Standalone Christmas Episodes of Animated Shows

The Watcher

I was watching the Hey Arnold Christmas special last night and it really got me thinking about this. Are there any Christmas episodes of animated shows or even anime that would still work for people who haven't seen those shows?

Gear3dGryph0n

I'm too lazy to make a decent list right now, but I could say for sure that virtually any episodic show that doesn't rely on an overarching plotline could count.

I think the best one could be A Pinky and the Brain Christmas, for a series that was ongoing when the episode aired.

Also, notably, there are quite a few cartoons that began with Christmas episodes or specials. The Simpsons, The Raccoons, and The Forgotten Toys are all examples.

But I really do like the idea of Christmas episodes being used to bring in viewers that don't normally watch the shows in question. I wish networks and show staffs would run with the idea in a similar way to how Britain has with its Christmas TV traditions.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I think most Christmas epsiodes are standalone episodes.

For instance the Guardians of the Galaxy episode "Jingle Bell Rock". It's episode 21, but in the United States it was aired as the season 1 finale because it wouldn't make sense to air it in April / June.

Same with the Transformers Animated episode "Human Error". No need to watch the previous episodes, I think.

Shows where all episodes are standalone obviously have standalone Christmas episodes too:
A Johnny Bravo Christmas
Johnny Bravo - Twas the Night
Batman: TAS - Christmas with the Joker
The New Batman Adventures - Holiday Knights
Ben 10 - Merry Christmas (even though it's summer vacation :D )
Buzz Lightyear of Star Command - Holiday Time
Camp Lazlo - Kamp Kringle
Grossology - Let Them Eat Fruitcake
Dexter's Laboratory - Dexter vs Santa's Claws
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends - A Lost Claus
George of the Jungle - Jungle Bells / The Goat of Christmas Presents
Billy & Mandy Save Christmas
Kappa Mikey - A Christmas Mikey
Kim Possible - A Very Possible Christmas
Martin Mystery - Eternal Christmas
Martin Mystery - All I Want for X-Mas
Duck in the Halls: A Mickey Mouse Christmas Special
Clarence - Merry Moochness
Justice League Action - Party Animal

I haven't seen all of those yet.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I think most Christmas epsiodes are standalone episodes.

Yeah seriously due to a lot of Christmas episodes (honestly like most holiday episodes) only airing around a specific time of year anyway most Christmas episodes of any show are standalones but especially cartoons since you can more easily market them as specials otherwise. Honestly a better or at least more interesting question would be which cartoons have Christmas episodes that AREN'T standalone and have story elements that would require them being put in context with the rest of the series. I mean the biggest examples I can think of is Futurama's X-Mas special if only because we have seen the Robot Santa Claus in non christmas related episodes (most notably Bender's Big Score). Then there's Adventure Time's "Holly Jolly Secrets" as that episode is the first reveal of The Ice King/Simon's backstory that gets expanded on a lot in later seasons. And Moral Orel's "The Best Christmas Ever"/"Honor" as the former is the season one finale with reveals that impact the rest of the series and Honor being the series finale which wraps up the big "Oral realizing the truth about his father" thing going on throughout that whole last season. Can't think of many others personally that feel like you need to see the rest of the series or really know about it or the Christmas specials don't impact the series as a whole.

The Watcher

I could understand anime episodes having a hard time with this. Two that come to mind are Comic Party (which takes place during the final episodes) and Legend of the Mystical Ninja (that one being a transition from one main villain to another).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
My favorite was "Molly Jolly Christmas" from TaleSpin back in the day. I always got the sniffles by the end.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Yeah seriously due to a lot of Christmas episodes (honestly like most holiday episodes) only airing around a specific time of year anyway most Christmas episodes of any show are standalones but especially cartoons since you can more easily market them as specials otherwise. Honestly a better or at least more interesting question would be which cartoons have Christmas episodes that AREN'T standalone and have story elements that would require them being put in context with the rest of the series. I mean the biggest examples I can think of is Futurama's X-Mas special if only because we have seen the Robot Santa Claus in non christmas related episodes (most notably Bender's Big Score). Then there's Adventure Time's "Holly Jolly Secrets" as that episode is the first reveal of The Ice King/Simon's backstory that gets expanded on a lot in later seasons. And Moral Orel's "The Best Christmas Ever"/"Honor" as the former is the season one finale with reveals that impact the rest of the series and Honor being the series finale which wraps up the big "Oral realizing the truth about his father" thing going on throughout that whole last season. Can't think of many others personally that feel like you need to see the rest of the series or really know about it or the Christmas specials don't impact the series as a whole.
We Bare Bears mostly has standalone episodes, but I think the episode "Christmas Parties" should be watched after the other Tabes episodes. But not necessarily, I suppose.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
George of the Jungle - Jungle Bells / The Goat of Christmas Presents
I personally don't think it is standalone, especially since the episode wasn't put apart from the rest of the season. For me, standalone specials are not comissioned to be part of one season in particular. Just like what Phineas and Ferb did.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I personally don't think it is standalone, especially since the episode wasn't put apart from the rest of the season. For me, standalone specials are not comissioned to be part of one season in particular. Just like what Phineas and Ferb did.
Standalone =/= special
A standalone episode can be watched without having to watch any other episode in advance. All episodes of George of the Jungle 2007 are standalone except episode 26.

Lonestarr

Stop eating my sesame cake!
Staff member
6teen's "Deck the Mall" works pretty well in showing us the characters. Plus, it has what may be one of my all-time favorite gags on this show: the gang can't agree on a movie to see, so they end up seeing (Jude's choice) Torque 2: More Torque, starring an amazing Vin Diesel impression ("For the 60 seconds when I'm behind the wheel, nothing else matters, not even the babes.").

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts