Cyma Zarghami steps down as president of Nickelodeon

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!

Vaughn Max

J21697

Woah. Huge shocker. Was not expecting this. Where does Nickelodeon go from here?

Well, hopefully that means a change in standards like how ratings determine a show's success won't be the norm for Nick anymore and better treatment of it's shows. Not to be mean, but it was time for a change in management.

kanc

I'm not surprised that Cyma is stepping down from Nick. Then again, Nick is really going through lot of changes lately this year including reshuffling management stuff. I wish they need to do something to really change the schedule programming to more variety instead of too many SpongeBob, Loud House, and Paw Patrol. Movies are ok but they need to tone down a little

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
I'm not surprised that Cyma is stepping down from Nick. Then again, Nick is really going through lot of changes lately this year including reshuffling management stuff. I wish they need to do something to really change the schedule programming to more variety instead of too many SpongeBob, Loud House, and Paw Patrol. Movies are ok but they need to tone down a little
Not to mention Wayne finally getting to finish its first season. I legitimately think we're best off hoping they put the rest of the season online though; with how much ratings have fallen and how much they felt the need to hold back their actually successful Nicktoons, it doesn't seem like a good chance will ever come for that show to air on TV again. I don't think that was Cyma's fault on her own, because decisions like that rarely are one person, but it's still by far my biggest problem with Nick right now.

Mandouga

Wasn't she, at least partially, just doing as she was told anyway? After all, Nickelodeon is owned by Viacom, who originally bought NICK, MTV, and VH1 from Warner-AmEx* back in 1984-1985 and used them to create MTV Networks, so Viacom had actually owned them since then. Then again, it WAS before Viacom merged with Paramount Pictures back in the mid-1990s...

30 years, huh. So she's been with them since 1988, or so?

In any case, I do wonder what this could mean for Nickelodeon now. No more endless replaying of their "most popular" shows (like Spongebob or [they say] The Loud House), maybe? No more taking their "lowest rated" shows and putting them on the Nicktoons Network? Then again, those could have been Viacom's decisions. In any case, I do agree that all of this is usually because of what several different people do, but still.

*After Warner Cable (later Time Warner Cable, now part of Charter), and American Express (as in the credit card company) decided to end their partnership.

rockorockorocko

Part of me wonders if it also has something to do with working with Schneider for so long given all the allegations that have been surfacing in recent months... she kept it under covers? Is this part of a bargain deal to keep those who were gonna come forward silent? Is this REALLY just them letting her go? Who knows...

DeanBurrito25

Hm. Seems like there's been a lot of changes happening at Nick lately. Letting go of veteran creators (Butch Hartman and, understandably, Dan Schneider) and now this, among other things. What does it all mean? It's hard to tell, but it feels Nick is entering into a new transitional period. Hopefully it's all positive change for the network's sake.

ToonsJazzLover

I was expecting this sooner or later after reading news on that Sarah Levy would be replacing her.

Now the change won't happen right away, but I hope the future of Nickelodeon will be better than Cyma's tenure.

LinusFan303

Squeak
It's possibly part of Viacom's reshuffling and getting rid of expensive people is part of that. They also think they are going to merge with CBS (maybe forcibly against CBS' will) and need to clear some deck chairs just in case.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Well, hopefully that means a change in standards like how ratings determine a show's success won't be the norm for Nick anymore and better treatment of it's shows. Not to be mean, but it was time for a change in management.
The overvaluation of ratings seems to he a problem for all of Viacom across the board, so I don't expect much change in that regard, but I do hope that it stops getting in the way of their other shows' potential success from now on.

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
It's possibly part of Viacom's reshuffling and getting rid of expensive people is part of that. They also think they are going to merge with CBS (maybe forcibly against CBS' will) and need to clear some deck chairs just in case.

the last time they merged with CBS was at least almost 20 years ago (which gave us Nick/Nick Jr. on CBS) but it didn't last long

TMC1982

Nickelodeon has also been cleaning house regarding their live-action slate. The Thundermans and School of Rock aired their last episodes not to long ago. Nicky, Ricky, Dicky and Dawn is slated to get the ax, and with Dan Schneider finally ousted from Nickelodeon, it appears that Game Shakers and Henry Danger are also facing their respective demises. So with Nickelodeon cancelling almost their entire current lineup of sitcoms, this raises a lot of questions.

Not to mention Wayne finally getting to finish its first season. I legitimately think we're best off hoping they put the rest of the season online though; with how much ratings have fallen and how much they felt the need to hold back their actually successful Nicktoons, it doesn't seem like a good chance will ever come for that show to air on TV again. I don't think that was Cyma's fault on her own, because decisions like that rarely are one person, but it's still by far my biggest problem with Nick right now.
it makes no sense to assume though that ratings wont be good when wayne comes back. even if it doesnt do well it still cant make sense to assume that its better off online especially with how korra was treated. while more than one person helps with the network, cyma was still at the forefront for all those crappy decisions made. not only as president she approves them, but she outright admits to making shows have piss poor cheap animation so while she isnt the only one to blame she's still ultimately responsible.

The overvaluation of ratings seems to he a problem for all of Viacom across the board, so I don't expect much change in that regard, but I do hope that it stops getting in the way of their other shows' potential success from now on.
its a start at least. loud house after all has gotte low ratings but hast kicked it out so far

Nickelodeon has also been cleaning house regarding their live-action slate. The Thundermans and School of Rock aired their last episodes not to long ago. Nicky, Ricky, Dicky and Dawn is slated to get the ax, and with Dan Schneider finally ousted from Nickelodeon, it appears that Game Shakers and Henry Danger are also facing their respective demises. So with Nickelodeon cancelling almost their entire current lineup of sitcoms, this raises a lot of questions.
hopefully this could mean a fresh start for the future

NOTE FROM MOD: Posts merged. If you have to make another post and no one has posted after you, edit your previous post. DO NOT DOUBLE POST

Last edited by a moderator:

SG-17

I wonder if her preparing to step down is why there has been a lull in Nick's nostalgia outreach? Why NickSplat has been on autopilot, why there is no word on when the finished Rocko movie will come out, and so on?

I also wonder what her successor will do with such nostalgia outreach?

M622

Part of me wonders if it also has something to do with working with Schneider for so long given all the allegations that have been surfacing in recent months... she kept it under covers? Is this part of a bargain deal to keep those who were gonna come forward silent? Is this REALLY just them letting her go? Who knows...

Me too... make you think if she was downplaying his sexual tendencies for him to stay as long as he did...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts