"The Flash (2014)" Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
It's The Flash fourth season premiere! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

'Like' The Flash on Facebook
'Follow' The Flash on Twitter

theflashtb.jpg
"The Flash Reborn" - Season Premiere
Tuesday, October 10, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
With Barry in the speed force, Iris, Kid Flash, Joe and Vibe have taken over protecting Central City.

Season One talkback
Season Two talkback
Season Three talkback

CWTV.com - The Flash

hobbyfan

For the uninitiated:

The Samuroids were originally introduced nearly 50 years ago in a 2-part story that took Barry & Iris to Japan. Yes, they were robots then, too. They were led by a Baron Katana, and, to tell you the truth, I thought we'd see him.

We get our first tease of the Thinker. Whee. Caitlin's having issues related to her Killer Frost persona. Seems her boss at the bar isn't exactly on the up and up......

Nice knowing that Wally's ego hasn't been bruised. The teaser for next week suggests a homage to some of the goofier moments of the Silver Age. Whee.

Road to Gotham

The Samuriod were created by Frank Robbins, Ross Andru, and
Mike Esposito.
FLASH #180 and #181. 1968.
Reprinted in SHOWCASE FLASH Vol. #4.

Wally had a quick cameo in tonights LEGENDS episode.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Flash “The Flash Reborn”

Oh, thank God! The show is FUN again! Please let this be a permanent thing! Only after seeing that do I realize how much season 3 sucked.

Caitlin having a split personality from Killer Frost will be fun. Excellent way for the show to have its cake and eat it too. Don’t know how they’ll explain the hair color change, because previously, it was shown to be permanent. But if it can go back and forth at will, there might be something supernatural going on. TBD...

I disliked the beard, but I love the longer hair. I hope it isn’t cut next week. Grant Gustin looks great in bangs.

The Thinker has an amazing design. I don’t know anything about the comics version, but I didn’t quite expect THAT. It looks great.

The Flash is back! For real! ****1/2.

goatbat

This episode was so great to watch! It had me crying and laughing (Wally's great at speaking Japanese, I wonder if he watches anime).

Do I think that it was kind of cheating to say that the speed force magically took away all his issues and negative emotions? Maybe a little, but I don't care because I can't wait to get happy Barry back.

Also, that last scene was kind of cheesy. It reminded me of old anime or tv shows where they show the bad guy in their mysterious hideout and coming up with some evil plan. However, the Thinker looks fantastic. I don't actually know that much about him, but I look forward to seeing what he does! Not having a speedster villain will be awesome!

Hopefully this drastic improvement in storytelling and cinematography that was shown in episode 1 continues for the rest of the season!

What do you think the Thinker's plan is? He clearly needs the Flash for something...

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
New Flash! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

theflashtb.jpg
"Mixed Signals"
Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
Barry has his hands full when he takes on a dangerous meta who can control technology, while also confronting an obstacle in his personal life.

hobbyfan

Kilg%re was a product of the post-Crisis era Wally West Flash series, created by Mike Baron and Jackson Guice. However, it was retconned in recent years to be linked to Max Lord, and since they can't use Max here, we get a vengeful millennial seeking payback from his former partners for stealing his concept. I read the original Kilg%re story, but can't remember the details (hey, it was 30 years ago). Anyway, this seems to be closer to the original story, which the only thing I can remember about it is it had something to do with Tina McGee's ex-husband, IIRC.

There is a sequence that, as noted last week, pays homage to the early Silver Age Flash. Goofy, but not as funny as the subplot with Cisco, Gypsy, and Caitlin.

St. Shaq Day?!?! Cisco, that was just plain goofy.

Otaku-sempai

As cool as it is to be able to snatch the shrapnel from a grenade in mid-air, I do wish someone had remembered that the grenade would generate a concussive shock wave as well.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
One thing that should be noted when it comes to last night's episode is the ending, in particular:

1. It does suggest that Kilg%re will show up again later in the season, as him eventually being caught and sent to prison is part of the The Thinker's plan.

2. It's most likely that we'll be getting at least 11 more "non-Particle Accelerator metas" this season, suggesting that the writers are putting more effort into the planning of this season.

hobbyfan

The Thinker's plan is to have them all in Iron Heights for a mass breakout? Where have we seen that before??? Not exactly original.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Flash "Mixed Signals"

Donna Pescow is still alive and getting work? Cool! I am less surprised by Richard Brooks' alive status, but it's still been awhile since I've seen him in anything. Both he and Jesse L. Martin are Law & Order compatriots.

I love the therapy session. It's all cute and endearing, and you laugh when Iris asks the therapist if she's writing down that Barry ran out on the session. Barry is earnest and lovable, as he's trying to rationalize his quirks... until Iris asks him how he could leave her like that. And suddenly Barry seems less like a clueless goofball and more like a clueless jerk. And I didn't understand the subtext there until she screamed that.

Everybody being annoyed at Cisco's problematic additions to the suit is justified. He made all of these new bells and whistles to prepare for specific contingencies without considering the repercussions of what would happen if Barry lost control of the suit. One of the reasons high tech suits always bother me (and this goes for Batman Beyond too) is that the hero sometimes too heavily relies on them. I am glad this episode dealt with the issue head-on.

I strongly suspect Cisco only did the floatation device thing because he thought it would be funny. He's not wrong.

It is hard to imagine an entire world where Santa Claus is not a thing.

Love the "Oliver Queen is Green Arrow" newspaper headline, and kind of would have liked to have heard and dealt with Barry's reactions more. That's a pretty big thing, that could actually compromise Barry identity should Oliver's Green Arrow missions from the Arrowcave become public knowledge, but I at least know why they kept it merely an Easter Egg: So as not to tip off the next Arrow.

OneOneOne day was obviously only created so greeting card companies could make a buck.

Caitlin appears to if not at least be aware of what happens when she's Killer Frost, to at least be aware bad things happen when she is. Interesting.

Good week. I could get used to this show being TV-PG every week. ****.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Lets keep this party polite! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

theflashtb.jpg
"Luck Be a Lady"
Tuesday, October 24, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
Barry and the team are hit by a string of bad luck and realize it is the handiwork of a new meta, Becky nicknamed Hazard, who has the ability to give others bad luck.

Frontier

Staff member
I liked Becky :).

Casual dismissal of the harmful effects of her powers and robbing banks aside, she seemed like a nice girl ;).

Wonderwall

Staff member
Becky was played by Stephanie "Sugar" Beard, its crazy she's almost 40, she still looks the same since I first saw her nearly 20 years ago as a host on YTV and as the English dub actress for Chibi Moon. Still looking fine too ;)

And Harry Wells is back, always good to see Tom Cavanagh. So far this season is off to a better start to last season by a lot, hope it can keep it up while ironing at some of the weaker points aka Wally and Iris.

Road to Gotham

Although Sugar Lyn Beard had an annoying voice as HAZARD I did like her take on the character.

Also nice to have Harry back from Earth-2.
Too Wally got the text brake up message from Jessie.

Becky Sharp aka Hazard in the comics is the Granddaughter of JSA Villain The Gambler.
Created by Roy Thomas and Todd McFarlane

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Rebecca_Sharpe_(New_Earth)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Flash "Luck Be A Lady"

Where has this show been for the past two seasons? Are you telling me I could have actually enjoyed this show before now with no artificial drama? That was so much legit fun, I'm very aware the show hasn't been that for a long time and sucked for it.

Hazard has the cutest cartoon voice. She is a scream. She's like if Harley Quinn sucked on a helium balloon.

Harry's bit with the Break-Up Cube was an epic comedy of ill-manners, including him "explaining" the concept to someone who clearly already got it, and ending with him repeating the message that Wally was Jessie's "first". Frankly, were I Harry, I might have been madder at Wally for that fact, but the scene is hilarious because Harry is the one being so clueless, so I'm guessing even he knew he didn't have a leg to stand on there.

I like Joe's observation that his house has personality. It likes to be heard. What's another word for old? Vintage. There it is.

Lazer Tag is the one game I buy Barry losing at. He is not faster than light. Love Cisco cursing out that kid turning into a compliment when his scowling mother walked by. Hilarious.

Joe's reaction to "I'm pregnant" is pretty much the worst reaction a man can give to that news. I sincerely hope he is in the doghouse for it next week. He deserves it.

Iris' "wedding" at the Church was so bad. So, SO bad. You knew it was gonna fail. The question was merely how. SO funny. When she turns around the picture, I'm totally rooting against her for the first time ever. "Nice coffin." The Allen-Wests suck at small talk.

Sully! Funny cameo.

Great episode. This show is back! *****.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts