"Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse" Animated Feature News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
Some new footage of the movie was shown at CinemaCon.
The presentation featured loads of new footage that wasn't shown in the movie's initial teaser trailer. The footage was mostly unfinished, with a lot of work ahead of the animators before the film's premiere at the end of the year.

The movie will feature classic villains like the Green Goblin, Kingpin, and the Prowler. The last one makes sense considering Miles Morales' mythos, in which his uncle Aaron Davis is a criminal thief who attempts to blackmail his nephew into committing crimes. The Green Goblin in the footage looks like a dragon, probably inspired by the Ultimate version of the character. This one has wings protruding from his back.

In this film, the Peter Parker Spider-Man is found dead at the age of 26. Miles Morales, inspired by his hero and gifted similar powers, pays homage to the original Spidey with a makeshift costume.

Things take an interesting turn when Miles is approached at Peter's grave — by an older, disheveled Peter Parker (who suspiciously sounds like Jake Johnson, but we can't confirm at this point). This is our first glimpse at the wider Spider-Verse, we're guessing, given the alternate version of the one true Spider-Man.

This chubbier Peter offers to mentor Miles, and footage shows two Spider-Men swinging through the city. The footage also revealed that Miles' father is a cop in this continuity.

While we're starting to learn more about the movie, producers Phil Lord and Christopher Miller promised it would focus on the Ultimate Spider-Man.

"We wanted to make a story about Miles. And when they came to us, it seemed like an amazing opportunity to tell a different kind of Spider-Man story," Lord said at CCXP last year. "The thing that's exciting to us is the idea that anyone can be behind the mask. It seemed like a really great opportunity to subvert your expectations of what you thought a Spider-Man movie could be."

Miller promised that Miles will be a window to a greater universe.

"I will say this is Miles movie," Miller said. "He's the protagonist of the movie, but it's a large universe out there and there's a lot of opportunities, and the movie enjoys that."

Frontier

Staff member
I'm kind of curious to see what happened to the other version of Peter that made him let himself go so much...not that it seems to be hampering him much ;).

Curious to see whether Schrieber is playing Kingpin or the Goblin. I could see him fitting in either role :cool:.

Obviously the story is going to be centered around Miles and his growing into Spider-Man, although the footage shown makes it sound morel like a Spider-Men team-up movie :D.

That scene with Jefferson sounds adorable :anime:.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I hope it is. I can't wait to see a good story trailer and it feels as though half a year has passed since the first teaser.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Deadline confirms some more actors: Jake Johnson is Peter Parker, Liev Schreiber is Kingpin, Hailee Steinfeld is Spider-Gwen, Mahershala Ali is Miles' Uncle Aaron, Brian Tyree Henry is Miles' dad Jefferson, Luna Lauren Velez is Miles' mom Rio, and Lily Tomlin is Aunt May.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
The casting for Jefferson Davis is interesting as Brian plays PaperBoi on Atlanta but the guy that plays his cousin on that show, Donald Glover, is Aaron Davis in the live action movie (and one of the inspirations for Miles in the first place). The world is so small sometimes. As long as they don't tell me that the Prowler has a baby with Domino somewhere, things will at least feel coincidental. Speaking of which, we haven't even heard Mahershala yet.

She shouldn't be but Spider-Gwen was still a surprise for me. It didn't happen as much with the last trailer but when I watched this I kind of felt like there was a strobe effect, or I was looking at stop motion or something, due to the framerate of the animation. If this movie leads to more big screen animation for comic properties (come on, Warner Bros.), I'll be pretty happy. There's still a lot of the story that they haven't gotten into and I'm happy about that. I hope it all blends and works successfully when we see the final product.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
New trailer alert...

Awesome trailer :D.

I really love the animation. It's like an interesting mix of CG, cel-shaded, animation with some 2D-animation flair in it, complete with it being styled like a comic book :cool:.

It's nice to see Miles' mom and dad together for once in an adaption :).

"In your universe, there's only one Spider-Man." What universe is Miles talking about? The MCU? Because that's legitimately the only universe where there's one Spider-Man (at the moment) :sweat:.

The classic red and blue suit looks amazing in CG :anime:.

The Goblin looks almost unrecognizable, even compared to the Ultimate version :eek:.

Jake Johnson sounds like a solid adult Peter, although I don't know how I feel about him taking money from a teenager to pay for his meal :rolleyes2:.

I'm guessing by Peter having his own displays with costumes on them that we'll be getting some kind of Parker Industries element here o_O?

I can't say I'm surprised that Spider-Gwen popped up if they're leaning so much into the Spider-Verse in this universe, and Haliee Steinfeld seems appropriately cast for the character. Who wants to bet the next movie will be a Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman movie ;)?

"Save it for Comic-Con" well that's not too on-the-nose :p.

Y'know, I kept asking myself the entire trailer..."where's Ganke?" :confused:.

So Aunt May is in it...but no Mary Jane :sad:?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts