"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLemsterPju

You know what's really depressing?

One of the reasons Marvel made this show as a way of giving Disney XD a "top-rated" show. However ever since Season 1, the ratings have slumped big time. Right now it's in the 200,000 - 300,000 viewers range. The kicker? Star Wars Rebels is a far more successful show in terms of ratings and fan-support despite GotG airing right before it. Almost no one is talking about the GotG show on social media and there's only 2 or 3 pieces of fanart ever made for it.

It's really says something when Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. had more attention and better ratings (in the 500,000 range, no joke) than this show. :(

Greg91

Reporter
In Canada, the Guardians episodes were airing after Star Wars Rebels, so they got to follow-up the hype of episodes like Twin Suns and Zero Hour. Hopefully that helped those episodes ratings wise.

But I know what you mean. When I was checking out social media for the hype surrounding the Twin Suns episode of Star Wars Rebels, I checked to see people talking about Guardians and there was almost no one mentioning it.

TheLemsterPju

I think part of it is people who were previously fans of Marvel Animation, before Ultimate Spider-Man soured their taste, are completely avoiding the current Marvel cartoons. (Which is very unfortunate, considering how they've improved.) Even then, Marvel Animation has never reached the same attention as Star Wars or DC's animated works, even during the days of Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I think part of it is people who were previously fans of Marvel Animation, before Ultimate Spider-Man soured their taste, are completely avoiding the current Marvel cartoons. (Which is very unfortunate, considering how they've improved.) Even then, Marvel Animation has never reached the same attention as Star Wars or DC's animated works, even during the days of Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Then again Spectacular Spiderman and AEMH were short lived so maybe with time they would've have had the same attention

Frontier

Staff member

One of the reasons Marvel made this show as a way of giving Disney XD a "top-rated" show. However ever since Season 1, the ratings have slumped big time. Right now it's in the 200,000 - 300,000 viewers range. The kicker? Star Wars Rebels is a far more successful show in terms of ratings and fan-support despite GotG airing right before it. Almost no one is talking about the GotG show on social media and there's only 2 or 3 pieces of fanart ever made for it.

It's really says something when Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. had more attention and better ratings (in the 500,000 range, no joke) than this show. :(
Well, it's tough to top Star Wars, though you would expect it being a lead in for Rebels would benefit GoTG more then it has :ack:.

But ouch at those ratings...I hate bringing this up, because I enjoy the show a lot, but I have to wonder how much incentive XD has to keep it in production if the ratings don't improve? Maybe they're banking on Guardians Vol. 2 drawing more people in? Or does the working relationship with Marvel and product synergy help keep it afloat o_O?

I also wonder why the ratings are low...is it because of the original morning air times? Are the Guardians just not as appealing in cartoon format as they are in live-action? Did the style of writing or the show in general just not click with kids :(?

And I guess kids must have really enjoyed watching a team of Hulks have zany and sitcom-esque adventures with toyetic elements, because that's the only thing I can think of that explains those SMASH ratings :sweat:.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
The ratings are never that high on Disney XD. It's not a high rated network.

I could really care less how much fan art there is. Fan art doesn't determine my level of enjoyment.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
According to Zap2it, "The Symbiote War" story-arc airs on May 6th.

S02, E11 Symbiote War Part One - Wild World 5/06/2017
S02, E12 Symbiote War Part Two - I Will Survive 5/06/2017
S02, E13 Symbiote War Part Three - Thunder Road 5/06/2017

Frontier

Staff member
Wow, a three-parter :eek:!

The "Asgard War" was one of the high points of season 1, so hopefully the "Symbiote War" will be a strong and enjoyable arc in it's own right :).

I'm definitely curious to see what the Symbiotes are like here compared to their last appearance, and from interviews it sounds like we'll get some big stuff for Groot in this arc, so that should be good :cool:.

I wonder if "Thunder Road" implies Thor will be showing up? The Symbiotes have a weakness to electricity, so it would be pretty cool to watch Thor go toe-to-toe with them :D.

TheLemsterPju

I don't know if anyone noticed this yet, but it seems like Disney XD is pumping these season two episodes out at a fast pace. FIVE episodes will air on the 15th of this month, and three will air on May 6th. Along with the episodes that just aired, that's over one-third of the season being aired over the course of a month. I think it may have to do with the really low ratings, so I worry that we may not even get another season after this. :(

Frontier

Staff member
I don't know if anyone noticed this yet, but it seems like Disney XD is pumping these season two episodes out at a fast pace. FIVE episodes will air on the 15th of this month, and three will air on May 6th. Along with the episodes that just aired, that's over one-third of the season being aired over the course of a month. I think it may have to do with the really low ratings, so I worry that we may not even get another season after this. :(
Yeah, that seems really weird that XD would be pumping out all these episodes so quickly o_O.

A part of me can't help but think it might be part of promoting the movie, but there's definitely an air of just rushing through the rest of the series so as to get it over with. Reminds me of how Beware the Batman was treated oh so long ago :(.

Well, at least we'll have plenty to discuss then :sweat:.

brodie999

Yeah, that seems really weird that XD would be pumping out all these episodes so quickly o_O.

A part of me can't help but think it might be part of promoting the movie, but there's definitely an air of just rushing through the rest of the series so as to get it over with. Reminds me of how Beware the Batman was treated oh so long ago :(.

Well, at least we'll have plenty to discuss then :sweat:.
Yeah, I hope they renew it for A third season despite pumping all the episodes so fast.

Greg91

Reporter
My guess? April 15th = Easter marathon, May 6th = Movie tie-in

I really don't think we need to worry about this. As Wacker previously said in regards to ratings, just worry about what’s going to happen next!

On top of that, I'd rather have a multitude of episodes than a drought like many other shows (ex. Justice League Action...). After the Symbiote War three-parter, I think the episodes will be spread out regularly again. So no worries. The ratings are what they are, but Disney seems to be really supportive of Marvel's shows so I think it will be okay. :)

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
My guess? April 15th = Easter marathon, May 6th = Movie tie-in

I really don't think we need to worry about this. As Wacker previously said in regards to ratings, just worry about what’s going to happen next!

On top of that, I'd rather have a multitude of episodes than a drought like many other shows (ex. Justice League Action...). After the Symbiote War three-parter, I think the episodes will be spread out regularly again. So no worries. The ratings are what they are, but Disney seems to be really supportive of Marvel's shows so I think it will be okay. :)
Off topic but GOTG is being treated better than JLA where Cartoon Network seems to just want to murder the show in its sleep.

Frontier

Staff member
Off topic but GOTG is being treated better than JLA where Cartoon Network seems to just want to murder the show in its sleep.
Yeah, say what you will about XD, they've treated their Marvel properties fairly well all things considered. Especially compared to Cartoon Network :sweat:.

spyke

Well that's because the GOTG cartoon (with the exception of origin mini episodes and a few episodes from the regular series) is garbage in regards to writing, animation,and art. The low ratings that this show is getting might explain why they are airing several new episodes back to back. They might be trying to quickly burn through these episodes so that they can cancel this garbage show. IMO, this show would have been a heck of a lot better if they didn't try so hard to reflect/copy the movie and instead be more faithful to the original comics. Synergy with the films,silly stories that talk down to the viewers,terrible art,terrible animation (again, except for a few episodes),and not trying to be more faithful to the comic book versions of these characters (which would give non comic book reading viewers something unique and different from the movies) is why this show is tanking in the ratings.

I also wonder why the ratings are low...is it because of the original morning air times? Are the Guardians just not as appealing in cartoon format as they are in live-action? Did the style of writing or the show in general just not click with kids :(?

The MOVIE versions of the Guardians with the synergy driven and silly/comedic writing style (which talks down to the viewers) are 2 of several reasons why this show is not appealing to kids. Like AVENGERS ASSEMBLE, this show made the stupid mistake of trying to be more of an adaption of the film (with a few elements from the comics) instead of trying to adapt the comics (with a few elements from the films. One of the reasons why BATMAN TAS,THE BATMAN,WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN,and SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN were such huge hits with viewers was because they tried to be more faithful to the comic book versions than the movie versions of those characters, while at the same time trying to do something new and different.

Mod Note: Double Post merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member
The MOVIE versions of the Guardians with the synergy driven and silly/comedic writing style (which talks down to the viewers) are 2 of several reasons why this show is not appealing to kids. Like AVENGERS ASSEMBLE, this show made the stupid mistake of trying to be more of an adaption of the film (with a few elements from the comics) instead of trying to adapt the comics (with a few elements from the films. One of the reasons why BATMAN TAS,THE BATMAN,WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN,and SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN were such huge hits with viewers was because they tried to be more faithful to the comic book versions than the movie versions of those characters, while at the same time trying to do something new and different.
I think that's doing the show a disservice.

I mean, obviously the show has taken a lot of visual and characterization cues from the movies, but I think to it's credit it's also brought in plenty from the comics that were not in the movies and been able to establish itself as it's own entity separate from the films. We're certainly not going to get something like the Adam Warlock scene in today's episode in the movies anytime soon.

Of course, I also want the shows to stop aping the movies as much as they have and draw on more from the comics and be more original, but I don't think that's a major issue for Guardians in particular. I also think there's still some writing, animation, and quality issues the cartoons could still address, but I also feel that's been steadily improving as of late.

And I doubt it's the movie synergy that's hurting the show's ratings since Assemble, which has arguably been even more defined by the movies, doesn't seem to have the same issue as far as I'm aware.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Personally I think Guardians is a pretty well-written show. And while there is some synergy with the live-action movie, the show has touched on some stuff that hasn't happened in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (and in some cases, might never happen). We had J'Son back in the 1st Season in what was probably the show's best arc, we had Thor as a guest-star alongside Angela, and now we're getting Mantis as a villainess and Adam Warlock.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't think the show is that bad, or mirrors the movies as much as some say. I like it and find it entertaining enough. And I don't really care that much about what the ratings are since those are not always the best way to determine a show's success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts