"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
It was supposed to be at the end of this year (Toonami usually airs a series finale at year's end so something new can take its place next year), but these marathons have thrown a monkey wrench into that plan. Unless they double up on Lupin premieres, it will have to extend into January.

Don't see that happening with just two non-marathon days left in 2017. Going by the list of episodes ANN shows and looking to see which one will be aired this week (#21 of 24), they'd need to double as of this week and then do the two-parter the following week, so those last two will likely play the first couple Saturdays in January meaning the January 20th broadcast of Toonami we'll have Lupin's replacement begin that night. (Also possibly not find out that replacement until by the January 6th Toonami)

Light Lucario

Staff member
I still think that they'll announce Lupin's replacement sometime this month. While they usually wait until a couple of weeks before a show ends to reveal a new show, aside from some really big announcements, I don't think that they'll wait until January to reveal Lupin's replacement when it will only have two more episodes to air. Plus, they'll probably want to have something to get people excited about for the new year in regards towards the block.

SpaceCowboy

Now that Sony (the licensor of the Bebop movie) owns Funimation, perhaps it may be easier to re-acquire than in the past(?).

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
Of all the series they could've marathoned for the holiday, I'm happy they chose Cowboy Bebop.
For me at least, it carries a nostalgic warmth to it that meshes well with the holidays and can be relaxing watch on it's own.

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Now that Sony (the licensor of the Bebop movie) owns Funimation, perhaps it may be easier to re-acquire than in the past(?).

Didn't think about that. I just wonder if they're planning to play it at all though even after the series ends in its first full run of the new copies. Would be a nice treat but also at the same time it's still a movie repeat and even if it was one exception, I could only see them playing it later in the night. They could always still attempt it earlier but just not sure even in Bebop's case. Worst (or best?) scenario is I could see them playing it at 2am to end the block. Wouldn't be so bad to eliminate one week of [mostly] reruns for it - Shippuden gets skipped but with how long it'll take anyway, what's another week?

For me though I'd like to see it again just because I think I only have once and the day it debuted on [as], and I think there was an issue with the audio.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Of all the series they could've marathoned for the holiday, I'm happy they chose Cowboy Bebop.
For me at least, it carries a nostalgic warmth to it that meshes well with the holidays and can be relaxing watch on it's own.

In retrospect, I did speak about how marathons are supposed to be "comfort food television" just 3 weeks ago. I guess I had just gotten my hopes up for a Lupin or Jojo marathon. A "Samurai Jack Halloween" marathon, a "DBZ Kai Thanksgiving" marathon, and a "DB Super New Years" marathon all felt like Toonami taking the easy way out.

But I can appreciate the airing of a classic anime (like Bebop) around Christmas. It be really cool if they would toss in some extras for animation, and have TOM wearing a Christmas hat or have TOM and Sara visit a planet with snow or something. I mean, if you're going to have a holiday marathon, make the bumpers extra special. That'd be festive.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Why Bebop? Why not Outlaw Star?

Bebop's been on Adult Swim for as long as Adult Swim's existed. We ONLY JUST got Outlaw Star back.

Nobodyman

Why Bebop? Why not Outlaw Star?

Bebop's been on Adult Swim for as long as Adult Swim's existed. We ONLY JUST got Outlaw Star back.
To quote Fry from Futurama.

"TV audiences don't want anything original. They wanna see the same thing they've seen a thousand times before."

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
To quote Fry from Futurama.

"TV audiences don't want anything original. They wanna see the same thing they've seen a thousand times before."

Ironic that at one time, that was original ;)

Given OS was (and still is) a mere 2 episodes ahead of Bebop they could have easily done 11 of those and probably the first 11 skipping episodes 12 and 13. Makes most sense to me than starting a marathon just at the third episode. I'll still easily settle for Bebop though.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
News from Demarco. Scratch Mob Psycho 100 and Ancient Magus Bride from your Toonami wishlist. https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/143922402537. He also asks about fans' interest in non-action anime, . Is there the possibility of non-action anime ever finding a home? With the death of Anime Unleashed and Ani-Monday, Toonami is the last anime block on TV and it only shows the action anime. Where do shows like Abenobashi, Cromartie High School, Now and Then Here and There, and Monster go without a non-action anime block?

jaylop97

Staff member
Its really hard to imagine a non action anime on Toonami considering how most popular anime tend to be action it would be Toonami likely going the extra mile in finding a program that can have a big impact on viewers.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
There are some vocal slice-of-life fans and moe fans, but these might be a loud minority. I wonder if Love Live would be a big hit or not. Some Asian music TV channel that no one gets has aired it in the US, but no big channel like Adult Swim has.

Volthoom

Cromartie Highschool.

Just to read the reactions of people watching it(and to watch it myself).

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
Comedy would be the easiest to grab an audience for in my opinion. Things like The Devil is a Part-Timer!, Osomatsu-san, Panty and Stocking, etc.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Honestly, the idea of Toonami having a non-action series on their lineup would be pretty weird. While the block is primarily anime now, they've always made it clear that it's an action block right from the start. It's why shows that weren't really action series, such as Hamatro, stuck out lie a sore thumb on the lineup. I'm not sure if he was asking about this just out of curiosity or if he is looking into the possibility of getting other kind of shows on the lineup, especially if they are going to run into the problem of not being able to afford the rights to new popular shows.

That's too bad about Mob Psycho. Since it's from the same creator as One Punch Man, I would have expected they'd have an easier time getting it. I've heard good things about The Ancient Magus Bride, but I don't know if that would fit on the block either.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts