"Batman Ninja" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
There aren't that many details about this yet, but this year's New York Comic-Con will feature a first look at a Batman Ninja animated movie.
October 05, 2017, 12:45 PM - 1:45 PM
Main Stage 1-D Presented by AT&T
Warner Bros. Japan and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment team for an eye-popping addition to the Batman animated legacy with Batman Ninja, a spectacular, all-new anime film coming in 2018. Be among the first to witness the premiere of colorful footage from this imaginative take on Batman and many of his connected characters. Panelists will include director Jumpei Mizusaki, character designer Takashi Okazaki, screenwriter Kazuki Nakashima, English-language screenwriters Leo Chu & Eric Garcia and some potential special guests.
Source: NYCC.com

Stayed tuned for further updates.

Frontier

Staff member
So I'm guessing this is going to be a more serious DC/anime collaboration compared to the thing with the Eagle Talon Society :sweat:?

If anyone's curious about the crew, Takashi Okazaki worked on Afro Samurai, another Western/anime collaboration, and Kazuki Nakashima was the screenwriter for Gurren Lagann :).

Last edited:

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Yeah, I heard about that a while ago. To be honest I don't have detailed knowledge of the lore when it comes to comic books even though I read them and get the basics, I'm more into the art than texts, but has there been an Asian Batman before or is this a completely new take? I think this has a lot of potential to be fresh, new and different. Especially visually and in terms of setting. I hope they don't make it mainstream or contemporary and use the concept to the fullest.

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah, I heard about that a while ago. To be honest I don't have detailed knowledge of the lore when it comes to comic books even though I read them and get the basics, I'm more into the art than texts, but has there been an Asian Batman before or is this a completely new take? I think this has a lot of potential to be fresh, new and different. Especially visually and in terms of setting. I hope they don't make it mainstream or contemporary and use the concept to the fullest.
Well, there have been a few Batman Manga now and then (one of which was the basis for a short story in an episode of Brave and the Bold) :).

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
So uh, among other things, the character designer for this is doing similar work for the upcoming fall season anime Garo: Vanishing Line. This is what it's going to look like.

DKHy0pHXUAAWHiH.png

The hype be REAL

Frontier

Staff member
I'm curious as to what exactly this movie is going to be about.

Batman in Japan, fighting ninjas?

Batman re-imagined as a Japanese hero?

Batman re-imagined as ninja in feudal Japan?

I'm also wondering if Lord Death Man might make an appearance...

So uh, among other things, the character designer for this is doing similar work for the upcoming fall season anime Garo: Vanishing Line. This is what it's going to look like.

DKHy0pHXUAAWHiH.png

The hype be REAL
I'd heard about this but had no idea it had a connection to the Garo franchise. Cool :cool:.
I wonder: will this include any of the Japanese studios or crewpersons who were involved in Batman: Gotham Knight?
I'm definitely curious to see which Japanese studio they get to work on this.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Batman re-imagined as ninja in feudal Japan?

I'm also wondering if Lord Death Man might make an appearance...
That sparked an idea. A jidaigeki could be neat. Instead of the classic death in Crime Alley, his clan gets destroyed in some government conspiracy involving the bakufu but he survives and is adopted by a ninja village and is brought up in their ways. As an adult, he starts his quest for vengeance and all these awesome fight scenes ensue.

Last edited:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I enjoyed Batman: Gotham Knight, so hopefully this will be good. Can't say I care for anime all that much, but I'm intrigued all the same.

And yes, It would be a shame if they don't incorporate Lord Death Man in some way...

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Oh wow! I've been waiting for another DC anime film ever since Gotham Knight (No, the Talon Eagle thing doesn't count for now!), and Batman seems like a perfect fit for a ninja movie.

Otaku-sempai

Huh. Guess Eagle Talon had something to do with this.
Maybe, but I would not make that assumption. I don't see much of a connection.

EDIT, 9/23/17: Do we know whether Batman Ninja is intended to be a theatrical animated feature or an OAV/OVA (what we would call direct-to-video)?

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
If the movie is set in modern times, I wonder if there's a chance the League of Assassins might be involved.
EDIT, 9/23/17: Do we know whether Batman Ninja is intended to be a theatrical animated feature or an OAV/OVA (what we would call direct-to-video)?
My guess is it will be direct-to-video, since Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is mentioned in the panel description.

Frontier

Staff member
Well, I think it's hard to gauge who all we can expect to be in this without getting a proper context for what kind of a Batman adaption this is going to be.

Because if it's normal Batman, then it's a question of who all of the mainstays we'll see, but if it isn't normal Batman, then it's a question of how those mainstays are probably going to be re-imagined in this movie.

Otaku-sempai

My guess is it will be direct-to-video, since Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is mentioned in the panel description.
It might be a bit of both: A theatrical release in Japan; and a home-video release in the U.S.; it wouldn't even be an unusual occurrence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts