because they wrote a few episodes he didn't like, a bunch of his lemming fans took to Twitter to relentlessly harass them over it (I believe some even went as far as making death threats) and Enter didn't seem to see anything wrong with this until after the damage was already done. Many of Enter's viewers seem to regard his opinions as fact, as evidenced by the numerous blog posts and YouTube videos about SpongeBob's decline that merely repeat Enter's opinions verbatim without adding any new perspective or unique observations of their own. I've always felt that the post-movie seasons of SpongeBob have gotten far too much undeserved hatred, and while Enter certainly isn't the sole cause of it, he certainly has helped to instigate a lot of it.

I used to watch his videos occasionally, and even when I agreed with him it often seemed like he was taking the cartoons he reviewed far more seriously than they were intended. His angry rants always seemed less to me like AVGN or Nostalgia Critic-style exaggeration for comic effect than genuine anger at whatever he was reviewing. In his reviews of certain SpongeBob episodes, like "One Coarse Meal" and "Pet Sitter Pat," he went so far as to accuse the writers of being sadists, claiming that the content of the episodes they wrote indicates that they enjoy other people's pain. I don't recall AVGN or Nostalgia Critic ever going that far.

Last edited:

disneyphilip

I'm late, but I've been wanting to say this since hearing about this:

Give all the praise you want, but his whole "career" launched still from screaming about later SpongeBob episodes. Millions of those "Modern SpongeBob Rant" videos exist on YouTube and are usually of the same below average quality, why did his stand out? It's just more of the usual negativity spread around in the cartoon community that we don't need more of.

"BUT HE IMPROVED SO MUCH"

Okay and? He's still rambling about stupid cherry picked crap that either wasn't going to appeal to him anyways, are not supposed to be given much thought to begin with, etc. who cares

If he wants to make his dream project, okay good for him. But when you are asking for that much money when actual professionals asked for less (yes, even John K who basically scammed), has proven he doesn't really have any drawing skills, and is amateur at writing at best. Yeah....

Besides, how many adults seriously watch Mr. Enter? I can't imagine any adult would watch his stuff unless if they want Chris Chan-esc kicks. From what I see, most of his audience seem to be middle schoolers who comment on YouTube videos.

I apologize if I seem rude, but I'm just baffled as to how he got any attention to begin with when all he did was make a bunch of SpongeBob rant videos that tons of 13 year olds have done for nearly a decade.

Exactly. Nobody should be saying nice things about that jerk Mr. Enter. He’s still an extremely toxic human being who has brainwashed people and become a bad influence, especially when it comes to things like attacking people who work on shows, creating retarded terms like “Toddler Titans”, etc. :mad:

Troy Troodon

This conversation has gotten real sour, real fast. I came to read about a new potential independent animated series with promising potential, not all this vitriol. Never mind whether you like Mr.Enter's reviews or not, that shouldn't really be relevant about this specific program itself.

I want enjoy reading about this, but glossing over all these negative comments about Enter's other work make it hard for me or potentially others to do so.

2-D chirox

Oh Mr Enter. I remember coming across him back in 2013 in his early days. Back when he was another youtube nobody with poor editing skills. I always found his reviews questionable. I'd watch his spongebob reviews and think "this guy is taking this way too seriously". He still does this as far as I can tell. He just makes the same kind of poor rant videos that plague the western animation community. There is so few quality youtube western animation channels and it really sucks. Mr Enter is pretty much everything wrong with it brought into one channel.

Anyway the cartoon sounds like it's just going to be another front for Mr Enter to attack cartoon writers. I remember in some of his reviews he'd complain about the characters "not acting like adults" and complaining about being "childish". A show about a world where adults are ruled over by children sounds like it will fall right into that ad hominem attack he makes fairly often (at least last time I checked). Chances are this show is probably just another way to attack the TTG writing staff. Which (if that is the case) shows how far TTG hate has gotten. I might watch it out of sheer curiosity but nothing more. I also highly doubt this will be picked up by any company. If Mr Enter is the sole writer I doubt it will end well.

Toon4Thought

This conversation has gotten real sour, real fast. I came to read about a new potential independent animated series with promising potential, not all this vitriol. Never mind whether you like Mr.Enter's reviews or not, that shouldn't really be relevant about this specific program itself.

I want enjoy reading about this, but glossing over all these negative comments about Enter's other work make it hard for me or potentially others to do so.
Sorry, it's just that I kind of got annoyed at how the majority of people here are heavily judging him specifically off things he stopped doing years ago. Doesn't seem fair to the guy, y'know?

I, for one, personally want him to succeed at this in some form or another. It obviously won't quite work in the scope he wants (if the low amount he's funded is any indication), but that doesn't mean the potential shouldn't be realized.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts