My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - News and Discussion Thread II

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
Well, Discordant Harmony and Perfect Pair did indeed make it to Australia and were recorded. Still have no idea why this has happened so frequently this year; it's not like the US has really been that slow about it.

As for the episodes themselves...
Discordant Harmony was as cute as they come, and Perfect Pair may not necessarily be what you expected but you'll probably find it just as good if not better. I'd rather not say too much about them just yet.

What I will say right now is that eps like this and "A Royal Problem" managed to make me rekindle my love of the show after how lackluster I found most of season 6.

Last edited:

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Well, Discordant Harmony and Perfect Pair did indeed make it to Australia and were recorded. Still have no idea why this has happened so frequently this year; it's not like the US has really been that slow about it.
I wonder if this had something to do with Australia not getting the memo that these two episodes will be held off until a time when kids aren't active on their summer break, as viewership has been under 100K for two of the last three new episodes.

Given how good these episodes are (that's all I'm saying for now), it would make sense for Discover Family to hold off these two episode for now and not let the summer break affect their viewership.

VG_Addict

Now that the first half of the season has aired, time to rate the episodes so far, and tell us what you think of the season as a whole.

Toon4Thought

I wonder if this had something to do with Australia not getting the memo that these two episodes will be held off until a time when kids aren't active on their summer break, as viewership has been under 100K for two of the last three new episodes.

Given how good these episodes are (that's all I'm saying for now), it would make sense for Discover Family to hold off these two episode for now and not let the summer break affect their viewership.
I honestly don't think ratings mean anything to the crew and Hasbro these days. If they did then they would've given up on Discovery Family after season 5. Like, I think literally more people watch the show on Netflix than DF at this point.

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
I haven't been keeping up with the current season really, the US being behind didn't help matters much and there's a good number of episodes I still haven't watched yet.

But I refused to miss Perfect Pair and I'm glad I didn't. This is one of the episodes I waited since s2 for and while it wasn't exactly what I was expecting it was worth the wait and just the episode I needed.

One of the things I still really enjoy about MLP: FiM is it's use of implicit storytelling, though they didn't say much about the Apple parents they told enough and with how the characters acted and their expressions. You can still piece together what their past was and exactly what it meant for the other characters.

Bar none of the best episodes of the show.

Toon4Thought

I've only watched half of the season up to this point, and that's because that many peaked my interest enough to make me want to watch them right away. It didn't help that I didn't seem to truly regain interest in the show again until I saw "A Royal Problem". Will probably watch the rest when they hit Netflix.

That being said, the episodes I did see were for the most part quite good, with a few real homeruns within the mix. Definitely a major step above season 6, which - although by no means terrible - for the most part felt kind of lackluster IMO.

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
A Royal Problem was another I saw and it was great, but I digress.

The season isn't "bad" exactly, it's more of own interest slowly drifting elsewhere in recent time. I've been meaning to rewatch some of the older seasons either via Netflix or my own DVD collection, same with the G1 series.

It's hard to be an avid of anything nonestop for close to seven years. I still love the show but I can't find it in myself to hunt down every episode I can like I used to.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I previously talked about what I think of the first half (well, up to Not Asking for Trouble since I don't usually like using unofficial means to watch shows) of season 7 on MLP Forums. I'll copy and paste what I wrote there.
I don't know how I'd rate it, but in my opinion, it's okay. For me, it's pretty much on the same level as the second half of season 6, where I still like it, but I don't get as much enjoyment out of the show as I used to.

zoombie

As for the episodes themselves...
Discordant Harmony was as cute as they come, and Perfect Pair may not necessarily be what you expected but you'll probably find it just as good if not better. I'd rather not say too much about them just yet.

What I will say right now is that eps like this and "A Royal Problem" managed to make me rekindle my love of the show after how lackluster I found most of season 6.

Hey hey, there is a thread for episode discussions. https://www.toonzone.net/forums/thr...hip-is-magic-season-7-talkback.5595501/page-6

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Discovery Family's August highlights have been released and they have the episodes aired in August.
goh4lmE.jpg

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Phew, it looks like I don't have to worry about missing the US airing of one of the best episodes of the season due to Otakon (with me instead missing one that doesn't really sound interesting IMO).

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Here's a promo for new episodes:

It was pointed out to me that towards the end, there's what looks like Toola Roola and Coconut Cream from G3.

Last edited:

VG_Addict

Phew, it looks like I don't have to worry about missing the US airing of one of the best episodes of the season due to Otakon (with me instead missing one that doesn't really sound interesting IMO).

Sorry to ask you this, but how would you rate the season so far?

Also, what episodes are you not looking interested in?

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Definitely middle of the road here.
On the bright side, Starlight is starting to be written like a regular character, and there's a good chunk of episodes that fleshes out the characters and the world of Equestria. However, not counting the episodes of the midseason premiere, there hasn't been too many episodes that hit it out of the park (the only ones that I'd say did it were Parental Glideance and, to a number of viewers, A Royal Problem), with most of them being average at best.

Also, what episodes are you not looking interested in?
Definitely glad that Fame and Misfortune is airing the weekend that I'll be away at Otakon, because the premise of the episode and the clips shown in the commercial (as possibly the song in the ad, which could be from that episode) is giving me some bad vibes (especially one that could be pointing towards "clip show").

Toon4Thought

Definitely glad that Fame and Misfortune is airing the weekend that I'll be away at Otakon, because the premise of the episode and the clips shown in the commercial (as possibly the song in the ad, which could be from that episode) is giving me some bad vibes (especially one that could be pointing towards "clip show").

Funnily enough, among the three I'm actually looking forward to that one the most. I do think the song is from that ep, but it's too catchy for me not to get into it.

I definitely think season 7 so far has been a pretty big step above season 6. For the most part, while there was nothing in that season I hated or anything, I feel like it played it too safe and didn't seem to break much new ground apart from Starlight Glimmer (who, even then, I think could've been executed better in that season) and a scant few eps like "Gauntlet of Fire". Meanwhile, the first half of this one alone has had two actually interesting Celestia appearances, both of the previously-unknown sets of parents, and a greater balance of character eps (I think each of the Mane 6 and Starlight has gotten at least one ep by this point). The overall entertainment value has hit a greater average than season 6, too, at least IMO. Granted, I've only seen about half the eps that have come out, but I've quite liked most to all of them.

VG_Addict

Anyone worried about Triple Threat? I worry it will undo everything S6 did for Spike.

VG_Addict

I don't think I've ever been as worried about an episode as Triple Threat.

I'm worried it'll be as bad as Princess Spike or Spike At Your Service.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts