Remember when WB & 4Kids shows syndicated to CN?

moose_tracks12

This is just a nostalgic post, but I remember back when Saturday morning cartoons would eventually make their way onto CN for airings, specifically shows from Kids' WB and 4Kids. Shows like Animaniacs, Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, Pokemon, What's New Scooby-Doo, Static Shock, Ozzy & Drix, Xiaolin Showdown, TMNT 2003, Johnny Test, and a bunch more moved to CN for reruns and/or premiere continuations.

The reason I bring this up is because I remember these being one of the coolest times of CN. The days when CN would expand their library with Saturday morning cartoons airing on a daily basis on their channel was always so awesome to me.

What were your guys' favorite Saturday morning shows syndicated to CN?

Light Lucario

Staff member
I remember when Cartoon Network used to do this too. That's how I first watched Yu-Gi-Oh! back in the day. I still remember watching the Weevil duel they aired as part of a look at Kids' WB new shows. It took me awhile longer to get into the series, but that was my first exposure to the series. This was also how Cartoon Network used to air Pokemon. They would rerun episodes that Kids' WB already aired. They would be new to the channel, promoted for a couple of months and then they'd take it off the lineup until the next season or batch of episodes came in.

I'm also pretty sure that I watched the majority of TMNT 2k3 on Miguzi before watching premieres on 4Kids' block. It was always good to see Jackie Chan Adventures and Static Shock on Cartoon Network. Those were always fun to watch. I also have a big soft spot for the hour of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! they used to air on weeknights. Being able to watch my two favorite shows back to back always made me happy.

moose_tracks12

I remember when Cartoon Network used to do this too. That's how I first watched Yu-Gi-Oh! back in the day. I still remember watching the Weevil duel they aired as part of a look at Kids' WB new shows. It took me awhile longer to get into the series, but that was my first exposure to the series. This was also how Cartoon Network used to air Pokemon. They would rerun episodes that Kids' WB already aired. They would be new to the channel, promoted for a couple of months and then they'd take it off the lineup until the next season or batch of episodes came in.

I'm also pretty sure that I watched the majority of TMNT 2k3 on Miguzi before watching premieres on 4Kids' block. It was always good to see Jackie Chan Adventures and Static Shock on Cartoon Network. Those were always fun to watch. I also have a big soft spot for the hour of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! they used to air on weeknights. Being able to watch my two favorite shows back to back always made me happy.
Static Shock literally MADE my Friday nights. I always thought it was such an underrated action show that should've lasted more than 52 episodes. I still remember back in 2nd grade when i'd watch Static Shock and Teen Titans on Miguzi lead into new episodes of Foster's in Fridays. Those were such great days.

I also loved Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh back to back every weeknight back in '04 and '05, such a great duo of shows for primetime.

One thing I definitely wished was for Sonic X and Kirby Right Back at Ya to come to Cartoon Network. I always thought they would've fit so well on the network. They could've definitely aired on Miguzi.

jaylop97

Staff member
I remember having good memories of Ozzy and Drix, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh back when they were syndicated. Usually, I would watch these shows either syndicated or on Kids' WB because I really liked keeping up with those shows.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Static Shock literally MADE my Friday nights. I always thought it was such an underrated action show that should've lasted more than 52 episodes. I still remember back in 2nd grade when i'd watch Static Shock and Teen Titans on Miguzi lead into new episodes of Foster's in Fridays. Those were such great days.

I also loved Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh back to back every weeknight back in '04 and '05, such a great duo of shows for primetime.

One thing I definitely wished was for Sonic X and Kirby Right Back at Ya to come to Cartoon Network. I always thought they would've fit so well on the network. They could've definitely aired on Miguzi.

Static Shock was awesome and I'd still love a reboot one day. I loved watching Miguzi. Even though I think its peak didn't last as long and it isn't anywhere near as recognizable as Toonami, it was pretty fun and it did have a pretty solid lineup for the first year or two.

The other Saturday Morning show you left out is Winx Club.

Oh yeah. I first watched Winx Club on Miguzi. I'm still not sure why I liked the show as much as I did other than recognizing some of the voice actors from other 4Kids dubs.

moose_tracks12

By then Cartoon Network wasn't syndicating a lot of shows, one of the only few it did in 2009 was Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's.
I think the last official show that syndicated to CN from one of those Saturday morning blocks (Kids' WB/4Kids) was Tom & Jerry Tales back in late 2011. Since then, nothing else has syndicated from those blocks over to CN I don't think.

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

I remember those days. Although most of the shows were nothing I was really into, it was nice to get some variety. I watched Ozzy and Drix, Mucha Lucha, Xiolin Showdown, and What’s New Scooby Doo when I was bored and had nothing better to do.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, I don't think that they aired Di-Gata Defenders. They aired the first 52 episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, but I'm pretty sure that was the only Kids' WB show that they aired at the time. That was the last Yu-Gi-Oh! series Cartoon Network aired and they were still in the middle of a duel too. As much as I would have liked for Cartoon Network to pick up the series again once the Vortex block ended, it's really not surprising that they didn't considering how they treated both GX and 5D's.

It was too bad that they stopped doing this since it helped to give more exposure for the Kids' WB shows and provided some variety for Cartoon Network's lineup, but Kids' WB wasn't really making a lot of good shows by the time they stopped. They were well past their peak by 2009.

moose_tracks12

Yeah, I don't think that they aired Di-Gata Defenders. They aired the first 52 episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, but I'm pretty sure that was the only Kids' WB show that they aired at the time. That was the last Yu-Gi-Oh! series Cartoon Network aired and they were still in the middle of a duel too. As much as I would have liked for Cartoon Network to pick up the series again once the Vortex block ended, it's really not surprising that they didn't considering how they treated both GX and 5D's.

It was too bad that they stopped doing this since it helped to give more exposure for the Kids' WB shows and provided some variety for Cartoon Network's lineup, but Kids' WB wasn't really making a lot of good shows by the time they stopped. They were well past their peak by 2009.
Yeah, I think once it turned into CW4Kids in May 2008, the shows definitely died down in terms of quality. Though there were so many shows that I thought would've syndicated to CN at some point. I thought GoGoRiki and Viva Pinata were some cute and funny animal character comedies that could've been reran on cable. Those were some of the non-story driven shows that could've fit well on CN's lineup of programming.

I guess it was a sign that Saturday morning blocks were really on the verge of death. No wonder they officially shut these blocks down in 2014. A lot of kids may not have known about those Saturday morning shows in the very late 2000s/early 2010s because more and more families were getting or had cable. Kids didn't need networks like The CW and FOX to watch their weekend morning cartoons because they could just watch a channel where they play animation on a daily basis rather than just one day of the week. So in reality, I guess that syndicating Saturday morning shows to CN wouldn't have really benefited them at all during the very late 2000s/early 2010s.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, I think once it turned into CW4Kids in May 2008, the shows definitely died down in terms of quality. Though there were so many shows that I thought would've syndicated to CN at some point. I thought GoGoRiki and Viva Pinata were some cute and funny animal character comedies that could've been reran on cable. Those were some of the non-story driven shows that could've fit well on CN's lineup of programming.

I thought that the quality went down before it became the CW4Kids, but I basically stopped watching Kids' WB after they stopped airing Pokemon. I kind of wish I did keep up with watching at least The Batman since that show was pretty good, but I think losing my two favorite shows on the lineup made me too uninterested in the block despite my emotional attachment to it, although they at least aired all of Yu-Gi-Oh! DM.

I only vaguely remember GoGoRiki, but Viva Pinata would have been a nice fit for Cartoon Network. It was a cute fun show and it was too bad that it couldn't last longer. I think that the crew enjoyed working on it, but the game just wasn't particularly successful if I recall correctly.

moose_tracks12 said:
I guess it was a sign that Saturday morning blocks were really on the verge of death. No wonder they officially shut these blocks down in 2014. A lot of kids may not have known about those Saturday morning shows in the very late 2000s/early 2010s because more and more families were getting or had cable. Kids didn't need networks like The CW and FOX to watch their weekend morning cartoons because they could just watch a channel where they play animation on a daily basis rather than just one day of the week. So in reality, I guess that syndicating Saturday morning shows to CN wouldn't have really benefited them at all during the very late 2000s/early 2010s.

They were already pretty outdated by the mid 2000's, but there were still hits like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! to keep Kids' WB around for awhile longer. The rise of cable, services like Netflix become more common and especially faster Internet basically made the idea of a weekly cartoon block extremely unnecessary. Why wait a week to see cartoons when there are channels that play shows for kids all the time? Not to mention we can practically watch anything we want anytime we want without even leaving our homes. Exposure on Cartoon Network could have helped some shows on the CW blocks gain more exposure, but it probably wouldn't have changed how things turned out for them either.

Micahel Cataldo

Boomerang aired The Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries and What's New Scooby-Doo a few years back. Any chance the channel might air those two again?

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Boomerang aired The Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries and What's New Scooby-Doo a few years back. Any chance the channel might air those two again?

Don't believe so, now that the former just recently began streaming on the app, and the latter started around when the app came out.

I suppose I'd be surprised that except for LT/T&J they bring anything back to the linear already on the app.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts