"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I want to see Jontron review this special, though given his notoriously long gaps between videos we probably wouldn't be seeing it for a while yet.

Looking at it now it reminds me of another thing Jon reviewed - a Christian PC game called The Zoo Race:

And the way you described your fantasy "worst Christmas special ever" actually seems more suited for a creepypasta. If anything, the Candle Cove Christmas special wouldn't be too far off.
Well, there are long gaps because nobody likes him anymore; not since his bigoted chats went public.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Well, there are long gaps because nobody likes him anymore; not since his bigoted chats went public.
Actually, he's always had rather long gaps between videos, even before the backlash (compare to Caddicarus who uploads a new review every week and actually has a consistent schedule, which Jon does not have). It was only after that when everyone who's not a fan really noticed.

Last edited:

twilicorn

ooooh I'm betting it's either Retail Christmas, Rapsittie, Annabelle, or maaaaaaybe the original cut of Frosty. If the first Misfit comes up and it's one of those four, then I surely deserve a special prize.
Sorry for double posting but I somehow felt that Rapsittie Street Kids would be the first misfit of the year since it's starting to become less obscure and could even become one of the most well-known misfits next to the Star Wars Holiday Special. So my feeling that I would get some sort of recognition for correctly predicting the first Misfit of the year is kinda diluted.
By the way, how are the next Misfits going? Can you give a hint about what the next one will be?

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Sorry for double posting but I somehow felt that Rapsittie Street Kids would be the first misfit of the year since it's starting to become less obscure and could even become one of the most well-known misfits next to the Star Wars Holiday Special. So my feeling that I would get some sort of recognition for correctly predicting the first Misfit of the year is kinda diluted.
By the way, how are the next Misfits going? Can you give a hint about what the next one will be?
SomeBODY

That's all you get. I've probably said too much.

twilicorn

twilicorn

The Misfit Christmas Specials start coming and they don't stop coming! Next up is Shrek the Halls! Does it have what it takes to break the mo-wold?

http://www.platypuscomix.net/darkvault/misfits/misfit61.html
I KNEW IT

I believe "Shrek is love, Shrek is life" was the turning point of the Internet's fascination with Shrek. For those not in the know, these are greentext stories about the OP being obsessed with Shrek, usually getting wronged in some way, then Shrek comes in and mutilates the OP in the goriest ways possible, ending with "Shrek is love, Shrek is life." If it wasn't that, then it was probably Neil Cicierega's trippy music video "Mouth" (a.k.a. The Sharpest Tool, which the song goes by on the Mouth Sounds album):

Last edited:

Dsneybuf

I've found it confusing that "All Star" would become permanently associated with Shrek, since it existed long before that movie came out. Also, the version I find least intolerable actually comes from Rat Race, but that movie doesn't seem that well-known in general.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I've found it confusing that "All Star" would become permanently associated with Shrek, since it existed long before that movie came out. Also, the version I find least intolerable actually comes from Rat Race, but that movie doesn't seem that well-known in general.
My guess is that a lot of the people associating All Star with Shrek grew up watching it and found out about the song through that.

twilicorn

My guess is that a lot of the people associating All Star with Shrek grew up watching it and found out about the song through that.
Yes, and it was a huge hit back in 1999-2000, being used in other movies like Inspector Gadget and the Digimon movie. But it was through Shrek becoming a meme that the song became permanently associated with Shrek.
Interestingly, All Star wasn't originally going to be in Shrek. The original plan was to use an original song for the opening and All Star was just put there to get the timing of the scene down, but it worked so well that they just kept it in.
Meanwhile, in an alternate universe they used "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies instead, and instead of "someBODY" we'd be saying "it's been..."

twilicorn

"One Week" has become one of my favorite songs, so I'd hate it having no life outside of Shrek.
and I just remembered that it was also in the Digimon movie.

Also Peter, with 5 days left to Christmas, will we get another misfit in that short window of time, or will it get delayed to well after Christmas like the Gaga article?

twilicorn

For the last act of this year's Misfit Christmas Specials, an alien from Melmac rips your heart out and eats it! Be prepared with hankies for ALF'S SPECIAL CHRISTMAS!
http://www.platypuscomix.net/darkvault/misfits/misfit62.html
It came on time!!!

I say it's on par with Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie - they were going for more of a bittersweet angle (the Muppet theater is made a historical landmark; the Tanners give Tiffany a surprise holiday visit, making what may be her last Christmas worthwhile). But at least the Muppet one wasn't based on a real dead girl.

Last edited:

Mysterious H

The most depressing thing ALF was ever involved in? Count yourself lucky you've never seen Project ALF, then. Makes this look like a party.

twilicorn

There's only 364 days to prepare for the next crop of Misfits, so here's a suggestion for next year: whatever this is. This is from my own collection and I can't identify it cause the titles and credits were never recorded. All I know is that it's about dogs and this is the main character, who is an Afghan hound. Can anyone identify this thing for me? And more importantly, does Peter already have a copy?

tumblr_p1li98odDT1u7c6spo1_540.jpg

ShadowBlinky

There's only 364 days to prepare for the next crop of Misfits, so here's a suggestion for next year: whatever this is. This is from my own collection and I can't identify it cause the titles and credits were never recorded. All I know is that it's about dogs and this is the main character, who is an Afghan hound. Can anyone identify this thing for me? And more importantly, does Peter already have a copy?

tumblr_p1li98odDT1u7c6spo1_540.jpg
What-a-Mess?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts