Leaving cable TV behind (discussion for Sling TV, Playstation Vue, HBO Go, etc)

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I'm still new to all this: Where exactly is this "On Demand" content at on Sling TV?

I found a link that explains it.

Good; that was the missing piece. The cloud DVR is the best thing about Vue though; Sling still needs something similar.

Is "on demand" features close enough though? Looking at that link I just posted, it sound pretty similar to Hulu - you get the latest 4 or 5 episodes for a few days/weeks. So unless you're just wanting to hang on to a show for 6 months, or for a year or two, then "on demand" may be sufficient.

For me: I just don't want to stay up till past-midnight to watch Toonami. If those shows are available "on demand", for $20 a month, in a format similar to Hulu, I may be content now with this service.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I found a link that explains it.

Is "on demand" features close enough though? Looking at that link I just posted, it sound pretty similar to Hulu - you get the latest 4 or 5 episodes for a few days/weeks. So unless you're just wanting to hang on to a show for 6 months, or for a year or two, then "on demand" may be sufficient.
No it's not. They only hold the most popular programs. And CN has no on-demand on Sling.

jaylop97

Staff member
Hulu is really starting to pick up its game given now they want to live stream tv shows later this year, as a person with a Hulu account I do see how good they are trying to step their game.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Posting an article from our own Peter Paltridge here.

Been a while since anyone posted here, but as explained in that link, there's some changes on the horizon:

AT&T is launching "DirectTV Now", a rival to "Sling TV" and "Playstation Vue". I personally have had Sling TV for the last 3 months and it's serviceable. I have one of the basic packages. Was thinking of dropping it next month, but apparently Sling TV is getting a DVR service, a beta version of which launches next month. Thing is, it only works if you have a Roku - but wait, that's exactly what I got when I signed up with Sling TV three months ago! Cool!

So, with this, I'll finally be able to DVR the Adult Swim line-up, so that I don't have to stay up late. I can finally start watching "One Piece!" Wait, what's that? I'm only 400 episodes behind everyone else?!?.......ugh.

DarkAngel

Lord Vader
I personally have had Sling TV for the last 3 months and it's serviceable. I have one of the basic packages. Was thinking of dropping it next month, but apparently Sling TV is getting a DVR service, a beta version of which launches next month. Thing is, it only works if you have a Roku - but wait, that's exactly what I got when I signed up with Sling TV three months ago! Cool!
I had Sling TV, but was running it on my iPad and mirroring it to tv via Apple TV box. I did not find that to be the smoothest process, and eventually switched to Playstation Vue, since I could run that through me PS4.

I did get a roku 2 box during black Friday sales, and if sling tv is getting dvr, maybe I'll consider switching back. I imagine it'll be a much better experience through the roku box. I'll wait until after NFL regular season, though, since I bought Red Zone for the season through playstation vue.

I will ask thought. You called Sling TV "serviceable", and it sounds like you're using Roku. What have been the problems/issues?

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I will ask thought. You called Sling TV "serviceable", and it sounds like you're using Roku. What have been the problems/issues?

The lack of DVR capabilities has been the number one problem. They fix that, they're well on their way to having me as an ongoing customer.

The other problem is the package options. You basically can chose "Sling-Orange" for $20 a month or "Sling Blue" for $25 a month, or get both for $40 (which I'm not willing to pay).

I opted for Sling Blue and didn't read the fine print - I thought I was getting FOX and NBC, but it turns out those are only available in "select markets". I also thought Sling Blue offered "Fox News" but nope...

Also, "Sling Blue" apparently gives me Fox and NBC sports packages, whereas "Sling Orange" gives you ESPN sports packages, but you can't have both, unless you buy the $40 package. Well, I prefer ESPN sports, so part of me would rather have the "Orange" package", but part of me wants the Syfy Channel, so that would mean sticking with the Blue package.

So that's kind of what I'm encountering...

DarkAngel

Lord Vader
The other problem is the package options. You basically can chose "Sling-Orange" for $20 a month or "Sling Blue" for $25 a month, or get both for $40 (which I'm not willing to pay).
I liked the $20 price point a lot with Sling, so I wasn't sure I was going to stick with PSVue at $30/month, but I just loved having dvr (and running it through ps4 rather than iPad), that I stuck with it

Also, "Sling Blue" apparently gives me Fox and NBC sports packages, whereas "Sling Orange" gives you ESPN sports packages, but you can't have both, unless you buy the $40 package. Well, I prefer ESPN sports, so part of me would rather have the "Orange" package", but part of me wants the Syfy Channel, so that would mean sticking with the Blue package.
Do you know how they handle NFL Red Zone? I had to upgrade from $30/month to $35/month in order to get Red Zone for $40 for the season. No problems with the $40 for season of Red Zone, but was not thrilled about having to add $5 per month for monthly package (though I obviously got additional channels, including NFL Network).

If SlingTV dvr works well, and it has better pricing for Red Zone, I could definitely see myself switching back.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Do you know how they handle NFL Red Zone? I had to upgrade from $30/month to $35/month in order to get Red Zone for $40 for the season. No problems with the $40 for season of Red Zone, but was not thrilled about having to add $5 per month for monthly package (though I obviously got additional channels, including NFL Network).

If SlingTV dvr works well, and it has better pricing for Red Zone, I could definitely see myself switching back.

I've never messed with "NFL Red Zone". I've been able to get NFL Network by way of Sling TV, and that's been sufficient for my needs. Sorry I can't answer better.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
A few more players are coming in to the live streaming game. Hulu has plans for a live-streaming service that should be announced soon and YouTube just announced their YouTube TV service starting at $35/month.

Here's the thread where we've been discussing what's going on with Hulu. It's had it's own separate thread because Hulu had more in common with Netflix and Amazon, compared to Sling TV and Playstation Vue...but it would appear these concepts are all melding together.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
A few more players are coming in to the live streaming game. Hulu has plans for a live-streaming service that should be announced soon and YouTube just announced their YouTube TV service starting at $35/month.
Hmm, $35 is a little steep, but it's also the only streaming cable option that includes all the networks. Offering that isn't cheap since you have to air the local affiliate's feed in each area.

But this is missing AMC, TNT and Cartoon Network, so....needs work.

Mandouga

[plays "B.O. foghorn" sound effect]

Oh brother, how predictable.

They're trying to compete with Sling TV, Playstation Vue , and (now) DIRECTV Now (and for that matter, cable TV).

I don't know about You Tube (that's actually another issue), but give me a break, "Hulu"*! You never really wanted people to watch stuff on your site using their TV's (and other "non-PC's") in the first place. Along with pressure from the cable TV companies, everyone knows that's the real reason you started "Hulu Plus"* in the first place. Then, you make everyone watch commercials anyway, and you only offer a completely commercial free (which Hulu Plus should have been in the first place) option years later, AND at a higher price. Now all of a sudden you want to be a(nother) "virtual cable company" (for lack of a better phrase)? I don't know. Personally, this sounds like ego to me. Clearly, it's all the same to you, so I think I'm just going to keep using your original, "real" service*...

*Considering that Hulu was originally a free streaming service, the way I see it, the original "Hulu" is now "Yahoo View" (link), with the service that used to be called "Hulu Plus" now being an in-name-only service, even though it's from the same company.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Leaving cable behind in the US is perhaps starting to make sense, but in other parts of the world it will take a much greater amount of time for it to be even an option. Plus TV is TV. There's something special about it.

jaylop97

Staff member
35 Dollars, that sure is a high number for this deal, though I think it does seem fair.

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
Hulu's live service is getting closer and closer and they've secured another broadcaster, this time with NBCUniversal.
Hulu and NBCUniversal have struck a new deal that will bring NBC and Telemundo stations as well as NBCU’s cable networks to Hulu’s new live streaming service that is eyeing a spring launch. The distribution agreement is for live and on-demand streaming access to NBC, Telemundo, USA Network, Syfy, Bravo, E!, MSNBC, CNBC and NBCSN, among others.
Hulu CEO Mike Hopkins has said that the live streaming service will cost less than $40 a month, a price that will include the current $8 SVOD product. It also will have what he describes as a “world-class cloud DVR service.”

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
Well, Hulu did promise to hit under $40 a month for their live TV service and they definitely did at a generous $39.99 (as a starting price point) :rolleyes:

They also added channels from Scripps Networks, so you'll be able to get your fix of HGTV, Travel Channel and Food Network plus more.

Gotta say having to pay more to get extra DVR storage seems a bit dirty after YouTube did that for free and charging a lot less. Same goes for unlimited in-home streams. That stuff should have been part of the base price. As it stands sure, they have a larger lineup than YouTube's, but their pricing seems a tad overdone. Paying extra for a channel like Showtime is one thing, but basic features shouldn't have penalty fees that large.
With a basic Hulu With Live TV subscription, you can create six individual profiles and view two streams simultaneously. You also get 50 hours of DVR storage. You can pay extra for more storage ($14.99 per month), unlimited simultaneous streams ($14.99), both unlimited storage and simultaneous streams ($19.99) and Showtime ($8.99).

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
A tad high, yes, but it appears the $39.99 covers both the old plan (of having access to their library for $7.99 a month, kind of like Netflix) on the new plan (of streaming live cable TV shows, kind of like Sling TV) so you could look at it like that.

So the live streaming really costs $32 per month, when you look at it like that (there's not an option to buy just the live streaming aspect, though).

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Looking at the lineup in my area, there's currently no difference between what Hulu is offering and what I get from Playstation Vue, which is $10 less. If they had found a way to bring Viacom channels they might have something, but those are not currently there.

Also, they're not offering it on any streaming-capable device I currently own, so it's moot. Given that Hulu Plain can be streamed from anything, I really don't understand that part.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts