Upcoming "Star Wars" Feature Films and Series News & Discussion Part Two (Spoilers)

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I don't know what is supposed to happen in Episodes 8 or 9, but if 9 was supposed to have a key scene between Leia and Kylo Ren, I'd hate for that to just be scrapped. I'd rather a new actress play the part.

I don't think it would be a good idea for Leia being recast for Episode IX. I think the key scene is most likely for The Last Jedi than Episode IX. I rather have Leia being killed off screen than being played by a different actress in Episode IX. No-one can ever replace Carrie Fisher as Leia. I just can't see someone else playing her other than Fisher. I do think Episode IX could take the Star Trek Beyond method like they did when they mentioned Spock Prime's death after the death of Leonard Nimoy.

I'd hate for 9 to have big rewrites just because one of the stars died no matter how associated she is with the character.

Here's the thing: It's actually common for films to have major rewrites, like for example: Fast and Furious 7 had major rewrites prior to production restarting after Paul Walker's death as Walker's character was originally going to appear in Fate of the Furious before the writers decided to retire the character instead of killing him off. It's better not to recast Leia and I probably don't think that the screenplay has finished writing.

Now, if it is just some minor screen time she was going to originally have then it isn't a big deal, but it sounds like her role was supposed to be bigger in 9.

Well, it's most likely that her role will probably be given to other characters.

I wouldn't want them to write Daenerys out of Game of Thrones if Emilia Clarke died tomorrow.

There's a difference: Game of Thrones is based on a book series and Star Wars isn't. A recast would be inevitable for Daenerys if anything wrong happened to Emilia Clarke since she's one of the main characters of the book series, like Harry Potter had Michael Gambon playing Dumbledore after Richard Harris' death.

To quote Spiderzilla:
Recasting Leia for Episode IX is all kinds of wrong. If Disney was planning to use her in that movie, than rewrite the movie. It's not like Episode VIII which is already shot, they have time to form a plan on what to do for Ep IX. There are some roles you just don't recast, and Princess Leia is one of them.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, I'd rather they go with someone else stepping up to lead but not necessarily Poe.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
What about that Asian man at base during the briefings, he seemed to be in an authoritative role? I recognize the actor but I don't know his name.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
What about that Asian man at base during the briefings, he seemed to be in an authoritative role? I recognize the actor but I don't know his name.
That guy from the later years of Lost? Ken Leung. He was Admiral Statura in TFA. Good call.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Yeah, he was one of the FBI guys in Red Dragon, that's where I knew him from. (I never watched Lost, and apparently he was one of the Brotherhood in the X-Men movie we do not talk about.) The only other one I can think of is Admiral Ackbar, but his actor has also passed away. Recasting him wouldn't be as big a deal, but it might spark backlash given the character's fanbase and charm.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Yeah, he was one of the FBI guys in Red Dragon, that's where I knew him from. (I never watched Lost, and apparently he was one of the Brotherhood in the X-Men movie we do not talk about.) The only other one I can think of is Admiral Ackbar, but his actor has also passed away. Recasting him wouldn't be as big a deal, but it might spark backlash given the character's fanbase and charm.
Actually, I think they probably have recast the voice role of Ackbar for The Last Jedi as Timothy M. Rose is returning as the suit actor for the character.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Last edited:

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Over on the blu-ray.com forums, someone posted Disney's theatrical release schedule for the year, and there's an "untitled Disney fairy-tale" coming up in July I think it was. I don't see how Disney could have kept a new fairy tale movie out of sight this long, even with their massive sniper network. It could be the rumored 40th anniversary theatrical re-release of the uncut Star Wars (aka A New Hope). Or it could be the special edition, or even something loony like The Rescuers. That's also turning 40. XD

But still, if the OT were to see an unaltered re-release, now that the Mouse is in control and not "those aren't my films anymore" Lucas, I could see it happening eventually. If not this go around, perhaps for the 50th anniversary in the big "mega set" with 1-9?

the greenman

If Phoebe Waller-Bridge is playing a droid, I'm beginning to suspect she will be TC-70. That was Jabba the Hutt's protocol droid (female version of C3-PO).

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
I honestly never realized that droid was supposed to be female. I just knew it liked disintegrating things. XD

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It's being reported Tatooine, Mustafar, and Endor will be seen in flashbacks in VIII and IX. Sounds like some backstory of Kylo Ren.

You know, I don't recall Star Wars ever really doing "flashbacks" before now...

But I also don't recall a Star Wars film picking up immediately where the last film left off, there's always a "time skip" up till now...

the greenman

I actually wanted no crawl for Episode 1 anyway. We saw no crawl for Rogue One. I think this is a bigger universe, but so long as they stick to Lucas vision of how things work; fine. I just don't need ultra violence, cuss words, or things in these films that tether it to this life. I really didn't like the senate crap. I don't care for the alien species that just happen to look exactly like Native Americans (Yeah, but Star Trek explained all that).

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
3/24: John Knoll, who did the 1st pitch for Rogue One, is working on a second pitch of a stand alone. he's 3/4th done.

You know, I don't recall Star Wars ever really doing "flashbacks" before now...

But I also don't recall a Star Wars film picking up immediately where the last film left off, there's always a "time skip" up till now...
Well, in terms of movies, they started in VII with Rey. The other 6, hmm, I don't think so. Visions yeah, but flashbacks I'm not sure.

4/7: Trevorrow confirmed a draft is done.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
4/7: Mmm, again, I don't know if that's the way they should go. It really depends on Leia's role in IX, imo. It's strange for the family to speak out about granting the right when only a draft is done or maybe that's just a peak into the production cycle. I thought for sure they would have killed Leia in TLD since they offed Solo in TFA.

4/9: The second Aftermath novel, "Life Debt" provided some interesting clues - namely the importance of Jakku and a candidate for who is Snoke -- and even some post-The Return of the Jedi events.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts