"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
Behind the scenes featurette about Spider-Gwen and Spider-Girl.
I guess that confirms Anya is going to go by Spider-Girl in this cartoon, though I guess because of branding Gwen's stuck with Spider-Gwen over Spider-Woman, until they fit in "Ghost Spider."

Anya calling Peter "My Friend" just feels weird given how she usually treats him when they're together :confused:.
How is this show more of an ensemble project then Ultimate Spider-Man was? I mean, that show was a team cartoon from the start, and featured even more heroes alongside Spider-Man o_O.

Heck, given the diversity and variety of the supporting cast in Spectacular, shouldn't that count as an ensemble cast :sweat:?

I also love how they talk about Anya's appeal in the comics even though none of that is actually relevant to this take from the cartoons :p.

It also feels kind of weird to see them talk about strong female characters in a Spider-Man cartoon when MJ is still a no-show :(.

Marvel/DCfan

Man I can’t stand this new Harry Osborn. He’s mad annoying and act like Peter is supposed to kiss his ass. Lol

Frontier

Staff member
Man I can’t stand this new Harry Osborn. He’s mad annoying and act like Peter is supposed to kiss his ass. Lol
I didn't think this show could make Harry hating Spider-Man feel even more contrived and obnoxious then it usually does, but it's pretty much topped itself at this point :p.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It's gotten so bad that I'm at the point where I outright dislike the show. It's a shame. It had potential before that became a huge mess. But that's on this show. Completely.

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
I don't dislike the show but Harry's relationship to Spiderman is so poorly written and thought out that I'm surprised it made it past the editing process.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The last few episodes have been a total mess. The fourth part of Spider-Island was pretty great, but they obviously ran out of money by the fifth part and figured Harry hating Peter for destroying a building with his name on it was a lot more cost effective than a final Spider-Monster battle.

In retrospect it seems to me Ultimate Spider-Man wound up the best Spider-Man series. Which is weird because it wasn't that hot. But Spider-Man TAS was a mess too (for similar reasons). Spectacular Spider-Man was unresolved and had no real pay-off. And this show is creating nothing but forced drama for stupid reasons. Yeah, most of USM sucked. But at least they were afforded a decent series finale. Which is more than any other Spider-Man show got.

Frontier

Staff member
It's gotten so bad that I'm at the point where I outright dislike the show. It's a shame. It had potential before that became a huge mess. But that's on this show. Completely.
I dunno, the Peter and Harry thing is just one element of an entire show. I have some issues with it myself but I don't think it's bad enough to where it really bogs down the whole show.

But that's just my two cents.
I don't dislike the show but Harry's relationship to Spiderman is so poorly written and thought out that I'm surprised it made it past the editing process.
I really don't think the writers having Harry start hating Spider-Man so early into the series was the right decision.
The last few episodes have been a total mess. The fourth part of Spider-Island was pretty great, but they obviously ran out of money by the fifth part and figured Harry hating Peter for destroying a building with his name on it was a lot more cost effective than a final Spider-Monster battle.
I don't think budget had anything to do with how they wrote the Peter and Harry relationship in the last part.
In retrospect it seems to me Ultimate Spider-Man wound up the best Spider-Man series. Which is weird because it wasn't that hot. But Spider-Man TAS was a mess too (for similar reasons). Spectacular Spider-Man was unresolved and had no real pay-off. And this show is creating nothing but forced drama for stupid reasons. Yeah, most of USM sucked. But at least they were afforded a decent series finale. Which is more than any other Spider-Man show got.
I'd give this show a major edge over USM because at least it feels like a Spider-Man cartoon more then USM generally did.

I mean, even USM had Harry start hating Spider-Man for contrived reasons, it just wasn't as much of an issue because Peter's traditional supporting cast became less relevant in subsequent seasons of the show (at least until they became Superheroes).

Dragnatek

Making Harry hate Spiderman from the start and without any good reason was the first problem. They could have let his dislike and hate for Spiderman grow over the course of the series, maybe have Norman turn Harry against Spider man but no. This was just a bad choice.

It does not ruin the show but it does make Harry unlikeable.

Frontier

Staff member
Making Harry hate Spiderman from the start and without any good reason was the first problem. They could have let his dislike and hate for Spiderman grow over the course of the series, maybe have Norman turn Harry against Spider man but no. This was just a bad choice.

It does not ruin the show but it does make Harry unlikeable.
In fairness I think Harry is much more likeable when he's just hanging out and being friends with Peter, since the show has always been pretty genuine as far as depicting their friendship.

And, however contrived his character can be at times, I think Max Mittleman really sells Harry's shifting emotional states for all their worth.

Frontier

Staff member
Welp, Harry's officially lost it :ack:.

This show really likes it's slo-mo moments o_O.

I was kind of hoping Mittleman would get to do more of a proper Goblin voice instead of just having his voice be so heavily modulated as The Hobgoblin...

I got a kick out of seeing the Hobgoblin totally avoiding the Venom Blast :anime:.

Hey, maybe I should make a "Spider-Man gets bailed out/saved" counter to use next season for every time Peter needs to get bailed out of jams by his supporting cast :p?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Welp, Harry's officially lost it :ack:.

This show really likes it's slo-mo moments o_O.

I was kind of hoping Mittleman would get to do more of a proper Goblin voice instead of just having his voice be so heavily modulated as The Hobgoblin...

I got a kick out of seeing the Hobgoblin totally avoiding the Venom Blast :anime:.

Hey, maybe I should make a "Spider-Man gets bailed out/saved" counter to use next season for every time Peter needs to get bailed out of jams by his supporting cast :p?
Regarding Max Mittleman as Hobgoblin, i think it's how it's a bit out of his usual range. He's usually the young hero/teen, or someone more high pitched, like Bobo the spirit monkey on Elena Of Avalor. Besides, Max is in his late 20s, unlike other Hobgoblin actors in their 30s-40s

Last edited:

Roxas_Sora

Sorry to spoil the fun, guys:

But the HobGoblin who is attacking Spider-Man in this scene is actually Norman Osborn. This is just like when Norman tried to incriminate Harry in "Spectacular Spider-Man". Thanks to India, where the episode first aired, I know it. At the end of the Part Two, we discover the whole thing (even although I don't understand a word in indian), and there's a big explosion in a lab through a GREEN LIQUID while Norman wears the HobGoblin's stuff. Sounds familiar?

Anya and Gwen don't act like they have powers anymore, but I don't think that means they are really cured. I mean, you can have powers, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to use them publicly. They still can have them, but they decide to "stay low". Besides, you know women, they prefer brain over brawn, which basically humilliate men as just big brutes.

Frontier

Staff member
Given they're going for a more armored and robotic look for the Hobgoblin, I'm curious to see how they handle the Green Goblin.
I love how Harry is still trying to justify his actions.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Harry's starting to make Jonah's irrational hatred of Spider-Man look reasonable :p.

Roxas_Sora

Given they're going for a more armored and robotic look for the Hobgoblin, I'm curious to see how they handle the Green Goblin.

Harry's starting to make Jonah's irrational hatred of Spider-Man look reasonable :p.

1º) Actually, I believe I have a clue about the Green Goblin:

Like I said, at the end of the Part Two, we discover the HobGoblin who attacked Spider-Man was actually Norman Osborn, and then there's a big explosion in a lab through a GREEN LIQUID while Norman wears the HobGoblin's stuff. Sounds familiar? (This is just like 90's series, where the Green Goblin was born from the stuff of the HobGoblin).

I do have a feeling that, the green liquid that blew up at the end of "HobGoblin - Part 2" could be the serum that turned Warren into the Jackal. So, after the explosion, Norman becomes a goblinish creature, in a similar way that his Ultimate counterpart. (I always thought the Green Goblin and the Jackal in his "green monster self" looked too similar, that's why Ben Really's version with the Anubis' stuff looked way more fitting).

2º) Yeah, I'm not going to deny that Jonah's hatred almost looks rational now.

However, considering what I just said that this HobGoblin being actually Norman Osborn, we can't blame Harry for this.

Troy Troodon

I feel like I should reserve my full thoughts for Marvel's Spider-Man for a full in-depth conversation, but for now I'll keep it simple.

As much as I enjoyed this new Spider-Man cartoon, like the writing is good, the animation is decent, and the voice acting is great... it does still have it's problems.

One problem is that it tries too much to be like other interpretations of Spider-Man; it tries to be like Ultimate Spider-Man, (Ultimate Universe, not the cartoon) The Amazing Spider-Man movies, and even Spider-Man: Homecoming to some extent; at least in terms of mixing versions of character costumes as well as story points like the design of The Vulture, (which I didn't mind honestly) making some of the villains younger, (ok so that is somewhat like the USM show) or Harry Osborn's obscene attitude just to name a couple examples.

Another problem is while the first few episodes did touch on Peter Parker's normal life, after that it just shifted it's focus on his conflict with a certain villain for each coming episode; which I feel is a detriment since one of the the most appealing aspects of Spider-Man and Peter in particular is that we the audience get to explore his normal life as a high school student and an orphan, the challenges that come with being a teenager and the coming of age, and how those obstacles even intersect with his duty as a superhero.

It's really telling that Stretch Armstrong and The Flex Fighters feels more like a Spider-Man show than this one does (particularly with Victor Cook's involvement after Spectacular Spider-Man); because in that show we do get to see our hero's (or heroes') life(ves) as ordinary teenagers and their struggles as teens and how they intersect with their own conflict as superheroes and how the audience can relate to that. There were clichés to come with it mind you, but at least that show managed to work around the problems with those clichés so they are actually justified, which further helps it's story to it's full potential.

And even Trollhunters manages to capture the spirit of Spider-Man's double-life story more so than this show; yeah there are clichés there too, in fact they weren't quite as justified as in Flex Fighters but at least some of those clichés are justified and even made up for in the second season.

Don't get me wrong, Marvel's Spider-Man is certainly better than most other recent animated shows Marvel made like Avengers Assemble or Guardians of The Galaxy, but it's still missing one important aspect that really does make for a good superhero cartoon or even a cartoon in general, the life of a character and that character's ability to relate to the audience. (something even Justice League Action seems to lack in some regard as well)

However the first season did conclude well and due to it's last couple episodes, so here's to hoping the next season will delve more into Peter's personal life, and the lives of his friends and supporting characters, as well as introduce us to new threats and maybe even new team-ups with more superheroes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts