Why was 2005-2009 a dark age for CN?

Hichesterbrook21

Many people say that CN wasn't as good in the mid to late 2000s as it was earlier that decade or in the 2010s. Why do you all think so? I believe it was because:
  • Live-action shows
  • Increased focus on Canadian imports
  • The popular 2000s shows (Foster's, EEnE, KND, Billy & Mandy, and others) were ending
  • The new shows (Chowder, Flapjack, Camp Lazlo, Gym Partner's, and others) that premiere weren't as popular or good

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Didn't you already make a thread like this? Anyway, I did like most of the CN shows from 2005-2009, even though I didn't watch CN until 2013.

Dynamite Soldier

Hold on, I don't recall many people stating that CN gone through decay in 2005 and 2006...
Live-action shows
Live-action didn't even start popping up until 2007, when Out of Jimmy's Head first premiered, among many others.
The popular 2000s shows (Foster's, EEnE, KND, Billy & Mandy, and others) were ending
Why do many people assume that a good show ending means that the entire network has decayed. Isn't it a good thing that a show doesn't gone on for too long to avoid rotting?

IMO, the 2004-2007 CN City era was decent (and played a huge part of my childhood). The 2007-2010 era, however...

Dr.Pepper

Wasn’t there already a thread like this? Anyways I think CN decayed in the late 2000’s mostly due to live action shows.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Wasn’t there already a thread like this? Anyways I think CN decayed in the late 2000’s mostly due to live action shows.
Yeah, that's when the decay in the USA started to me. Though here in Portugal, when we got the European feed, it was now infected by action shows and that wasn't good for my tastes. Until I realized that I could give CN another shot (their schedule was starting to improve over here) in August of 2010.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
I may have said this before in another thread, but here I go anyway:

CN wasn't in a dark age during those years and I really liked (and in a few cases even loved) most of the originals that debuted in those years/this era.

I would agree with everyone else here that CN is in something of a dark age right now.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Here in Asia, we were barely impacted by the "dark age" because none of the live action shows ever aired in the Asian feed to my knowledge, and the schedule still had some classics in desirable time slots, which was enough for 12-year-old me.

Anyways, CN did relatively well programming-wise up until 2009 imo. I admit there were more shows that didn't click with me than in the previous years, but I'll give them credit where it's due.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
I may have said this before in another thread, but here I go anyway:

CN wasn't in a dark age during those years and I really liked (and in a few cases even loved) most of the originals that debuted in those years/this era.

I would agree with everyone else here that CN is in something of a dark age right now.

I beg to differ. I think CN's current lineup is perfectly fine, and the batch of new shows coming to the network looks quite promising.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Here in Asia, we were barely impacted by the "dark age" because none of the live action shows ever aired in the Asian feed to my knowledge, and the schedule still had some classics in desirable time slots, which was enough for 12-year-old me.
Europe too. The only live-action series CN Europe aired when I still had it were Out of Jimmy's Head and Level Up. When it left Portugal it aired Incredible Crew.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Europe too. The only live-action series CN Europe aired when I still had it were Out of Jimmy's Head and Level Up. When it left Portugal it aired Incredible Crew.

Oh yeah those also aired in Southeast Asia. None of the actual CN Real shows made it to our feed though. And Incredible Crew never aired here.

Spirit49

The only show on CN I watched during this era was Ed, Edd n eddy but that ended during the era. So yeah, it was kind of a dark age because all of the cartoons ended and they brought in really bad live-action ones. I barely watched CN back then though. I didn't come back until 2010 for scooby-doo mystery incorporated and Adventure Time. This thread is kind of pointless though. Wasn't one like this already created?

personally i think the dark era for cartoon network was from 2009 to 2010 and 2013 to 2016 but who knows maybe in the next 5 to 10 years cartoon network might change greatly

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Here in Romania we got Out of Jimmy's Head, Level Up, My Spy Family, Cartoon Network Dance Club, The Latest Buzz, The Sarah Jane Adventures, M.I. High, Ben 10 Ultimate Challenge, Cartoon Network Scavenger Hunt and The Big Big Big BIG Cartoon Network Show

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Almost forgot about CN Dance Club South Africa (2009, 2011). I didn't count Ben 10: Ultimate Challenge as such because it's a game show.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Since this is the latest version of this thread, I'll just post this here (a recent youtube video I found mildly interesting):

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts