RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Details about this year's Marvel Animation panel at WonderCon have surfaced:

Saturday, March 24th
MARVEL ANIMATION: FROM PENCIL TO SCREEN
Where: 300D
When: 12:30PM
Join Marvel Animation for a behind the scenes journey through all aspects of production and development! You’ll get an exclusive look at how Marvel assembles acclaimed animated series and projects such as “Marvel’s Avengers: Secret Wars,” “Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout” and the highly-anticipated “Marvel Rising,” as well as an inside glimpse at the popular Marvel Funko animated shorts and “Marvel LEGO Super Heroes – Black Panther: Trouble in Wakanda.” Led by Cort Lane (SVP, Animation and Family Entertainment) and featuring several special guests, the Marvel Animation team will share rare insight into the writing process, voice direction, production, never-before-seen sneak peeks from upcoming projects, and tons of scoops on future storylines. Don’t miss it!

Please use this thread to discuss, add your hopes or predictions about what might be announced.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm surprised they didn't mention Marvel's Spider-Man at all. I wonder if that means they'll talk more about Avengers: Secret Wars, and most likely Panther's Quest, as well as Guardians: Mission Breakout more then they will season 2 of Spidey?

I was a little surprised to see Marvel Rising listed here, given that seemed to be more of a Marvel TV thing then a Marvel Animation thing.

As far as "sneak peeks," they'll probably be something for Panther's Quest, Mission Breakout, and Marvel Rising.
Hopefully, this panel will be a little insightful.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm curious if they'll address or get any questions about the rumor about the mass cancellations and layoffs.

Last edited:

TheLemsterPju

I'm surprised they didn't mention Marvel's Spider-Man at all. I wonder if that means they'll talk more about Avengers: Secret Wars, and most likely Panther's Quest, as well as Guardians: Mission Breakout more then they will season 2 of Spidey?

That concerns me...No third season after the "hiatus"?

I was a little surprised to see Marvel Rising listed here, given that seemed to be more of a Marvel TV thing then a Marvel Animation thing.

So is Deadpool, but they probably only want to cover their all-ages properties at the panel.

It's been a while since we've had an animated film, hasn't it? :sweat:

Frontier

Staff member
That concerns me...No third season after the "hiatus"?
I'm more surprised if they don't talk about the second season at all.
So is Deadpool, but they probably only want to cover their all-ages properties at the panel.
Deadpool seems more squarely on FX's side, so I wouldn't expect a purely Marvel driven panel to address it.
It's been a while since we've had an animated film, hasn't it? :sweat:
I don't think we've had one since Where Monsters Dwell.

I guess Marvel Rising would technically count as one.

Frontier

Staff member
So this is just three days away now. I'm still hoping they have some worthwhile updates to share.
I'm not expecting as much as we got from D23, but it would be nice if we got some exclusive news and insight from this panel rather then just information we already know about :).

It would probably be a good time to debut a trailer or footage for Marvel Rising...

KombatMaster94

I wanna know if there really is a restructuring of Marvel Animation going on, or at least if they're working on new shows to replace the current ones with outsourced animation and writers/showrunners like Chris Yost or Ciro Nieli.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Reminder: The Marvel Animation panel at WonderCon starts today at 12:30M.
https://www.comic-con.org/wca/2018/saturday

Please use this thread, or any of the existing News & Discussions threads for the already airing Marvel shows, to post any of the news revealed today. This thread can also be used to post your overall thoughts on all these announcements, or add your hopes and predictions before the panel actually starts.

The news relevant to the Marvel shows will still be added to their respective News & Discussion threads afterwards, if only to have the topics more complete and up to date in regards to upcoming stuff.

Also, if somehow any completely new projects are announced, expect new threads to be posted shortly afterwards on this very forum.

Frontier

Staff member
They mention a sizzle reel but I'm not sure if it's related to the Black Panther Lego special or Marvel Rising:

I can't remember who played her for Secret Wars but I look forward to hearing Daisy's performance.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Daisy Lightfoot will be taking over from Kimberly Brooks from Secret Wars :).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Not exactly the "tons of scoops on future storylines" they announced. We'll see if any other sites publish more complete articles about the panel (including the Q&A) in the next couple of days.

KombatMaster94

I was at the panel today, and I hear they had a Japanese animation studio working on Marvel Rising (they didn’t say which).

I missed a lot of the panel, but I talked with one of the storyboard artists for Guardians and he did say the shows really are ending. There’s a lot of uncertainty at the studio since they wanted to do stuff for Disney’s streaming service but Disney bought Fox and part of Hulu. They’re figuring out what to do.

The only show left in production is Avengers Assemble, and they’re almost done storyboarding for it.

Frontier

Staff member
I was at the panel today, and I hear they had a Japanese animation studio working on Marvel Rising (they didn’t say which).
Hmm...the character designs looked in-line with the animation of past Marvel cartoons so I'm interested to see how things will look in motion if they're having a Japanese studio handle the animation work.
I missed a lot of the panel, but I talked with one of the storyboard artists for Guardians and he did say the shows really are ending. There’s a lot of uncertainty at the studio since they wanted to do stuff for Disney’s streaming service but Disney bought Fox and part of Hulu. They’re figuring out what to do.

The only show left in production is Avengers Assemble, and they’re almost done storyboarding for it.
I guess that pretty much corroborates the rumors about the current state of Marvel Animation and it seems like Disney is still trying to figure out what they want to do with the Marvel cartoons.

I also guessed that Black Panther's Quest was probably the last show left in the can (as it were).

KombatMaster94

Hmm...the character designs looked in-line with the animation of past Marvel cartoons so I'm interested to see how things will look in motion if they're having a Japanese studio handle the animation work.

I guess that pretty much corroborates the rumors about the current state of Marvel Animation and it seems like Disney is still trying to figure out what they want to do with the Marvel cartoons.

I also guessed that Black Panther's Quest was probably the last show left in the can (as it were).

I’m just hoping for Marvel cartoons with much better writing, art, and animation soon.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts