"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
So long as the episodes show up later on the Disney apps, it’s air dates and times will be an issue.
Disney XD app or Disney Now, is the only way I watch new episodes of their shows. I wish something like that was around in my childhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I sometimes watch on the app, sometimes on TV. These Disney XD shows usually go up 12 AM Pacific on the day that the episode premieres.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Episode descriptions for "The Rise of Doc Ock" four-parter:
Sunday, Jan. 21
Original Series - Episode Premiere on Disney XD
Marvel's Spider-Man "The Rise of Doc Ock, Part One"
(8:00 - 8:30 A.M. EST)
When Otto Octavius is caught in an explosion that fuses his robot arms to his body, Spider-Man sees the opportunity to recruit "The Octopus" into becoming a hero.
TV-Y7 FV
Marvel's Spider-Man "The Rise of Doc Ock, Part Two"
(8:30 - 9:00 A.M. EST)
Spidey invites The Octopus to patrol the streets alongside Miles and himself until it becomes clear that Otto isn't exactly a team player.
TV-Y7 FV
Sunday, Jan. 28
Marvel's Spider-Man "The Rise of Doc Ock, Part Three"
(9:00 - 9:30 A.M. EST)
Peter spends a day at Oz Academy in the hopes of finding a clue that will convince HARRY that his Dad is out to destroy Spider-Man.
TV-Y7 FV
Marvel's Spider-Man "The Rise of Doc Ock, Part Four"(9:30 - 10:00 A.M. EST)
Spider-Man must team up with Gwen Stacy and a reluctant HARRY Osborn to investigate the truth behind the missing Raymond Warren aka the Jackal.
TV-Y7 FV

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
This Harry is too self-absorbed and paranoid to be of any help. (Though tbh how else would a 14 year old respond to being expelled?)

Frontier

Staff member
It seems like only the first two parts actually deal with Otto becoming Doctor Octopus, while the other two deal more with the Osborn/Jackal plot, though I guess it's possible Otto will still have a role in the story o_O.

"The Octopus?" Reminds me of Oliver Queen as "The Arrow." I guess they're saving "Doctor Octopus" for his Supervillain identity :evil:.

Peter at Osborn Academy might be interesting, if only to explore more of what's going on at that school and who the student body is. Maybe we'll see Herman/Shocker again :cool:.
This Harry is too self-absorbed and paranoid to be of any help. (Though tbh how else would a 14 year old respond to being expelled?)
He wouldn't be Harry Osborn if he wasn't ;).

Frontier

Staff member
Wikipedia apparently has episode titles for the rest of the season after "The Rise of Doc Ock":

Spider-Island Part 1-5

Hobgoblin Part 1-2 (Season Finale)

There are also very spoilery descriptions of a few of those episodes on the website, so steer clear from there if you don't want to be spoiled.

I would ordinarily say to take it with a grain of salt, but given Wikipedia also had a pretty acurrate description of "Screwball Live," I'm more tempted to take this at face-value.

Spideyfan123

Wikipedia apparently has episode titles for the rest of the season after "The Rise of Doc Ock":

Spider-Island Part 1-5

Hobgoblin Part 1-2 (Season Finale)

There are also very spoilery descriptions of a few of those episodes on the website, so steer clear from there if you don't want to be spoiled.

I would ordinarily say to take it with a grain of salt, but given Wikipedia also had a pretty acurrate description of "Screwball Live," I'm more tempted to take this at face-value.
Can you show,a link cause I don't see it

Matt Parker

Well, lots of stuff to look forward too:).

This defiantly looks like a new take on Doc Ock, which is fine by me, since we've seen the classic comic book Doc Ock done in both the 90s series and Spectacular. I like that Ock is being given a big four part arc. This show really gives it's storylines time to develop for the most part (Miles being the glaring exception).

Spider-Island sounds interesting. Not my favorite comic book storyline, but it was a pretty fun event and I like that this show is looking to more recent comics for inspiration. Keeps things fresh.

Looks like I was on the money about Harry becoming Hobgoblin. I really like this actually. There's prescadent for it in the comics, since that is how it was done in Ultimate, and Phill Urich, who was the third Hobgoblin (I think, maybe he was fourth) Was portrayed as a contemporary of Peter. Plus, Harry's character model in this series is designed to look like Phill.

Harry and Peter's friendship has been my favorite part of this series so far, so I'm definitely looking forward to that two parter. Hopefully we get a second season, because I'd like to see this show tackle the Norman as the Green Goblin, Carnage, and many other stories.

Frontier

Staff member
This defiantly looks like a new take on Doc Ock, which is fine by me, since we've seen the classic comic book Doc Ock done in both the 90s series and Spectacular. I like that Ock is being given a big four part arc. This show really gives it's storylines time to develop for the most part (Miles being the glaring exception).
I'm not sure if we can say at this point that we don't have classic Doc Ock here given we've seen so little with this version and he hasn't even become a Supervillain yet. About the only major differences is he seems younger here (but so is practically everyone else) :sweat:.

For all we know he's just on his way to becoming the diabolical and hammy Supervillain Doctor Octopus is known for :evil:.

I'm not sure if Ock needs a whole four-parter dedicated to his storyline, beyond fitting thematically, but given how little he's done in the first half I guess it's necessary to making his development into a villain as meaningful as it should be :cool:.

Spider-Island sounds interesting. Not my favorite comic book storyline, but it was a pretty fun event and I like that this show is looking to more recent comics for inspiration. Keeps things fresh.
Spider-Island isn't my favorite Spider-Man storyline, and it still feels weird doing it this early in the series, but at least they've been building up to it fairly well over the course of the season ;).

Looks like I was on the money about Harry becoming Hobgoblin. I really like this actually. There's prescadent for it in the comics, since that is how it was done in Ultimate, and Phill Urich, who was the third Hobgoblin (I think, maybe he was fourth) Was portrayed as a contemporary of Peter. Plus, Harry's character model in this series is designed to look like Phill.
There's also precedent for the Hobgoblin appearing before the Green Goblin, since the 90's cartoon did the same thing (though then it was because the toy companies forced them too while here it's a creative choice).

I also feel like it's worth mentioning that Robbie Daymond mentioned in a video log meeting Mark Hamill for a "Spidey-Session." Could he possibly be reprising the Hobgoblin here :eek:?

Harry and Peter's friendship has been my favorite part of this series so far, so I'm definitely looking forward to that two parter. Hopefully we get a second season, because I'd like to see this show tackle the Norman as the Green Goblin, Carnage, and many other stories.
A second season has already been confirmed :anime:.

Depending on how they handle things, I expect more developments with Venom, Mary Jane, and debuting Norman as the Green Goblin :D.

Last edited:

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
That's pretty funny we're gonna be getting a Spider-Man cartoon again where the Hobgoblin shows up before the Green Goblin.

TheLemsterPju

Knowing how Marvel wants to connect all their current animated properties in some way, does anyone else feel like that the Guardians of the Galaxy show will explain this world as taking place in a "pocket dimension" within the Marvel Animated Universe when the two shows crossover next year?

(For those who don't know what a pocket dimension is, it's basically if a smaller, similar universe existed within ours.)

Frontier

Staff member
That's pretty funny we're gonna be getting a Spider-Man cartoon again where the Hobgoblin shows up before the Green Goblin.
Now to see if they do what the 90's show did and use the Hobgoblin as a starting point for the Green Goblin being even more dangerous :evil:.
Knowing how Marvel wants to connect all their current animated properties in some way, does anyone else feel like that the Guardians of the Galaxy show will explain this world as taking place in a "pocket dimension" within the Marvel Animated Universe when the two shows crossover next year?

(For those who don't know what a pocket dimension is, it's basically if a smaller, similar universe existed within ours.)
I doubt they'll address it at all.

The Guardians, in the context of their show, have also never met Spider-Man so they'll probably just treat this like the first time they've ever encountered each other.

For all intents and purposes the Robbie Daymond Spider-Man will probably be the de-facto animated Spider-Man in any guest appearances now.

Troy Troodon

If they are pulling some Infinite Crisis on the Marvel animated status quo, I wouldn't mind it. Though why not just make a completely new animated continuity like they did before any way is beyond me.

Frontier

Staff member
If they are pulling some Infinite Crisis on the Marvel animated status quo, I wouldn't mind it. Though why not just make a completely new animated continuity like they did before any way is beyond me.
At this point the only real "continuity" between shows is the voice actors who reprise their roles, since even the designs can be radically different from show to show and we get stuff like Spider-Man meeting the Guardians for the first time (again) or meeting/teaming-up with Iron Man and Hulk for the first time (again).

TheLemsterPju

You guys have no imagination lol.

Yet Iron Fist looking like his USM self in Avengers: Secret Wars is a 'shocking' development? Eric Radomski (the current head of Marvel Animation) said at a Con or interview they do pay attention to continuity. Maybe not as much as many including myself want, but I appreciate that they actually care.

Frontier

Staff member
You guys have no imagination lol.

Yet Iron Fist looking like his USM self in Avengers: Secret Wars is a 'shocking' development? Eric Radomski (the current head of Marvel Animation) said at a Con or interview they do pay attention to continuity. Maybe not as much as many including myself want, but I appreciate that they actually care.
That's still the same kind of continuity I was talking about where they just keep a VA or some design elements intact, but that's about it.

With Marvel Animation "continuity" we could have Iron Fist appear on this show but with a different VA and personality to match either the Netflix shows or better match the comics, because that's just how Marvel rolls :p.

Frontier

Staff member
For those interested in seeing a new character's design, here are a couple of low-resolution screenshots from a future episode,
He looks like Mecha Hobgoblin :p.

I'm kind of surprised they went with a metal mask instead of a normal one. I wonder if that's meant as a reference to the Raimi Goblin mask o_O?

I'm also really curious to see what they do with the Green Goblin's design now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts