2e1ywk4.jpg

Opening theme: "Departure!" by Masatoshi Ono [VERSION 5]
Ending theme: "Nagareboshi Kirari" by Yuzu

Characters

The Hunters:
latest

Gon Freecss
Voiced by: Erica Mendez
Gon is a young energetic boy from Whale Island who has become a Hunter to venture the world and find his father, Ging. His latest adventure has brought him to Kite, one of his father’s old students, and now he and Killua are about to embark on the most dangerous adventure of their lives. Gon is an enhancement-type Nen user, able to unleash a destructive amount of Nen from his fists.

latest

Killua Zoldyck
Voiced by: Christina Vee
Killua is the youngest son of the Zoldycks, a family of assassins known the world over. After meeting Gon, the two quickly became best friends and he’s been tagging along with him ever since, which has led him to join his friend in following Kite. Killua is a transmutation-type Nen user, able to absorb and control electricity.

kite-hunter-x-hunter-2011-7.9.jpg

Kite
Voiced by: Christopher Corey Smith
A Contract Hunter who studied under Gon’s father Ging. He is the leader of a group of Hunters who are in the midst of an investigation concerning a dangerous species of insects known as the Chimera Ants. Kite is a conjurer-type Nen user, which allows him to summon a slot machine that randomly selects a weapon for him.

The Kakin Exploration Team:
Kakin_survey_group.png

(From Left to Right)
Stick Dinner - Voiced by: Greg Chun
Spinner Clow - Voiced by: Laura Stahl
Podungo Lapoy - Voiced by: Reba Buhr
Monta Yuras - Voiced by: Bill Rogers
Lin Koshi - Voiced by: CJ Williams
Banana Kavaro - Voiced by: Skyler Davenport
A group of amateur Contract Hunters who have worked with Kite for three years under the employment of the government of Kakin. Their current assignment is to study the potential danger of the Chimera Ants. Due to strict regulations with entering the border of the NGL, a country where technology is illegal, only Stick Dinner and Podungo were able to enter, with the rest waiting outside in a nearby village for them to return. However, after seeing the dangers that awaited them inside, Kite sent Stick and Podungo back to the border, ordering them to contact the Hunter Association immediately.

The Chimera Ants:
Chimera Ant Squadron Leaders
OE4llsQ.png

(Top Row)
Hagya
Hagya is a lion-type Ant with a calm and collective personality. However, at the same time, he is cruel towards humans, finding that killing them is highly addictive, to the point where he keeps some humans for himself to eat.

Alligator - Voiced by: J.D. Zelman
Alligator is competitive, to the point of wanting to make a game out of hunting humans. However, at the same time, he is lazy and laid-back, preferring his troops to do the work for him.

Colt - Voiced by: Zach Aguilar
The first offspring of the Queen born from human genes, Colt’s devotion to the Queen is absolute, and he will do whatever is needed to assist her.

Cheetu - Voiced by: Cedric L. Williams
Being the fastest Chimera Ant, Cheetu is arrogant, to the point of being impressed by his own speed, and confident, only fighting when he has a chance to show off his abilities. He is also simple-minded, having no long term goals unlike some of his fellow Squadron Leaders, and is just content being the fastest of all.

(Middle Row)
Zazan - Voiced by: Allegra Clark
Zazan is confident and egocentric, wanting to claim as much power as possible. While she is normally composed, that side will quickly fade if her looks are in any way damaged.

Welfin
The lowest ranking of the Squadron Leaders, Welfin aims to reach the top so he may serve the future King.

Panda
Panda is the type to care deeply about someone, but quickly move on as soon as they’re gone.

Meleoron - Voiced by: Bill Rogers
An oddity among the Ants, Meleoron is a pacifist and dislikes fighting and killing. Because of his capability of showing empathy, it could be said that he is more in touch with his human side than the others.

Peggy - Voiced by: Hank Ketchum
Having a fascination with the human world and its inner workings, Peggy is the most knowledgeable of the Ants and can often be found reading various books obtained in their conquests.

(Bottom Row)
Bloster - Voiced by: Chris Cason
A lobster-type Ant who was born from the genes of an NGL soldier, and thus has a latent knowledge of how their weapons work.

Mantis
A praying mantis-type Ant.

Octopus
An octopus-type Ant with a white beard and a postman’s hat.

Bihorn
An Ant resembling a minotaur, Bihorn is said to be the strongest of the Squadron Leaders in terms of physical strength.

Turtle - Voiced by: Mark Diraison
Turtle is a sycophant that would do everything to please the individual with most power. He was the one to suggest to the Queen that the Squadron Leaders be granted names.

Yunju_anime.png

Yunju
Voiced by: Edward Bosco
Yunju is a centaur-like Chimera Ant, another one of the Queen’s squadron leaders. He has recently captured the base of the NGL’s leader Gyro, as well as the production facility for the deadly drug D2.

latest

Rammot
A rabbit-like Ant soldier working under Colt. Rammot is cruel and sadistic, taking pleasure in the screams of his victims, as well as quick-tempered and extremely self-centered. Rammot wishes to rise above the rank of a soldier, only obeying his superiors because he is afraid of them.

pike-hunter-x-hunter-2011-50073.jpg

Pike
A spider-type Ant soldier working under Zazan, Pike is simple-minded and extremely loyal to his squadron leader. He was born with the ability to see Nen, allowing him to be the first one to become aware of the secret abilities which certain humans possess.

chimera-ant-queen-hunter-x-hunter-2011-94.jpg

Chimera Ant Queen
Voiced by: Cindy Robinson
The queen ant, whose sole goal is to find the best genetic material to create the King. For this, she is currently raising an army, and has recently discovered that human flesh tastes best…

Hunter-x-Hunter-2011-Episode-82-22.png

Episode 82
"Kite × And × Slots"

Chapters adapted: 192-194​

Last time...
As the Chimera Ants continued their ravage throughout NGL, Gon, Killua and Kite rushed to the location of the nest, hoping to reach it before the King is born. Meanwhile, the Chimera Ant Queen demanded over a hundred humans per day to assure the King's growth. Even though he was initially surprised, Colt did not hesitate to comply with the Queen's orders, although he rejected Turtle's idea to immediately increase their ranks. At that moment, Zazan appeared to tell everyone about the capture of a rare human. After a short bicker between Zazan and Pike and later Bihorn and Pike, the Chimera Ants continued talking about rare humans, and realized that the officers can see their Nen and disable them.

Gon, Killua and Kite arrived to a village to find it abandoned. However, Gon picked up something that smelled, and upon reaching the location of the smell, they came across corpses of horses that had been feasted on by the rabbit-like Ant Rammot. Suddenly, they were approached by Rammot himself while, unbeknownst to them, he was being watched by Colt from the forest.

Rammot angrily claimed the horses were for himself and charged towards the Hunters. The boys were overwhelmed by his attack, but Kite effortlessly evaded it and unleashed his Nen. He backed away and told Gon and Killua to deal with the Chimera Ant soldier on their own in order to prove that they're able to face them. Gon and Killua stepped forward, unleashing their Nen. While Rammot noticed a sudden difference in the boys' power, Gon and Killua told Kite not to treat them like kids and attacked Rammot. Even though the Chimera Ant seemed to be overpowering them at first, Killua used his lightning skill and casted a Thunderbolt to immobilize Rammot, while Gon used his own technique to blast the Chimera Ant away. Much to their surprise, Rammot was suddenly snatched away by Colt and the two escaped while Rammot yelled at the boys, wanting to eat them. Gon and Killua realized that their attacks didn't have much effect, however, Kite praised them and asked whether they still wanted to come with him, receiving a positive answer from the boys.

Meanwhile, at the nest, Rammot's anger was at its finest, wanting more than to just simply kill Gon and Killua. He revealed to Colt that other squads have been killing humans and leaving their corpses there. Colt questioned the other squad leaders about that and Hagya simply stated that it's fun. However, he promised to bring the rare ones to the Queen. This turned out to be a lie, as Hagya stated to his assistants that they would find a rare one and eat it. Meanwhile, Gon and the others found more corpses that were brutalized by the Chimera Ants, and reached a drug factory overtaken by the Chimera Ants, deciding to look inside.

This time…
Kite and the boys enter the drug factory, where they run into Yunju’s squadron and begin to fight. Meanwhile, Rammot makes a shocking discovery which could make the Chimera Ants nigh unstoppable.

Notes:
  • The chapters which this episode covers can be found in volume 19 of the manga release.
  • Three Bluray/DVD sets are available now from Viz Media, containing the first 50 episodes.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Mmm, this is one of my favorite episodes from the first half of the Ant arc.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
"Its a drug factory"

Killua how would you know what a drug factory would look like.

animePWNS

1955-2024
Human dog deaths. I don't know whether or not that's worse than the dog death count on JoJo.

PapaGreg

Damn Gon have you been working out, because your arms are jacked

Radical

Banned
Episode 82 was pretty sweet/intense,

Both Gon/Killua and Kite get their real intense fight with three dangerous Chimera Ants, sweet.

Yunju the centaur Chimera Ant, a horrible hatable piece of crap that I despise next to Ponzu's killer:mad:, those poor humans.

Love both the Centipede Chimera Ant and the sexy female Mosquito Chimera Ant, cool deadly Chimera Ants, love their sweet designs:D.

Both Kite vs. Yunju, Gon vs. Centipede, and Killua vs. Mosquito were pretty awesome fights, Centipede and his planning to strike was funny though, loved the awesome animated gifs of Killua/Kite's cool fights.

Love Yunju's satisfying death, go Kite, best awesome skilled fighter:D.

Farewell Centipede/Mosquito, but Gon/Killua awesome and the strongest and Killua's cool killing instinct returns to kill the new villains in the arc though.

Gyro will show up soon as a Chimera Ant.

Poor Kite annoyed by his Nen ability Crazy Slots was interesting.

Hina is SO CUTE:anime:.

Rammot/Evil Bugs Bunny the first Chimera Ant to show a Nen ability is interesting/surprising.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
This episode had some epic moments and we got to see Gon's scissors attack. I guess we'll get to see what paper is pretty soon.. Next week looks like nen-using chimera ant vs Gon and Killua. That should be interesting. So far, this seems to the most action-packed and battle-centric arc of the series, and that's actually a good thing, at least to me. There's still a sense of character development and plot, Colt is an interesting antagonist. Still don't get the dislike of Kite. Sure, he's yet another stoic tough guy, but he's kinda cool.

PapaGreg

This episode had some epic moments and we got to see Gon's scissors attack. I guess we'll get to see what paper is pretty soon.. Next week looks like nen-using chimera ant vs Gon and Killua. That should be interesting. So far, this seems to the most action-packed and battle-centric arc of the series, and that's actually a good thing, at least to me. There's still a sense of character development and plot, Colt is an interesting antagonist. Still don't get the dislike of Kite. Sure, he's yet another stoic tough guy, but he's kinda cool.
Colt isnt the antagonist and people actually like Kite

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
There were a few Kite detractors here a few episodes ago. I know Colt is not the main antagonist, but he's on the enemy's side, at least at this moment, so I consider him an antagonist. I guess Toonzone shows a lot of minority opinions as a lot of anti-Kite people showed up here during his debut. Toonzone seems to be a tiny forum where we can barely get two pages for a HunterXHunter talkback thread, so I guess the opinions here can be quite different from the Internet as a whole. I am a little bewildered by the hate for Kite, I admit.

StorytellerMJ5

I don't like Kite because he bores me plus I don't like how his character is handled further down the road and how his connection to Gon is handled, but I can't get into that too much without spoiling stuff.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought that this episode was pretty good. It was pretty brutal to see them treating humans like dogs and then crushing them to death. Kite's comment on how aggressive people being turned into Chimera Ants could make them more dangerous makes sense given what we've seen of them thus far.

The action was pretty solid. I actually forgot that Killua was from a family of killers until he went all out against his opponent. He still has a lot of skills in combat even without killing people, but he's been fighting without going to that length for awhile that I forgot that aspect of his character. It was a nice little detail that Gon had to remember to fight to kill while Killua just did it instantly. It made sense with their personalities and backstories. Gon is a skilled fighter, but he wouldn't think to fight to kill normally. Killua, on the other hand, was raised to kill first, so it would feel more natural to him in a way.

Killua's fight was really quick, but good and fairly brutal. I liked seeing Gon's Nen paper attack, even though it felt like they dragged that out a bit. Kite's fight was quick, but pretty good. I don't know how I feel about him yet. He's mainly stoic and aloof, but he seems okay. He did save Gon from that Chimera Ant's head. It was kind of funny how he was annoyed at how his weapon behaves when both Gon and Killua rightfully questioned why he bothered to make it like that.

I wasn't expecting Rammot to use Nen. I just figured he was too injured from the previous episode, but maybe he was slowly starting to develop his Nen. I've been just wondering how a Chimera Ant born from a Hunter would be really powerful, but I didn't think that the already hatched Chimera Ants could develop Nen. That makes them even more dangerous. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

Scrappy-Fan92

"Its a drug factory"

Killua how would you know what a drug factory would look like.
https://media.giphy.com/media/ZEobigiRBFc7S/giphy.gif

What a brutal episode. Not a fan of Kite leaving those guys to die (yes, I'm aware his weapon is basically a roulette and may not have been useful, but you can try. Barring that, show some emotion). Killua has been non-lethal since the Hunter Exam, and I honestly do take that for granted sometimes. He still comes off as less creepy to me than Gon does at his worst moments.

Some of these Chimera Ant designs are still kind of goofy, and I'm not sure what the point is in trying to sexualize mosquito girl here (at least we know why she wore the medical mask now).

PapaGreg

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZEobigiRBFc7S/giphy.gif

What a brutal episode. Not a fan of Kite leaving those guys to die (yes, I'm aware his weapon is basically a roulette and may not have been useful, but you can try. Barring that, show some emotion). Killua has been non-lethal since the Hunter Exam, and I honestly do take that for granted sometimes. He still comes off as less creepy to me than Gon does at his worst moments.

Some of these Chimera Ant designs are still kind of goofy, and I'm not sure what the point is in trying to sexualize mosquito girl here (at least we know why she wore the medical mask now).
Leaving who to die also what does his weapon have to do with anything

Scrappy-Fan92

Those unlucky schmucks who I'm presuming were NGL soldiers/drug runners. And I meant how Kite's weapon is roulette-based and thus may have spawned in a useless form and Kite can't do anything about that.

Last edited:

PapaGreg

Those unlucky schmucks who I'm presuming were NGL soldiers/drug runners. And I meant how Kite's weapon is roulette-based and thus may have spawned in a useless form and Kite can't do anything about that.
Oh that the reason why Kite didn't save them was because he knew the ant had back up behind him and he was probably going to be open for a surprise attack

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts