Disney+ News & Discussion Thread

TsWade2

I was kind of bummed that Disney will not continue working with Netflix(Even though I haven't tried Netflix yet. Sad, I know), but kind of curious of the streaming Disney device will look like. I wonder it'll give us a throwback from old Disney Channel shows from the 1980s and 1990s?

Mandouga

That's what some of us are talking about. Speaking of, though, there is one other thing that this service could feature: the Disney Channel's music specials. It could even include the two Sebastian (from The Little Mermaid) specials that were also released direct to video, along with the Craig and Company "Toontown" special (which commemorated the opening of Mickey's Toontown* at Disneyland). On the other hand, the "Young Musician's Symphony Orchestra" specials might be iffy, since they did those every year. That, and this new service may or may not necessarily feature any of the "cultural" stuff they did (those specials involved classical music, after all), not to mention the "Going Home" specials.

*Which still exists. I checked.

EDIT: Whoops, I kind of goofed. I meant to post this in the other thread about the new streaming service. Sorry about that.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
Disney has decided it will drop Netflix in favour of its own Disney service in 2019 I know that I have used Netflix a lot to stream Disney content. I'm a little sad about this as it probably will mean a subscription to a new service. Weigh in on this though, will it be worth it in the end?

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features...drop-netflix-start-own-streaming-service.html

It's already explained on another thread with the similar topic

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...reaming-service-in-2019.5612981/&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jfoley85

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Disney has decided it will drop Netflix in favour of its own Disney service in 2019 I know that I have used Netflix a lot to stream Disney content. I'm a little sad about this as it probably will mean a subscription to a new service. Weigh in on this though, will it be worth it in the end?

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features...drop-netflix-start-own-streaming-service.html
All Disney content will stay on Netflix Canada. It will only be removed from Netflix US.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
That title makes this sound like Disney already has a streaming service, and Netflix is leaving it for its own.
Even though we know which is which in this situation right now. haha

jfoley85

All Disney content will stay on Netflix Canada. It will only be removed from Netflix US.

Might mean something after all for Canada and other countries too. I've read that Netflix Canada will also continue to carry Disney. Abit confused.

The Disney service will be available in "multiple markets" outside the U.S. as well, taking advantage of Disney's global name recognition.

https://www.news-journal.com/news/2017/aug/16/disney-to-launch-streaming-services-for-movies-liv/

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
I wonder if this move will affect the Disney XD shows on Hulu?

It might. At the very least, the streaming service would carry shows that aren't on Hulu already..
In fact, I don't think they made it clear if this service is only for the movies. Hope it's for more than just that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
It might. At the very least, the streaming service would carry shows that aren't on Hulu already..
In fact, I don't think they made it clear if this service is only for the movies. Hope it's for more than just that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if this means Disney (on the ABC unit) may pull out of its stake in Hulu and do something in the veins of that All Access thing CBS is doing right now.

TheMisterManGuy

Honestly, this move was inevitable considering the company. Disney likes to have a tightly controlled ecosystem to distribute it's content, much like Apple and Nintendo in that context, so it only makes sense for them to make their own streaming service where they can call all the shots. Which isn't a bad thing IMO, as long the content is good, it may be worth a look.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Honestly, this move was inevitable considering the company. Disney likes to have a tightly controlled ecosystem to distribute it's content, much like Apple and Nintendo in that context, so it only makes sense for them to make their own streaming service where they can call all the shots. Which isn't a bad thing IMO, as long the content is good, it may be worth a look.
Let's just hope it doesn't feature the "Disney Vault" concept! I'd rather have some of my favorite Disney movies stay on the streaming service rather than go away after a limited time!

Mandouga

The service will provide movies from Walt Disney and Pixar, and series from Disney Channel and Disney Junior.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/aug/08/netflix-amazon-nerves-disney-streaming-service

Their library is huge so I think it would be stupid to exclude older TV series.

With that in mind, both "Disney Channel" and "older TV series" could mean anything. I mentioned this before, but it is my hope that this service doesn't pretend as though pre-1996/Playhouse Disney-era Disney Channel doesn't exist...

TheMisterManGuy

Let's just hope it doesn't feature the "Disney Vault" concept! I'd rather have some of my favorite Disney movies stay on the streaming service rather than go away after a limited time!

Hey, at least it's better than how they treat some of their TV shows, where you never see them again after they go off TV.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts