"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
These probably don't fit in the non-action category, but are still shows I think Toonami could give a shot:

• Candy Candy
  • Captain Harlock and The Queen of a Thousand Years
  • Captain Tsubasa
  • Cyber City Oedo 808
  • Fist of the North Star
  • Galaxy Express 999
  • Chrono Crusade
  • Knights of the Zodiac
  • Maetel Legend
  • Marine Boy
  • Nadia: Secret of Blue Water
  • Ninja Robots
  • Ninja The Wonder Boy
  • Robby The Rascal
  • Samurai Pizza Cats
  • Sherlock Hound
  • Spaceship Sagittarius
  • Space Symphony Maetel
  • Swat Kats
  • Tico of the Seven Seas
  • Time Bokan
  • Toward The Terra
  • Ulysses 31

Anyone else agree with at least one series or are my tastes completely out of touch?

Light Lucario

Staff member
Hey guys. So I've noticed that over this past year (and perhaps longer) we've had some difficulty in getting talk back threads started up for some of the Toonami shows (mainly new ones), pretty much since we just don't have people volunteering to start them up. So in the interest of ensuring that we always have a place to discuss the Toonami shows as they air, perhaps, instead of making individual talk back threads for each show, maybe we could make one all-inclusive thread for all the Toonami shows each week.

Just an idea I had that I'm tossing out there, and something to think about over the holidays.

I don't think that this would work out too well. It might help with some of the newer shows that aren't too popular here, such as Black Clover, but I think that the threads would be a bit unorganized with this setup. There are quite a few shows on the block's lineup and going back and forth between them might make it confusing for people. Not to mention it would make it more difficult for people like me who wait until after the block aired to talk about the episodes. Most of the episode threads also usually generate a decent amount of posts. It usually varies depending on what happens in the episodes. The slow Hunter x Hunter and IBO episodes tend to have fewer posts than the more action packed ones. It might work for those who comment on the block live, but not really for anyone else and it would be a bit too much for one thread to cover every new episode on the block.

A series talkback thread for some of the older series that the block airs, like what happened with Eureka Seven and currently Outlaw Star, is fine, but I think covering the entire block's weekly lineup into one thread would just cause more problems than solutions. We'll just keep trying to get the episode threads available when we can. It's usually only a problem if no one is interested in the new show.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
These probably don't fit in the non-action category, but are still shows I think Toonami could give a shot:
(snip)

The Fist of the North Star movie would make for an epic movie night.

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water was one they wanted in the past, but I think they ruled out for its age.

Chrono Crusade is one in Funimation's back catalog I could realistically see, though it's already had runs on Syfy and Showtime.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
They're not going to air the old 80's Fist of the North Star movie, OR the old Fist of the North Star TV series from the 80's.

There was some OAV's or movies made just a few years back though...that might be intriguing.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
They're not going to air the old 80's Fist of the North Star movie, OR the old Fist of the North Star TV series from the 80's.

There was some OAV's or movies made just a few years back though...that might be intriguing.

They can get the upcoming Fist of the Blue Sky adaptation that's coming in April (Blue Sky is the prequel series to North Star from the original creators). It's not clear yet if it's a brand new adaptation or continuing from where the 2006 adaptation left off (unlikely but possible), but if it's the former, then this seems like the perfect time for the FotNS franchise to finally make its way to Toonami.

wjbraden

Just got done watching the Bebop marathon with my dad, and I have to say it was a very nostalgic experience, for two of us who have been watching adult swim since 2001. It's also amazing how well the show has held up over all these years, truly a work of art all the way around.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Just got done watching the Bebop marathon with my dad, and I have to say it was a very nostalgic experience, for two of us who have been watching adult swim since 2001. It's also amazing how well the show has held up over all these years, truly a work of art all the way around.
"Jamming with Edward" is still my favorite episode.

Scrappy-Fan92

• Candy Candy
  • Captain Tsubasa
  • Cyber City Oedo 808
  • Fist of the North Star
  • Galaxy Express 999
  • Chrono Crusade
  • Knights of the Zodiac
  • Maetel Legend
  • Marine Boy
  • Ninja Robots
  • Ninja The Wonder Boy
  • Robby The Rascal
  • Samurai Pizza Cats
  • Sherlock Hound
  • Spaceship Sagittarius
  • Space Symphony Maetel
  • Swat Kats
  • Tico of the Seven Seas
  • Time Bokan
  • Toward The Terra
  • Ulysses 31

Anyone else agree with at least one series or are my tastes completely out of touch?
Sadly I feel most of these are too old to air on Toonami, although I am curious about seeing Samurai Pizza Cats.

If the crew is at least considering "non-action" anime, then perhaps it's time to dip their toes back into the Tenchi well...
(I will also accept The Devil is a Part-Timer!).

jaylop97

Staff member

• Candy Candy
  • Captain Tsubasa
  • Cyber City Oedo 808
  • Fist of the North Star
  • Galaxy Express 999
  • Chrono Crusade
  • Knights of the Zodiac
  • Maetel Legend
  • Marine Boy
  • Ninja Robots
  • Ninja The Wonder Boy
  • Robby The Rascal
  • Samurai Pizza Cats
  • Sherlock Hound
  • Spaceship Sagittarius
  • Space Symphony Maetel
  • Swat Kats
  • Tico of the Seven Seas
  • Time Bokan
  • Toward The Terra
  • Ulysses 31

Knowing Swat Kats efforts of returning it would make lead to a good idea if Toonami returns it to see if it would be able to see enough support to lead for a return of the show itself, much like with Samurai Jack.

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Knowing Swat Kats efforts of returning it would make lead to a good idea if Toonami returns it to see if it would be able to see enough support to lead for a return of the show itself, much like with Samurai Jack.

Though I don't think it'd go that well, as long as Toonami/[as] want to test waters of more western animation, wonder the thoughts if they were to create a newer Swat Kats series for the block. If not that, then something else. It'd be better imo anyway for something original as I wouldn't want to see too many kids series turned adult the way Jack did, but it would still be interesting for them to try something. Wouldn't necessarily have to be a long series either but a simple limited run that should it do well they can get more episodes or try a different series.

Checkerboard

To be fair, neither Samurai Jack nor Swat Kats were exactly for kids to begin with. For animated programming they were quite brutal - especially by today's tame sugarcoated standards. So I think that Swat Kats, similarly to Samurai Jack, should really fit well on the block. I'll ask the Tremblay's what they think about it. Could help them make that reboot.

Also, thanks everyone for all the opinions and answers!

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
To be fair, neither Samurai Jack nor Swat Kats were exactly for kids to begin with. For animated programming they were quite brutal - especially by today's tame sugarcoated standards.

Heh, got that right

Hindsight you're right though I never got into Swat Kats but I'll sway to your reasoning. They're shows that just happened to be on watchable times for kids which slightly off, brings up LT/T&J and other older cartoons (Droopy for example which I watched earlier) that have a lot of adult themes but the slapstick is likely what got kids into it.

I suppose with that said, I wouldn't mind seeing a potential reboot of something like Swat Kats for Toonami. As mentioned earlier I'd still hope they go for something original (which I think Tartakovsky is going for anyway) and not necessarily try to cater to longtime fans. Whatever brings in viewers though.

Checkerboard

You're right about the slots and I agree that brand new original programming in general is better and maybe Toonami will eventually produce its own show this generation - FLCL/Samurai Jack isn't exactly new as you said. But when the opportunity for bringing back something old arises and the stars align so the speak, why not go for it when it could work?

Scrappy-Fan92

To be fair, neither Samurai Jack nor Swat Kats were exactly for kids to begin with. For animated programming they were quite brutal - especially by today's tame sugarcoated standards. So I think that Swat Kats, similarly to Samurai Jack, should really fit well on the block. I'll ask the Tremblay's what they think about it. Could help them make that reboot.

Also, thanks everyone for all the opinions and answers!
I'll have to disagree on the bolded part. Most shows today just happen to be a bit more subtle with their darker subject matter (unless you're Gravity Falls, because Disney just turned a blind eye after a while).

Checkerboard

It's not just about being dark. It's also about having a serious tone, focusing on action and story, featuring gore/violence/blood/language and having the animation to support it. The overall package. These days everything is watered down, simple and friendly to be correct and not potentially offensive unless it's online on demand where less people can see it and even then it's questionable when compared with the old which dared to push the envelope. You look at action shows from the 80s/90s and they're an over the top adrenaline rush. You look at action shows now and... there really even aren't any. From tens of titles we have gone to a handful and even those don't hold up particularly well - especially visually. These days there is nothing to watch on TV. You have Adult Swim, Toonami and maybe Comedy Central and TBS to appeal to you as an adult, because those are the only mature destinations, but if you want specifically animated western action targeting both teens and adults there is nowhere to go let alone anything to enjoy - old stuff isn't aired and new stuff isn't made. Anime isn't the same thing. Season 5 of Samurai Jack was thus sort of a miracle frankly. Action as a genre is pretty much dead and it's only because people have let it happen and are okay with it.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm just surprised that we haven't heard of what show will replace Lupin. I was positive that we'd get some announcement before the end of the year, but I guess they didn't want to announce a new show that far in advance this time. They usually only announce something far in advance if it's a big deal, but I thought that they would have wanted to end the year with some announcement. We still have a couple of episodes left, so we should probably hear something within the next couple of weeks.

SpaceCowboy

On the subject of Cowboy Bebop, it's going to be interesting to see people's reactions when the two-part series finale re-airs. Unlike prior airings on Adult Swim, two of the most violent episodes of the series will be shown uncut for the first time. The prior version had like a paint edit in almost every shot, it was like watching a different show.

Last edited:

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
I'm just surprised that we haven't heard of what show will replace Lupin. I was positive that we'd get some announcement before the end of the year, but I guess they didn't want to announce a new show that far in advance this time. They usually only announce something far in advance if it's a big deal, but I thought that they would have wanted to end the year with some announcement. We still have a couple of episodes left, so we should probably hear something within the next couple of weeks.

I was beginning to think that would be the case instead of the two-week notice thing so I suppose I'm somewhat surprised myself by this. Could very well be announced by next weekend or the next. Looking at zap2it, it looks like we have three episodes left as the one for the following weekend (Jan 13) is Part 1. Looking like January 27th will be that replacement show.

On the subject of Cowboy Bebop, it's going to be interesting to see people's reactions when the two-part series finale re-airs. Unlike prior airings on Adult Swim, two of the most violent episodes of the series will be shown uncut for the first time. The prior version aired had like an edit in almost every scene, it was like watching a different show.

As someone who's never seen the episodes uncut until watching them currently, I'd not realized there were [many] edits in those. I'd seen each episoed (like possibly many others) handfuls of times, so with that you said, should be a rather interesting first experience for me. Perhaps the way it was for you seeing it edited, could for me be like watching a new show. I wonder what the chances are I'll actually notice depending on my level of paying attention.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts