"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
I know this show is about Peter. But shouldn't the Spider-Man is a menace thing that JJJ does be aimed at Miles too? :p
Well, when they bother to actually have him around, this show hardly ever refers to Miles as Spider-Man, so I can see it slipping Jonah's mind :p.
Well, Miles has caused much less collateral damage than Peter. Either that or he probably also thinks Miles is a menace, but it just wasn't shown in the commercial.
Specifically he's done less damage to Daily Bugle property :rolleyes2:.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I remembered reading something on tv tropes on how J. Jonah Jameson could be portrayed in the series. Specifically, even with the social media aspect to show that Spiderman is a legitimate hero and not the menace he says he is, he would still think that superheroes are nothing more than " "glorified costumed vigilantes", who the people of NYC have more faith in than "real heroes" like astronauts, police officers, firemen or newspaper publishers!" It would be an interesting way to make this JJ stand out from other JJ's.

Frontier

Staff member
I remembered reading something on tv tropes on how J. Jonah Jameson could be portrayed in the series. Specifically, even with the social media aspect to show that Spiderman is a legitimate hero and not the menace he says he is, he would still think that superheroes are nothing more than " "glorified costumed vigilantes", who the people of NYC have more faith in than "real heroes" like astronauts, police officers, firemen or newspaper publishers!" It would be an interesting way to make this JJ stand out from other JJ's.
I remember that being a factor in the reason Ultimate Jameson (comic, not cartoon) was so doggedly against Spider-Man.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
GatGdJT.jpg

I can't believe they nailed Eddie Brock right here. He must've seen better days after a decade of absence in Cartoon form.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Technically, it's less than a decade since Spectacular was still airing in 2009. But it's nice to have Eddie Brock back nevertheless.

Frontier

Staff member
Technically, it's less than a decade since Spectacular was still airing in 2009. But it's nice to have Eddie Brock back nevertheless.
Same amount of time since we last saw Peter Parker working at the Daily Bugle in a Spider-Man cartoon (not counting the guest spot in Earth's Mightiest Heroes) ;).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's kind of funny how MJ was more connected to the Bugle on USM, at least at the start of the show.

This show seems to be going for a more traditional set-up, which is fine with me.

Frontier

Staff member
It's kind of funny how MJ was more connected to the Bugle on USM, at least at the start of the show.
Now that I think about it, I don't think Mary Jane wanting to work at the Bugle was ever a plot point after the Beetle episode (which was probably the closest Peter actually came to being at the Bugle) :sweat:.

I was actually kind of expecting MJ to be at the Bugle as a way for them to work her into the series, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case...

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
MJ working at the Bugle was also kind of teased since the animation test before it was just dropped after a while.
vlcsnap-2018-06-01-22h05m23s399.png

Anyway, as I think of how Horizon and Midtown were kind of wrecked by the end of last season, I wonder if that helps open up The Bugle's availability as a setting. It would be a sin if Jonah and the Bugle were used as sparingly as they were in MTV's Spider-Man, for example. I also wonder if we might see some transfers to Horizon or Midtown re-opening or something else entirely. I also wonder what the possibility of actually seeing Mary Jane might be. I wouldn't bet on it but I was feeling that same about Flash until he showed up, and they got a good amount of use from his character.

Frontier

Staff member
MJ working at the Bugle was also kind of teased since the animation test before it was just dropped after a while.View attachment 134581

Anyway, as I think of how Horizon and Midtown were kind of wrecked by the end of last season, I wonder if that helps open up The Bugle's availability as a setting. It would be a sin if Jonah and the Bugle were used as sparingly as they were in MTV's Spider-Man, for example. I also wonder if we might see some transfers to Horizon or Midtown re-opening or something else entirely. I also wonder what the possibility of actually seeing Mary Jane might be. I wouldn't bet on it but I was feeling that same about Flash until he showed up, and they got a good amount of use from his character.
Given Peter working at the Bugle was directly mentioned in the plot description for season 2, and Jameson was prominent in the trailer, I imagine the Bugle will probably become a pretty big part of the show :).

When Midtown got blown up I thought we might see some of the other students transfer to Horizon, so we could see Flash, Liz, and Randy more...though Osborn Academy also got trashed so there's probably a lot of kids without a school at the moment :sweat:.

I don't think they would've had Mary Jane appear, albeit in a mascot costume, if they didn't have plans for her later on, although I'm not sure how soon we might see those plans realized...

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's weird how the early footage from USM teased MJ working at the Bugle, and that there will be some romance between her and Spidey. Both those elements were kind of dropped when the show actually started, but to be fair they were sort of addressed for a couple of episodes in the first and last seasons.

Regarding the Midtown kids, I imagine we'll at least see more from Randy Robertson occasionally, if his dad is going to play a bigger role this season.

Frontier

Staff member
Regarding the Midtown kids, I imagine we'll at least see more from Randy Robertson occasionally, if his dad is going to play a bigger role this season.
I know Zeno Robinson (Randy's VA) tweeted how great a job Bob Joles did as Jonah, so I'm guessing Randy will probably pop up in at least one episode :cool:.
John Jameson might show up again as well, now that his previous genius school is gone and his dad is in the picture.
This would be the perfect chance for the show to bring all those disparate elements from season 1 (Spidey destroying so much Bugle property, John as Man-Wolf, Spidey destroying Osborn Academy) to explain why Jonah hates Spider-Man so much :p.
Okay everyone, favorite Spiderman lady? Mine is Felicia/Black Cat. Her episode was fire.
I'm a big Black Cat fan, but I'm always up for more Mary Jane ;).

I do like the version of Gwen on the show as well :).

Frontier

Staff member
Speaking of Gwen, she doesn't know that Peter is Spider-Man, right? I remember Anya learning but I don't remember Gwen ever really finding out.
Anya never learned Peter's identity, or at least they never confirmed if she figured it out or not.

I was curious if the fact that Peter seemed to vanish in Spider-Island while they were at OsCorp, only for Spider-Man to inexplicably turn up, would clue her in, but she didn't seem to make a big deal out of it.

The only people who for sure know Peter is Spider-Man are Miles and Harry.

Mr.O

Okay everyone, favorite Spiderman lady? Mine is Felicia/Black Cat. Her episode was fire.
On this show? I think Gwen had an unfair advantage in exposure, but I agree that Felicia did an excellent job considering her limited appearance. Anya, being the second most frequently shown female really shouuld be up there, but oddly she didn't get much to do. Surprisingly, I'd even put Liz ahead of her in this show.

TL;DR Gwen is #1, followed closely by Cat, the Liz and Anya in that order. This is, of course, referring to the show. And I'd much rather get another Black Cat episode than a "Ghost Spider/ Spider Gwen" one.

Frontier

Staff member
On this show? I think Gwen had an unfair advantage in exposure, but I agree that Felicia did an excellent job considering her limited appearance. Anya, being the second most frequently shown female really shouuld be up there, but oddly she didn't get much to do. Surprisingly, I'd even put Liz ahead of her in this show.
It probably helps that, unlike Anya, Liz wasn't constantly abrasive towards Peter for most of her screentime :p.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
I just realized that that with Eddie's return to Cartoon form and with the Tom Hardy Venom movie coming out, 2018 is gonna be a good year for Venom as he's having a 30th Anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts